Votes: 130 52.8%
  • Alternative Leader for existing civ

Votes: 16 6.5%
  • Something diffirent from leaks

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it make sense for Phoenicia to get access to other Civ's UUs? Do they have a merc tradition?

Edit: It seems like Carthage had: link

Carthage had grown by the 3rd century BC to control Northwestern Africa, Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia,and large parts of Spain. Militarily it was unique in its heavy reliance on mercenaries to fight its wars abroad. Monetarily this was not a problem due to the Carthaginians vast wealth gained from trading all over the Mediterranean. Carthaginian citizens did train for battle, but only fought if there was an immediate threat to their homeland.

Abroad the Carthaginians used mercenaries, notably Spanish (Iberian) soldiers recruited from their territory in Spain. They brought heavy infantry, as well as cavalry and light troops such as javelin throwers and slingers. From Africa, Numidians provided light cavalry, among the best ever produced by any nation. They rode without saddles and bridles, controlling their horses by using their riding sticks and voice commands. They also served as light infantry using javelins and slings. Another large population that the Carthaginians drew mercenaries from was Celtic peoples of modern day France and Northern Italy

I would love for an ability that gives Phoenicia access to mercenaries that replaces the UU. That would be AMAZING.

The way they caricature all the leaders, that could be quite humorous. I wonder if they've hit their shirtless men quota yet.
We already have Aladdin leading India in the game, though. :mischief:

Would it make sense for Phoenicia to get access to other Civ's UUs? Do they have a merc tradition?

Edit: It seems like Carthage had
The overwhelming bulk of Carthaginian forces under Hannibal were Iberian, Celtiberian, and Gaulish mercenaries, and there's evidence that the Phoenicians hired Cretan and Philistine mercenaries as well.

I would love for an ability that gives Phoenicia access to mercenaries that replaces the UU. That would be AMAZING.
Matthias' city-state levy ability would have been perfect for them.

I wonder if Phoenicia is going to exclude the possibility of Carthage entirely (in a hypothetical third expansion)? If so, her leader ability might be Founder of Carthage or something like that. I could see them sort of fusing the two. Maybe the first city you found on another continent is guaranteed to be Carthage and it has special effects to go along with it?

Do you suppose we will get young, mustachioed Suleiman

Young Sully. As we have the young Pedrinho (little Pedro in portuguese). It will be Dom Satan number 2 in game with a crazy agenda to drive us nuts.

But for this I wanted the leak to be wrong and we get Mehmed the Conqueror. I don't think anything about pirates could fit Suleiman LUA...

Waited to vote until seeing the livestream. After the llama proved to be right, I'm not doubting the hints again. Ottomans it is.
I wonder if Phoenicia is going to exclude the possibility of Carthage entirely (in a hypothetical third expansion)? If so, her leader ability might be Founder of Carthage or something like that. I could see them sort of fusing the two. Maybe the first city you found on another continent is guaranteed to be Carthage and it has special effects to go along with it?
Carthage's suzerain ability already was moved to another city-state so it's presumably going to be a Phoenician city in this expansion.

I wonder if Phoenicia is going to exclude the possibility of Carthage entirely (in a hypothetical third expansion)?
Having both Phoenicia and Carthage would be rather redundant IMO, especially with Dido of all people leading Phoenicia. If we need another Levantine civ, Palmyra has a very compelling leader and would make a nice stand-in for a thousand years of Aramaean history...

Young Sully. As we have the young Pedrinho (little Pedro in portuguese). It will be Dom Satan number 2 in game with a crazy agenda to drive us nuts.
Sultan Satan. :p

Hard to argue with that footrest. Vote changed.
It was actually the catapult and ships in the background that tipped me off; I didn't even notice the footrest. :p

Having both Phoenicia and Carthage would be rather redundant IMO, especially with Dido of all people leading Phoenicia. If we need another Levantine civ, Palmyra has a very compelling leader and would make a nice stand-in for a thousand years of Aramaean history...

Sultan Satan. :p

It was actually the catapult and ships in the background that tipped me off; I didn't even notice the footrest. :p

The catapult and ship has been there for most of the livestreams, except the times the set was decorated for the holidays.

The catapult and ship has been there for most of the livestreams, except the times the set was decorated for the holidays.
I hadn't noticed them before; I guess I was used to the Christmas set. I just remember the llama previously sitting next to the barbarian bust. :p

I need to learn about the history of the Ottoman in today's Let's Play. Did it come with the rest of the furniture? When did they realize they were going to use it as a hint?

I predict Dido will start out at sea like Kupe. I remember them mentioning several times in the Maori livestream that other leaders could have that ability...

I predict Dido will start out at sea like Kupe. I remember them mentioning several times in the Maori livestream that other leaders could have that ability...

I think that was more for the benefit of modders who could copy it and apply it to numerous other groups, Polynesian or otherwise.

Also, it would be cool to apply it to a Colonization scenario. Have all the civs start at sea and have to find a place to settle on the fringes of a single continent.

I predict that the Ottomans will be a military-focused civ that doesn't really play into GS. Because of that, they'll go last.

Most importantly, did it come from IKEA?

And was it bought with a gold credit card, to get a 20% discount? :D

I once doubted the livestream hints, but no more. Going to vote for the Ottomans with young Suleiman.

Since I'm pretty sure they're getting the unique governor, I wonder if they'll get a unique governor district to go along with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom