What will your first Strategy Be?

I made the mistake with Civ3 of starting our on the easiest setting and winning easily. It was great to win the early games but I developed really poor strategies which I then had to unlearn. This time I will start with whatever setting makes me and the AI equal, no bonuses to anyone. My first game my goal is just to survive as long as possible and get a feeling for the game. As much as I would enjoy winning, I am hoping to get destroyed my first several games. I want an AI which will be challenging without receiving bonuses and I want to have to spend time learning the game until I am able to compete with the AI.

...see them driven before me, and hear the lamentation of the women!

Yah, yah, politically incorrect, but I didn't come up with that line. :D

A small, peaceful Civilization that everyone loves, who dominates the game in culture. Then come 2049 - or one turn before cultural victory - out with the nukes!

What's most fun for me is to have a random civ chosen for me and then come up with a strategy and winning condition to match them. Makes each game exciting and different.

jguy100 said:
A small, peaceful Civilization that everyone loves, who dominates the game in culture. Then come 2049 - or one turn before cultural victory - out with the nukes!

Yup, that's the Christian way! :p

Large map, fewer opponents, level with no advantages to either me or the AI, and just see if I can figure out how to build up a civ with the new mechanics. Then I'll try to learn war.

I'll play on a medium level, where AI amd human both have no bonus. Not interested in a quick win, want to see as much of the game as possible.
In particular, I want to found at least one religion and make many Great People.

Jawohl!

I'm starting with exploration and technological advancement on a random scenario for my first few games on Civ4. I'll really only want to start from scratch at one of the easier difficulty settings, learning what I can about how the game plays and whether or not I can actually make a splash in the little virtual world that Sid's game will build for me. Given what I've read so far about the new version, it'll be quite a bit different from the old "pump 'em out and smash 'em up" that Civ3 was giving me, so early fast expansion of empires may be out of the question.

Which might be a good thing, considering how much I hated to see hordes of settlers and other units hopping past my border cities...

My typical thing:
1. Build tons of improvements
2. Build wonders only in my capitol
3. Control wars with various War treaties and have the other civs destroy themselves while I sit back and watch.
Easy setting:crazyeye:
Persia:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
And much patience:king:

eldar said:
First up, I'll be trying for a spaceship win. For the simple reason that I'm kind of assuming it means needing every tech in the game, or as near as possible, so it'll give me a chance to see what everything does.

This is how I like to play most Civ's.

I like to be somewhat peaceful, but at the same time I like to see all the different techs and units.

And with this being a brand new game, I like to take it out for a "test drive" a few times at the lower difficulty settings, just getting a feel for the game.
I'm more of a tech "whore" than a warmonger. I like seeing all the new techs, wonders, and units in every new iteration of the series.

My first game will be with Asoka, in which I will try to be a "builder", consistently improving infrastructure, and try to win by Space Race or Diplomatic. Level is Noble.

I generally go for the Space Race victory at first, since you get to explore the entire tech tree for that. Also, as I'm test driving the game, I usually raise the turn limit to 1000 so I can research everything. Then I declare war on everyone on earth because modern warfare is, in my opinion, more fun than ancient warfare. After that, I'll play through the game using various other styles, depending on how I'm feeling (I don't like to play each game the same way).

I like to develop a highly defensive posture with lots of units on all my border cities and heavy roads and worker development. Then I gather an overwhelming force near a strategic place and orchestrate a pretext for a precision strike to capture the best concentration of valuable territory. Then I fortify and begin working tiles while I destroy all enemy units and less valuable cities around my newly captured subjects.

I'll probably fall back to my ages old failed tech-warlord habit. That is, rush tech as much as possible, especially those techs that will improve my research capabilities. Try to get significant lead on opponents so I can crush them with my technologically superior units. Fail in that and go for spaceship win instead :D

Cities cost in CivIV, so I think there is no much sense in early expansion and warmongering. I believe it would be better to focus on culture, technology, city and tile improvements. And crush the enemies at the late stages of the game. Cool!

I think I'll play my first game as Saladin and the Arabs with absolutly NO victory conditions on, then I'll see how the AI works and how the game works.I'll go for score wictory, because with that you need to be balanced. After a few of those games I'll see what other vicktory i can try to win at.

I'm gona start with Germans:rolleyes: and exp. with the units and get use to how they work. Once I'm use to 'em, I'll go with an all out war game:ar15:Then I'll try culture/religion. I like that, now, cities cost $$$ to build and units take longer to make, so it won't be the meele of units/rapid empire expansion that Civ3 was.:goodjob:

Basically, my strategy is that I'm going to lose so I might as well learn as much as I can along the way.

I'll just keep building until some jerk civ comes along and starts bullying me.

I'm going to take this real slow, spend a lot of time playing with the tables and figuring out how everything works. I'lll take a few breaks to discuss things here while reading a few pages of the manual.

Master strategy, I'm afraid, will have to come later.

Top Bottom