What's your biggest blunder?

I saw that an AI Civ was rapidly closing in on the 160,000 needed to win a culture victory on a huge map. On the last turn before they would have reached that number, I decided just to go out with a bang my entering into total war. The turn came and went, and the game didn't end.

Then another turn. I couldn't figure out what the heck was happening:confused:

Then I remembered that caveat about 160,000 points and at least twice as many as any other civ. I surely would have lost on the histograph anyway, but I could've kept playing for another 40 years or so because they really weren't anywhere close to a cultural victory.

not so much biggest blunder as my most regular blunder. Waiting just a few more turns to get a few more medieval infantary before going to war only to find in thoese few turns the ai has just got feudalism and has upgraded to pikes and medieval infantary

This was couple of years ago, but: leaving 16 or so modern armour in a foreign capital to have it flip 2 turns after it was conquered. Then reconquering and have it happen again, because I didn't know yet that flip probability was culture related and thought it was purely random.

Yikes, yeah that hurts. :) I'm totally paranoid of losing my stack to the culture flip, so I usually garrison it with however many troops I need to pacify the resisters and leave the rest of my stack on a tile beside the city just in case. ^_^

And if the city burns... run!! :lol: I always move all my units just outside the city when it is in civil disorder. Better to recapture it the next turn, risking some units in the fight, than leaving them there and risking them WITHOUT a fight!

I voted for an opponent once just to get it over with.
The outcome was inconclusive and would still have been inconclusive even if I'd voted for myself.

Hmm, either accidentally clicking despotism after anarchy in my first no-reloading game. Or selling a second supply of iron to Civ B, right before declaring on Civ A, while Civ A's borders were cutting of my sea route to the second iron supply's harbor town.

Putting a musket man into a Sipahi army?

Trading my furs...when I only had one supply?

Ya know when you conqueor a lot of railed territory, and sometimes the culture barriers are such that there is an open rail route right to the heart of your new zone of control? Undefended cities seem easy for the AI to take >:O

I think I'll try switching to mobilization, even though my next war wont be for at least 20 turns (Damn deal times).

My favorite though, before I learned more about corruption, I would build courthouses in EVERY city! That's right, I would sometimes take the 40/80 turns (I forget which) to build a court house at 1 shield per turn!

Similar to Matrix's blunder, I abandoned Chengdu, a city that was about to get captured by a human when I wouldn't be able to recapture it, just before realizing the Great Library was in it. Good thing it was obsolete and not making culture.

I voted for an opponent once just to get it over with.
The outcome was inconclusive and would still have been inconclusive even if I'd voted for myself.

This is a bit off topic but, don't you think that no one should be able to vote for themselves and everyone has to vote.

Anyone can vote for themselves in any other kind of election (usually), so why not the UN vote?
Or is that an actual UN rule?

PS: The link in your sig doesn't point to a video. :f

Just started playing Vanilla Civ 3 again (never got any expansions and comp is too bad for Civ 4) and I've already got a huge blunder under my belt.

It was a Huge Pangea map with about 6 comps and me. The Aztecs, who are 2 civs away from me, are the largest civ and decide that they want a tech from me. I say no and they declare war. I then laugh at them while I sign an alliance against them with every other civ in the game. About 20-30 turns later, they want peace and since I'm not doing anything in the war anyways, I accept. Now all my allies hate me, and to make matters worse, I forget and end up signing a MPP with the Aztecs, forcing everyone to declare war on me too. Luckily, I was still on Chieftan and the response was two Calvary from the Zulus. Also, I don't think the Aztecs even lost a city.

Anyone can vote for themselves in any other kind of election (usually), so why not the UN vote?
Or is that an actual UN rule?

PS: The link in your sig doesn't point to a video. :f

Oh wait. That was something I just thought of. That shouldn't be okay. But I still think you shouldn't be able to abstain because what human player is going to vote for another player?

Thanks for pointing out the link is broken, I fixed it.

Maybe that they shouldn't be able to abstain, that might work.

Well, last night I was playing a 20k game and I decided to use my second Military leader to rush the Heroic Epic. I marched him from the front and he got to the capital just in time for the build to start.

What did I do? I hit "disband" instead of "hurry production" and absent-mindedly OK'd the popup before I realised what I was doing. :eek:

It seems I'm the king :king: of blunders! So i decided to dust this old thread a bit and add my most recent one... one that actually I do very often :sad:

I move all my transports to a city in anticipation for a BIG invasion! Then I send all my units to the city and keep them there fortified. When the time comes, I wake everyone and hit "L" repeatedly to start loading my transports:
Spoiler :

:crazyeye:

I've done that....

It seems I'm the king :king: of blunders! So i decided to dust this old thread a bit and add my most recent one... one that actually I do very often :sad:

I move all my transports to a city in anticipation for a BIG invasion! Then I send all my units to the city and keep them there fortified. When the time comes, I wake everyone and hit "L" repeatedly to start loading my transports:
Spoiler :

:crazyeye:

I have not run into that, but I normally spread my transports out a bit. Does that hold true if you name the transports?

Top Bottom