Votes: 130 52.8%
  • Alternative Leader for existing civ

Votes: 16 6.5%
  • Something diffirent from leaks

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I guess the Ottomans are next, with the unique governor Pasha and something about corsairs. I think that would rule out the Janissaries, though they could be Ottoman UU and the unindentified Corsair unit is a unique from the Governor.

If that is the way they implement it, it would be very clever and unique. fingers crossed.

If that is the way they implement it, it would be very clever and unique. fingers crossed.

The only thing that seems weird for me is that they used to link most things to the leader - Civ 6 is a way more about the leaders than the civs - and that timespan is after Suleiman's death. Don't know which way they are goind, but we can speculate a lot.

I mean, they severely miscounted the unique improvements, so perhaps they miscounted the new unique units for the civs as well, but, if they didn't, there's simply not room for the Ottomans to get both the Janissary and a Barbary Corsair.

Even though the Ottomans were a strong naval power, I would vastly prefer the Janissary, followed by the Sipahi, followed by the Great Bombard, finally followed by the Barbary Corsair. It's way down there on the list for me.

I changed my vote to the Ottomans based off, well, the ottoman.

Reluctantly changing my vote. I was getting kind of excited for a Phoenicia reveal. Officially I was wrong, it's kind of cheesy changing a vote, but might as well since it's available.

Did anyone have a screenshot of the globe? No clues there?

Reluctantly changing my vote. I was getting kind of excited for a Phoenicia reveal. Officially I was wrong, it's kind of cheesy changing a vote, but might as well since it's available.

Did anyone have a screenshot of the globe? No clues there?

Someone said the globe showed Phoenicia, but they are rather close together.

I don't think this is correct. Rome was without the Legion in Civ IV, but Ottomans were without the Janissary in Civ III.

The Praetorian was pretty much the Legion in my mind. I don't think Rome has ever not had the Legion represented in some form or another.

As for the Janissary, it would just add salt to the wound if they weren't included. They have a model from the Polish scenario already done and everything.

Someone said the globe showed Phoenicia, but they are rather close together.

Went back and looked, and at least at the start of the stream, it shows South Africa. So yeah, pretty much have to go with the Ottoman clue since his feet are on the ottoman at the start of the stream.

I dislike the idea of Ottomans = Pirates. There's so much to derive abilities from and the barbary angle is but a footnote. I'd rather they give such abilities to Phoenicia, but I suppose we won't know until either is announced I guess.

What makes me think "PIRATES!!" won't be an Ottoman ability is because it's fairly irreconcilable with a Unique Governor ability. Adding an additional governor is not feasable without a bonus to accumulating governor titles (unless the UG replaces an existing Governor). Maybe the Ottomans get two UUs...

Would it be possible for the Ottomans to have the unique governor as the Pasha, with one of its promotions being "You can no build in this city Pirates Corsairs units", while leaving the Janissaries as a UU for the civ itself ?

Could fit with the trend of GS to give more that just one UI and one UU (great path for Pachacuti, queen's bibliotheque for Kristina, black army for Matthias, unique fort for the Maori UU... a UU with the Unique Governor could fit).

Corsairs as part of a Governor Ability is something I could live with :) However, Ottomans aren't the civ for that ability.

Fortunately, there IS another civ that could fit a piracy theme:

The Phoenicians were also known to commit acts of piracy in connection to the Slave trade. With time, the pirates of the Mediterranean became more organised and formed companies derived from their ancient seafaring traditions.

Shipbuilding and navigation were their inventions, and for a long time were entirely in their hands. Phoenician shipwrights were employed to build the fleet of Sennacherib: Phoenician mariners were employed by Necho to sail round Africa. But they could not forever monopolise the sea. The Greeks built ships on the Phoenician model, and soon showed their masters that kidnapping and piracy was a game at which two could play.

Piracy has occurred throughout history. In the ancient Mediterranean, piracy was often closely related to maritime commerce, and the Phoenicians appear to have engaged in both, as did the Greeks, the Romans, and the Carthaginians

So, yeah.

Corsairs as part of a Governor Ability is something I could live with :) However, Ottomans aren't the civ for that ability.

Fortunately, there IS another civ that could fit a piracy theme:

So, yeah.

Well, when they first say another civ would have bonuses against pillaging, I automatically thought of Phoenician. It's only on this thread or on the livestream one that I saw everybody talk about Ottomans, so I followed the crowd :mischief:

Well, when they first say another civ would have bonuses against pillaging, I automatically thought of Phoenician. It's only on this thread or on the livestream one that I saw everybody talk about Ottomans, so I followed the crowd :mischief:

Because on Civ V the Ottomans ability was Barbary Corsairs. But for many Civs they changed their mechanics from 5 to 6 so I guess you could be right about that. I hope so, because that Ottoman ability was dull and I never like much playing with them.

Do you suppose we will get young, mustachioed Suleiman
They seem to be focusing on changing up returning leaders (except Gandhi), so I'm expecting young mustachioed Suleiman with a turban the size of a small asteroid. :p

I mean, they severely miscounted the unique improvements, so perhaps they miscounted the new unique units for the civs as well, but, if they didn't, there's simply not room for the Ottomans to get both the Janissary and a Barbary Corsair.
Unless they've gone really wild and Phonecia has no UU at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom