What's Your Most Disappointing Game?

By far - stronghold - thought is would be the new LotR II - it is horrible - nice graphics, but the missions are horribly repetitive - and you have to build a new castle each time - can never use the one you made last turn - the game sucks and I want my money back

My worst was the Turkey game Destiny from about 4 years back. It had lots of good ideas, but they were put together in such a misguided way that the game was a complete fiasco. It was a true micromanagement hell.

OTOH I didn't fall for Civ 3 :D

Originally posted by MajorGeneral2

Well, I was exaggerating. I'm a HUGE Nintendo loyalist, and HATE most other systems, because I find them inferior. But, I'll admit that Sony has released some good games, but they can't match Nintendo overall. So, let me rephrase my last comment: Most games for PS2 and XBox suck.
YOU MARIO HUGGER!

oh and on the topic for most dissapointing games that would have to be Civ2.

I expected it to be sooo much better than Civ1 but it just the same damned game with the same problems.
Not that its bad but man it wasen't REALLY much of an upgrade.
I expected more with that one and Civ3 matched my expectations for Civ2 :lol:

PS 1 and 2 are awesome, PS2 rocks!
I'm also a huge Nintendo fan.
Zelda rocks!
They decided not to make the new Zelda look like Paper Mario!
GTA3 is awesome, so is Max Payne, Devil May Cry and Burnout.
NCAA final four 2002 sucks, too easy to score
No real disappointment that i can think about

Another game I was disappointed about was Swing for the PlayStation (and PC). I got a demo of it and absolutely loved it but then it was never released. I can't think why since the game was a puzzle one and was basically finished on the demo (which fades to black after 2 minutes).

I can not decide wether it is Throne of Baahl (if add-ons count) or Civ 2.

ToB was a huge let-down, I could barely bring myself to play it through once.

Civ 2 was a huge, and I mean huge, disappointment when first playing it. I really loved Civ 1 and somehow I expected the sequel to be a divine masterpiece. However, after not playing any civ for about a year, I tried it again and got more stucked to civ than ever before. So in the long run, Civ 2 was no disappointment at all. In fact, it is one of the best games I have ever played.

1. SW Rebellion. I echo the comments of above, so much promise...so little product.

2. Privateer. I suppose this was okay, but when "I read the box I had visions of Han Solo. The game just didn't live up to those visions. Too much fighting in a game that should have had more options and story. A let down for me in the wing commander universe.

Mob Rule was absolutely the worst game that I have ever wasted money on. The box makes you think that it's has great possibilities, but it turns out that it's only a simcity ripoff, and a terrible simcity ripoff at that. CTP had potential, but just did not match up to Civ2.

Originally posted by Mikoyan

What was so bad about it? I think it's a great game!

Do you want the long story, or do you prefer the short one?

Originally posted by Centrifuge
Mob Rule was absolutely the worst game that I have ever wasted money on

What's Mob Rule?
And btw, yeah I always hated CTP1 and 2 awful interface. It was quite annoying and accessing anything, including city window was really a pain in the ***.

GenghisK: "What's Mob Rule?"

Mob Rule, is a game that I wasted about 45 bucks on. It's a "real time Strategy" game, that is supposed to be about building a mob style crime syndicate in the style of the Sopranos or The Godfather. Unfortunately, it does not live up to expectations. In the game, "The Godfather" sends you on missions. The missions all tend to be fairly lame, such as building pool halls etc. So you end up playing a game that feels a lot like SimCity but a lot worse because it is not replayable in the way that SimCity is. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Originally posted by Mikoyan

The Long Story, please.

Ok, the long story it is.

IMO Baldurs Gate was a great game. The story was well componated, there was an exiting element of exploration in the game and there was also room for much role-playing. Most missions could be completed in a few different ways, there was a significant element of choice. Add good graphics and a polished feeling and you have a winner. I liked BG tremendosly.

Then came the sequel, Shadows of Amn. While still a good game, the story was not as good and IMO the element of exploration was not as significant. It is difficult to explain exactly why, this is just a feeling that I have. The environment was not as well thought through as in BG. When playing I often got the feeling that the designers did not really know why some of the locations were even put in the game, they were just added for the sake of making the game larger.

Nevertheless, SoA was a good game.

Then came Throne of Baahl, supposedly the spectacular ending of the series. Since both BG and SoA (especially BG) were good games I had high expectations of ToB. But in ToB almost every element that made the two previous games so good were completely missing. The good graphics was still there, but that was about all.

In previous titles you could chose what missions (except the main story) to complete, but in ToB the designers had just thrown in a handful of dungeons to mop up. There were no different solutions nor any room for role-playing, just a straight line for you to follow. There were a few "test" supposed to force you to choose between "good" or "evil", but these test were just another chance to get your character killed and had absolutely no impact on the story whatsoever. All in all ToB was no RPG, but a dungeon crawler- game.

I am well aware that many people like ToB, but I did not. Hopefully I have managed to at least partly explain why.

Return to castle - Wolfenstein 2 and Championship Manager 2001/2002.

I had heard so many persons recommending it but when I got them they were just pieces of **** and I played for 5-10 hours in the games and since I have not touched them.

Ay I forgot GTA2 and GTA3. I still play GTA1 because it is so great and because that none of the other GTA games reaches its heights

Top Bottom