• Carthage

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Ethiopia

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Greece

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hannibal brought big bad Rome to its knees in real life... right after crossing the Alps and losing half of his men that way. Also, Financial is perfect for funding the veteran units you will get with Charismatic. The Cothon is arguably one of the better UBs in the game, and its synergy with the Financial trait and the Great Lighthouse (if you can get it) is perfect.

No India?

Fast Workers are by far my favorite unit. So useful!!!

Inca. Their UU, IMO, is alright, as some have stated, for chokes and rush, but their UB is what seals it for me. A granary, almost always the first building, if not build in new cities for me, gives culture. Traits are pretty good too. Joao of Inca, if you play him, is just so full of win, but Huayana is pretty good too.

Persia.
Good selection of traits overall, love the UU + I've always had a special interest in the history of Persia. And I played my first ever game in vanilla as Cyrus.

Personally, what I find works best for overall success with anybody is building military units. I've found that if I build two cities on indentical plots of land with an identical resource layout (my control), and I start by building a couple military units in one, and a building in the other, that the one that built the military units constructs buildings and wonders much faster, along with building other military units faster, and is a more productive city in the long run than the city that started off by building buildings. Just a strategy to think about.

TOP 3 SO FAR:

Rome-12
Inca-11
England-9

This is the championship so far, so if you don't like it vote for your favorite. And if you already have, tell other people to vote!

Personally, what I find works best for overall success with anybody is building military units. I've found that if I build two cities on indentical plots of land with an identical resource layout (my control), and I start by building a couple military units in one, and a building in the other, that the one that built the military units constructs buildings and wonders much faster, along with building other military units faster, and is a more productive city in the long run than the city that started off by building buildings. Just a strategy to think about.
How does this happen? A city's hammer yield doesn't change if it builds a building instead of a military unit. (Unless, of course, with buildings like Heroic Epic or Military Academy, but I assume you are starting these cities from the beginning, with nothing.) You must be doing something different - building different improvements, working different tiles, etc.

How does this happen? A city's hammer yield doesn't change if it builds a building instead of a military unit. (Unless, of course, with buildings like Heroic Epic or Military Academy, but I assume you are starting these cities from the beginning, with nothing.) You must be doing something different - building different improvements, working different tiles, etc.

I honestly have no idea. The only explanation that I can think of is that the food production is higher when you build a military unit, because the labor for building buildings and wonders is greater than that of a unit, leading to higher food consumption. It's a stretch, but that might be a reason.

I honestly have no idea. The only explanation that I can think of is that the food production is higher when you build a military unit, because the labor for building buildings and wonders is greater than that of a unit, leading to higher food consumption. It's a stretch, but that might be a reason.
No, food isn't affected by build.

It could be that the computer automatically switches tiles depending on what you're building...I know it does that for some builds.

No, food isn't affected by build.

It could be that the computer automatically switches tiles depending on what you're building...I know it does that for some builds.

Maybe, but I don't know. I'm just saying that it worked for me, and it might work for other people too. I would like to know why the game does that, but I just have no clue. There's a reason for it out there somewhere, but I don't know it. I'll look into it some more and see if I can find a better answer.

Hannibal brought big bad Rome to its knees in real life... right after crossing the Alps and losing half of his men that way.
You mean, right before he ultimately lost to a fledgling Roman state and sealed Carthages fate as doomed? Rome wasn't the empire yet, the military reforms of Marius made that possible. Give me a break.

ROMA! ROMA! ROMA!

All my Carthage games have been a ton of fun. Color me Carthage. :)

You mean, right before he ultimately lost to a fledgling Roman state and sealed Carthages fate as doomed? Rome wasn't the empire yet, the military reforms of Marius made that possible. Give me a break.

ROMA! ROMA! ROMA!

I think you reject the fact that Carthage almost defeated Rome with its superior tactics and warfare, and that Rome only held out because of a 3:1 military size ratio and Fabius (who was the only competent person of Rome at the time).

Plus, RFC purposely gives Hannibal an awful start (and Rome a brilliant one) to even up the matchup.

Carthago. Wins.

Hope I didn't spoil your day :D:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::D

I chose the Netherlands because they're fun to play as (the dykes are really satisfying, even if a bit over-hyped, the traits are solid, and the UU is great on watery maps) and because the real-life Netherlands is cool.

I think you reject the fact that Carthage almost defeated Rome with its superior tactics and warfare, and that Rome only held out because of a 3:1 military size ratio and Fabius (who was the only competent person of Rome at the time).

Plus, RFC purposely gives Hannibal an awful start (and Rome a brilliant one) to even up the matchup.

Carthago. Wins.

Hope I didn't spoil your day :D:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::D
Ummm... ok.
Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear strikes. There are a lot of almosts out there.

Anyhow, the cothon is one of the best UBs in the game in my mind... but the Praet more than makes up for that.

Germany. Both leaders have good, solid traits (I prefer Bismark for combat and Freddy for peaceful games), not the best in the very beginning, but great in the mid-later game period. A lot of people say that the Panzer is a useless UU. I don't know... I play Marathon speed games, and at Immortal level or so. I am usually on par or even slightly behind the AI in both techs and military by Industrialism, so the enemy has access to tanks. BUT... Panzers get a 50% bonus against other tanks. They dominate in open-field combat, and once a fev of my artilleries have pounded a city, Panzers take down whatever tanks are in the cities as vell. Just my personal experience. And the German UB is great if you vant some serious production in your cities.

A close second would be Persia. Cyrus has imp/chm, which is hands down the best warmonger combo there is. Early game domination with the Immortals, and by the later game, it doesn't matter, because everyone else is dead or tiny due to your immortal rushes. ;)

Then maybe Rome or England... both very decent civs.

A close second would be Persia. Cyrus has imp/chm, which is hands down the best warmonger combo there is. Early game domination with the Immortals, and by the later game, it doesn't matter, because everyone else is dead or tiny due to your immortal rushes. ;)

Darius is nuts for cottage/buro ridiculousness, and it's very easy to rex with him since the immortals are city defenders/barb control all in one.

The chariot is a sick unit, the UU's of it are amazing, and the civ's that have them really open up some cool options early game from my limited experience.

Since there is no Russia, I voted for my second favorite civ, the Persian. Gotta love that Immortal rush.

Ummm... ok.
Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear strikes. There are a lot of almosts out there.

Anyhow, the cothon is one of the best UBs in the game in my mind... but the Praet more than makes up for that.

Reminds me of when I had copper (no iron) as Julius :(

K, I guess I'll accept a draw with Rome, but never with the Dutch. Knocked out Brazil :(

Ah who am I kidding. Germany, if not Uruguay, will kill the Dutch.

Top Bottom