What's your biggest blunder?

Yes, the only difference might be when you hit "L", instead of a list of galleys named "galley", you'd see the names of your transports, but you can still unadvertedly hit "L" when a transport is selected, and if you don't see the "Disembark" message instead of "Load", you may start to unload all your trasports, and would have to repeat the process endlessly, or at least until you suspect something's not right :p

latest one, Egypt just to the south of the core of my empire, since the start basically all my expansion has been northward, most of my units are at the northern frontier, egypt are hopelessly behind in tech, late middle ages and I see that their border towns each only have a couple of spears, and F3 tells me my military is strong compared to them. So off to war I go, turn one of war take one city and line up on the second, turns out that why they are so far back is that all they have done is build swords and horses for the whole game and they have about 40 of each. Needless to say my attack was easily squashed and the huge stack of horsemen razed its way to my capital within a couple of turns.

It was kinda stupid but in the Scenario "Rise of Rome" I played as a Carthage. (Yes, I like this faction!:cool: )

My first objective, I made, was to conquer Sicillia. I knew, that the Romans had very much Military forces, so I started to build a Army for an Invasion. But the Romans attacked already my Cities in the Northern-Ost directions. I hardly treid to defend my "empire" but somehow, I loosed about 30% from my cities. I really need to get out of this...:cry:

Build lots of elephants and pare rome down early, or you'll certainly lose the scenario. I won the Rise of Rome by the skin of my teeth as Carthage, you just have to keep Rome from getting huge.

I still forget to monitor the luxury slider and make my capital riot in the early stages of the game. It's not that big of a hit on Regent/Monarch, but playing on Emperor that 1 turn could mean getting that source of iron or not.

I was playing a Warlord game with CivAssistII on. It said Osaka was about to riot when a turn nearly started. It had almost finished the Mausoleum of Mausollus and I was going through all my workers.

I thought I had a swordsman ready to move, but I didn't. I went through all my workers and instantly it went through to the next turn.

Osaka riots, Vikings build the Mausoleum. Rage.

Was racing the egyptians to a newtons, and building ToE in another city with quite a while to go, was fast running out of gold so sold scientific method to egypt to fix my cash flow problem, just beat them to newtons they switch to ToE and get that, if I had waited a couple of turns they wouldn't have had all those shields waiting to give them a head start to ToE

I had a whole heavily fortified line stretching across a narrow part of a continent. I mean stacks of about 5-6 units per square with upgraded forts at each spot. Not to mention a decent technological lead of the guys just east of this line.

Thinking this was pretty much impregnable, I started a war with them. What I had neglected or forgot to remember was that I had a city at the very northern end of the line. I had forgotten to fortify that, so I had a very strong line with an incredibly weak point at one end.

Needless to say the AI hit that weak point, overran it, and proceeded to take two more cities before their turn was over.

There was hell to pay afterwards, as I completely destroyed their ability to make war. Basically ICBM's to each of their cities and where a lot of their troops were bunched up.

Not my biggest mistake but my current mistake. Continent's game, standard map, and it's a true cold war. Of the 8 Civs, 4 are left, and the other 2 AI are just OCC quite literally.

So it's the Ottomans (44% land) me (44% land) we each own one side of the map, and though all victory conditions are enabled, the only satisfaction is to win by domination at this point. And I've began nibbling away at a few islands outlying the AI continent, as well as knocked out the 5th Civ's OCC island which lay just off the coast of the AI continent.

Unfortunately, the AI got flight and started mass producing bombers like crazy. And of yes, I have naval superiority, but my fleets which I thought were safe as well as my tenous holdings on the few island outposts surrounding the Ottoman homeland is being pounded into smithereens.

People complain about the AI's handling of airpower, but its usually in the context of total superiority against an AI opponent or numerous such opponents. Against a large AI, it's another matter. The AI understands how to mass bombers just fine.

Guess you better get some fighters and Flak/SAMs built and in place to guard your islands, and pull your ships out of range, or your navy will soon be a submarine force.

The bulk of my navy is on the opposite side of where the bombings are taking place on coastal patrol and still anchoring off the newly conquered Iroquios continental island.

My carrier force did receive quite a bruising before I had to retreat it back to safe shore.

The biggest strategic issue for me now is a guadalcanal-like scenario of a strategic quagmire, as I have conquered a string of islands they own, just off the ottoman mainland This put me within bombing range of large swaths of the continental empire, but it also put my islands at risk. The bombers came on with such intensity and size it has caught me by surprise and a defending Mech Inf. has been killed, as well as a destroying and trasport. An airport in a nearby island in the same island chain, is near completion (can't cash rush as I'm in communism) and I've sent back my lone transport back to the mainland for reinforcemens.

It's turned out to be a very fun big power confrontational game. I had hoped for more of a cold war style confrontation with various small civs to manipulate, but the Ottomans grew so big on their continent, that they now own it completely. And they're clearly no pushovers, they had to take down the Persians and Inca's to do it, 2 civs that usually does very well under AI cotnrol.

At around this time, I was mopping up my own side of the planet, which consisted of one smaller main continent and a smaller Iroquios island continent plus various island chains. As a result the conquests was much slower, and my Iroquious invasion turned into a 20 turn stalement beofore I could finally gain control. My initial landing force not meant to be strong enough to break out of the mountains they were fortified on, but rather as a bait to bleed the AI dry, as I slowly ferry troops over to build up my forces. But the landing did not go as planning as my stack took heavy losses as the AI threw all 3 of its armies plus various units at my landing force (i'm playing on my Epic mod which allows AI to get armies). Even with Infantry on mountain fortied, I very nearly lost all my defending cover.

To compound the situation, the Iroquois navy interfered with my reinforcement fleets, redlining the frigates and managing to sink fully loaded galleons on two occasions, so what was meant to be a landing to bleed the AI before I gradually push out, turned into a epic sea battle involving, 20-30 frigates and ships on both sides. I had to gain total naval superiority before I was able to begin my conquest of their island continent in earnest.

but I'm getting off topic!!!

Every game i bulid subs and every game i risk sending them out and every time the sub bug gets me.

Today i am playing as England, going great at peace with the world, decided to send a a few nuke subs to my island off the south of spain. So they are in reach of madrid if they get to close to launching a space ship.

anyway they have to sail through a tiny bit of my allys koreas sea.

sure enough korea runs one over with a battle ship.

sub bug issue can be fixed by modding your game to have subs be hidden nationality. but subs are not that useful really. The AI knows where they are. So if you really need ships to scout your enemy coast, just send destroyers to do the job and move them out of the culture zone to end the turn.

If you insist of having subs, navies are better deployed in stacks. So you have have subs in a stack of ships to protect it from AI subs using stealth attacking to sink your loaded transports idling off your coast /ending their turns near enemy territory or your carrier fleets. (yes I've had an AI nuclear sub sink a carrier in a stack of ships before... thankfully, the airwar of over or i'd be in a bind)

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that since subs can't stealth attack other subs, if a submarine encounter a stack of surface ships with another submarine in the stack, it will attack the submarine first, thus submarines provide some measure of security by absorbing attacks from the AI's submarines until they are sunk.

wow a even bigger blunder today. So in my game iv been playing it is in modern age, i have all tech and a awesome but some what small developed technologically advanced empire. i have the UN and iv bulit 9 of 10 space ship parts. But iv been having fun playing around. The biggest country in the world spain has also got 9 of 10 space ship parts, but i know where they are making the last part and i sabotage it every time.

So last time i checked it had 6 to go, so iv got to time. But 3 turns later i inspect again and wow it has 1 turn to go.

Now iv gotten use to my spys working, i stole a ton of technology this game, and iv blowen up there last space ship part like 5 times without getting caught.... but this time i get caught.
I immediately set London to bulid the last part, which will take 4 turns, and i go to war with them.

I have SDI and about 20 icbms, and 15 tactical nukes. Spain has 8 icbms and some tactical.
I decide to nuke the town making the last part hopeing it will delay it for 5 turns.

Im not a mad man, so i send 1 sub to nuke the city. And start my conventional war.

Spain launchs all 8 at me, 3 get through i lose i 3 biggest citys. But all my core is nice, so york starts buliding me a new palace, and Wellington (my naming) starts buliding the new space ship part.

I let all my nukes hit them, and the celts nuke them 8 times as well.

two turns later they leave earth on a a space ship.

I lose, when i could have won 100 years ago

occupying or nukeing? is it capital of there city that has apollo project, it isnt their capital.

anyway the games over. once i saw "you lose" its over

I'm playing as Germany and I send my marine from my galleon to my city AND GUESS WHAT!!!! It attacks my marine that's fortified there! It's CIVIL WAR!

@char81: How did that happen?

@char81: How did that happen?

It's a known bug. I forget the exact trigger, but it usually shows up in the modern era. When it occurs (which isn't all the time), it causes your units to attack your own units when they are moved into the same tile.

The solution is to shut down the game, then restart and load from the previous autosave.

Top Bottom