Votes: 130 52.8%
  • Alternative Leader for existing civ

Votes: 16 6.5%
  • Something diffirent from leaks

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So they just write things in some weird way. I am not a native speaker of English, but I would just cross out the "tile" in the end and that's it. As Mart Twain's quote for Writing Tech in game says, "writing is easy. All you have to do is cross out the wrong words".
I think they just word every entry the same way so they can cover weird edge cases that they might not have anticipated.

Another coastal settling incentive would be to make it so that the Cothon is both a City Center and a Harbor, providing both bonuses in one as well as all its buildings. This would open up one district slot in coastal cities.

A drawback would be to not allow settling anywhere but Coast/Lake.

Another coastal settling incentive would be to make it so that the Cothon is both a City Center and a Harbor, providing both bonuses in one as well as all its buildings. This would open up one district slot in coastal cities.

A drawback would be to not allow settling anywhere but Coast/Lake.

I like this idea. And the city center mentioned above kind of makes sense given they redesigned city center graphics to include the ship port. I am looking forward to Phoenicia either way.

I like this idea. And the city center mentioned above kind of makes sense given they redesigned city center graphics to include the ship port. I am looking forward to Phoenicia either way.
If they have to, they could make the graphics stick out into the adjacent ocean for the lighthouse, etc.

I also don't understand Canal. Cothons don't go anywhere.

Here's why I think a Cothon could be a canal replacement.

Cothons were kind of inland harbours and canals are automatically placed on coast tiles ; a cothon replacing a canal would then be on a coastal tile, and with some artistic rework could look like an inland harbour. Cothons could, above classic canal advantages, provide production bonus for ship building, enhancing trade limit by one and enhancing bonuses for trades routes crossing cothons.

Thematically, if FXS goes with the idea that a cothon is an inland harbour, a canal would be the best replacement: a district that you have to build on a coast tile where ships can navigate.

Ofc I know that a cothon is not a canal but a harbour. But a bath is not a zoo, and yet Hungary completely reworked the zoo to make it a bath, keeping bonuses (amenities) but changing the flavour, the artwork, well, the all thing. It's not at all a zoo, and yet noone makes a fuss about it. Same with Rome: Baths are not Aqueducts, au contraire : they need aqueduct to be build and are the result of aqueduct providing fresh water to a city.

You see it with the wrong eye. You should not see cothons as a canal replacement per se, but more like a district built on coastal tiles and improving trade and shipbuilding that could be used as a canal in the purpose of linking the city center to the sea. "Cothons are not canals!" I hear everywhere; well Hansa were not an IZ and more like CHs but nobody is blaming Germany.

That plus the tacit rule of "No more that one Unique district replacement" plus the fact that, for now, none of the new districts have unique replacement, make me think that Cothons are unique replacement for canals.

Reading this article, https://www.mikeanderson.biz/2014/11/the-great-harbor-at-carthage.html, we can speculate that Cothon could be UD replacement for 3 districts: City Center, Harbor and Canal. Harbor already has a UD and if the rule one UD per district kind is not broken now, then we could have Cothon as a UD for City Center or Canal. It could work for Canal, as Canals are, in their basic form in game, a way for ships to pass land tiles and also a way to improve the yields of sea trade routes; as a Cothon, we could have a Canal with militaristic edge. As a City Center replacement we could have an unique gameplay, banning Phoenicia from settling inland, what would be cool for gameplay and also fit historically.

Voting Ottomans

upload_2019-1-17_19-5-53.png

Lol. That's the most blatant clue yet. And we were all so sure they'd be last. That tells me Phoenicia is really cool mechanic wise if it's the last civ reveal.

Reading this article, https://www.mikeanderson.biz/2014/11/the-great-harbor-at-carthage.html, we can speculate that Cothon could be UD replacement for 3 districts: City Center, Harbor and Canal. Harbor already has a UD and if the rule one UD per district kind is not broken now, then we could have Cothon as a UD for City Center or Canal. It could work for Canal, as Canals are, in their basic form in game, a way for ships to pass land tiles and also a way to improve the yields of sea trade routes; as a Cothon, we could have a Canal with militaristic edge. As a City Center replacement we could have an unique gameplay, banning Phoenicia from settling inland, what would be cool for gameplay and also fit historically.

The Aerodome, Dam and Spaceports all lack uniques too. I doubt Phoenicia will end up with any of those though :p.

Since I didn't see anything purple in the livestream, or an alphabet, I'm voting for the Ottomans, based on Pete placing his feet on the ottoman.....

But I would not be surprised if next week has no Civ reveal.

Wow, I was certain Ottomans would be last. Oh, well. Hope they're better than previous incarnations.

Reading the Wikipedia page about "Barbary corsairs" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_pirates), I just came across this "From 1587 to 1659, they were ruled by Ottoman pashas, sent from Constantinople to govern for three years". They hinted about the pillaging bonuses from a new unrevealed civ. We have the not so much subtle hint from the Pete's footrest. Well, I guess the Ottomans are next, with the unique governor Pasha and something about corsairs. I think that would rule out the Janissaries, though they could be Ottoman UU and the unindentified Corsair unit is a unique from the Governor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom