1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the most unbalanced custom race you've ever made (MOO2)?

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by malicious bloke, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Denkt

Denkt Reader

Yes, maybe.

My strategy have been to rush computer techs as you need the research when playing as feudal. Ship tech can lag behind a bit as you can still win with low tech ships and feudal make them cheap. As soon as you get to the mid-late game you have basically won as feudal creative have far better ships that are far cheaper than everyone else and feudal overall economy is perhaps only second to imperium only because of the barrak morale imperium get. Feudal get cheaper ships and imperium get more command limit so they can build more smaller ships instead of a few large ships that feudal is excellent at.

Democracy and especially unification tend to get poor in the late game as they get worse morale and cost alot of points to pick and their upgrades are nowhere as impressive as dictatorship or feudal.

Another build is the boarding race, 20 ground combat, high g and maybe telephatic (I have heard it either allow you to always board ships or allow you to use captured ships in combat). Simply build ships without anything but boarding equipment, small ships are best because you will destroy the enemy crew in combat with these race picks and thus these ships tend to be really cheap.

There is also the +50 ship defence, transdimensional and warlord combination which makes your ships really hard to hit in combat. Research everything that increase ship defence such as augmented engine and jammers also use the smallest ship classes as they have more speed and thus harder to hit.

Because the enemy have very hard time to hit your ships, each of your ships should be able to defeat multiple enemy ships and thus you should win.

2. Alex2018

Alex2018 Chieftain

Today I've won as modified Bulratti (High G + 20 combat, uni, large HW) vs ICE-X modified (by me) Klackon. Through editor I've gave it "ruthless expansionist personality", + 2 production, farming & research, +100 growth, unification, and normal research (I've removed uncreative). Drawbacks were: low g, repulsive, -10 ground combat, and -10 spying drawbacks. Too bad the AI was dumb... Rather than going for better ship combat tech to knock my ships out, it went for better ground weapons which didn't help it much. I've managed to over run it - even while it had a huge advantage in planets technology and industrial capacity.... Maybe I should try to give AI player even more racial advantages and play more as normal race (uni +1 production)

3. Volcanon

Volcanon Chieftain

The AI makes enormous doom fleets in mid/late game on Impossible and sometimes makes a decent ship design (other times it makes doom stars with thousands of nuclear missiles). Fleets so big you hit the ship limit and you'd have to battle for three turns straight to blow it all up.

To increase the challenge you'll have to make the AI smarter, not keep heaping on bonuses. All the bonuses will do is make their citizens even better (already I'd populate my entire empire with Klackon citizens with those bonuses), which means they would pwn you harder in the early game if they can or otherwise zerg rush you when they sense weakness.

4. Alex2018

Alex2018 Chieftain

The strange thing is that AI seems to behave very differently. I almost never had large enemy fleet when playing 1 on 1. Only sometimes when playing vs 7 ai's. Sometimes one race (usually Sakkra or Silicoid) on the other side of the huge map would do this. But then, not always.

Today I've won on ICE-X vs 1 impossible ai which I've edited to be (unification, subterran, +1 production, large rich HW) and "ruthless expansionist" as personality.... I tried to play as democracy-creative-aqutic- large & rich HW (usually I always play unification production race and exceed research), average galaxy, huge, prewarp. Even with this race by the time I attacked the AI (somewhere after 200s turn), they had mostly laser/fusion beams and proton torpedoes, while I had battleships which had lots of mass driver, structural analyzer, hyper-x, high energy focus with which I was beating all their ships in single turn. And in like 20 turns I had almost all of the techs. Then I've left one planet and defeated guardian with a super tech cruiser...

How do I actually make AI smarter (rather than just giving them super bonuses)? It is sad when they are hopelessly outmatched late in the game.

Attached Files:

5. Alex2018

Alex2018 Chieftain

Question is how to actually make it (to make the game difficult is easy. Just give them too much bonuses and slap 7 ai on the map. But how to make AI smart?). Today I've played another game on ICE-X 18a with AI being ruthless militarist (uni, +1 prod, subterran, large/rich/artifact homeworld).
    I’ve won the above game at turn 261. The opponent was ruthless militarist… But even though AI had 2x the amount of colonies (but quarter the quality) as I did, I easily overmatched AI in all other respects. He had only like 5-10 battleships and the technology was very limited. Neutron blaster, graviton beams & class 3 shields. Star bases had like proton torpedo. The best defense was energy absorber… When I finally attacked, I was winning battles usually in the 1st combat turn.

Below is the graph from turn 230.

Attached Files:

6. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Chieftain

I don't normally play Demo races, but just for fun, I thought I'd try your race Alex. Demo, Cre, Aqua, LRHW.
    I didn't know your negative Picks, so I chose -10 G.C., Food-0.5 and Low-G.
    Hard, Huge, Avg size, 8 players.
    The first 5 races that I met (Gnolam, Alkari, Psilon, Trillarian and Human) ALL have Democracy! WTH?
    Humans always had it. I forget if Psilons have it now.
    I know that on hard and Impossible, the AI gets bonus race picks, but all the same one? That's annoying. I was actually getting spied on by the Psilons, the other Creative race.

EDIT: Yea. I see Psilons and another have it, so 3 of the 5 have it standard in this mod, but all appearing next to me? and 2 more close to me get it also? smh.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  7. Alex2018

Alex2018 Chieftain

Negative picks are repulsive (always), and low-g, -ground combat, as needed. Never -10 on spying for democracies. Only if you play unification.

As for Demo races. I don't like them and usually do not play them. Only on ICE-X the pick cost is changed so I play different races.

My favorite custom races:
    ICE-X (when vs 1 ai) is Bulrati like race (High G, +20 ground combat, large, rich HW). Use assault shuttles AMAP.
    On 1.50 it is Uni/sub/1 production + large HW vs 7 impossible AI.

The biggest difficulty is that when there are lots of opponents, typically there will be 2 comps near you. With their cheating bonuses it is hard (maybe even impossible) in the beginning to defend against them. At least without sacrificing the long term. Meanwhile some distant silicoid or sakkra race could expand like rabbits and be too tough.

8. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Chieftain

I used to go Repulsive a lot as a negative pick, but since it doesn't take that long to get a Food tech, -0.5 isn't that bad so long as one takes at least 1 food bonus related tech, such as Aquatic, Unification or Cyber. When choosing all 3, it's a no-brainer. Being able to set up Research & Trade Treaties plus Non-Aggression Pacts and Trading techs come in handy. I have even given a low level worthless techs to an AI just to make them happy. They usually send their fleets off to attack someone else, giving me more time to build up my fleet. Better to fight fewer fleets than more. :)
    The better Leaders are just a bonus.

9. Alex2018

Alex2018 Chieftain

MOO2 is so good because multiple ways are possible.

Personally, different people have different experiences, playing impossible without repulsive wasn't that good. I had a peace treaty, then suddenly psilons attacked me nonetheless. Exchanging technology is not that crucial (unless one is uncreative). If AI has a huge fleet/tech advantage & aggressive personality, I would be finished anyways.

I'd much rather lay low in few systems, have a minimal defensive anti-ship fleet to deter the AI from attacking, and then come out ASAP with super titan that could defeat almost everyone and with planets building titans very quickly.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  10. Alex2018

Alex2018 Chieftain

Another race that I like.
    Unification, subterranean, aquatic, large homeworld, repulsive, and - spying or gc. After I got android workers, I've built a LOT of them, so I was also tolerant in that respect.

I just played and won on huge, impossible, average mineral age, antarans on, 8 players.
    Even though I got "aggressive expensionist" near me and two other races, I've won quite easily with dozens of doom stars at 341 turn. 2 Opponents finally had stellar converters on their bases... But not a single shot was fired from them.

Attached Files:

11. Alex2018

Alex2018 Chieftain

How about this unbalanced race...
    Feudal, -1 research (yes, minus 1 research on top of feudal), Charismatic, Fantastic trader, subterran, aquatic, large homeworld, -gc. After evolutionary mutation I've added +1 production. I've won either by getting Antares, or through conquest... But it took a LONG time and had >100s of doomstars vs 100s of opponents doomstars...

Attached Files: