When do we start?

seanwel

Emperor
When do we start this bad boy? I am excitied to learn new styles and strategies...Is there any estimated start date? How many turns are completed in 24 hours?

Easy there son! We will start whenever all the details of the game have been decided. A new President has to be elected and a Council. You can see all these things being discussed in Dell19's threads. Go there and vote and post any suggestions. That's what a democracy is all about.

We should be ready to start at the end of this month, depending on how things go.

Well, it's actually been a while and I would hope that we could start a bit earlier than the end of the month. We seem to have a pretty good idea as to the map/game parameters, naming systems, and the nominations should be up and finished in a day or so. That only leaves the election itself - so I'm thinking that we should be able to start up next week (the 22nd perhaps).

There are a lot of new people coming by - which is great. I just don't want to lose them to all of this downtime.

What say the rest of you? Ready to get this big ball rolling? :)

I say that we should wait until the end of the week to see if anyone else wants to volunteer for a position and to find the results of the elections but then if Dell wants to play straight off then we'll go with what he wants. :)
As I said in another thread, I'd like to see the game screen, list of techs, world map etc. so that we can start to discuss things like city placement, exploration and early research. This wouldn't allow anyone to play the game though. I'm good to go whenever you want though!

I quite like the idea of us just starting the game, then discussing the initial choices to see where we will want our capital and what to research and then playing the first proper turns a few days later.

Dell,

If you'd like to send me the final results of the map/game/rival parameters then I can get that to Smash to develop the map. Or I guess you could send them to Smash straight away...:) Once we have the map, we can at least see our starting position while other things are discussed.

In the mean time, we can continue to have nominations and elections and discussions on namings and things. The good part here is that we're already pretty well set on most procedures, so that won't get in the way.

So what say we have nominations up to Thursday and begin the election on Friday. The election can finish up sometime on Monday where the cabinet members can start posting polls. It'll be nice that we'll know how many settlers we have to start with, what techs we're given from the outset, etc.

Later that week, the president should be good to go and start the first batch of turns.

ONWARD!

Well I hope that we will start with 2 settlers, given that the game will definitely be at Deity level, but with that sneaky Smash who knows what he will give us! ;)
He'll probably want to challenge us but I'm up for it! Who knows, we could even make history by being the first Demo game to lose! :)

Go, team, go go go.....

:)

Have some "campaigning" (nominees post what they want, people ask, etc.), then elect by the end of the week, done by Sunday, Start the game by Monday. Urrrrahhh!

Indeed, Starlifter, I've just put up a "campaigning thread" for our nominees.

So far, this is what I have to send to Smash with our voting:

1. We will be playing Deity level
2. The map will be coninents and islands
3. The map will be medium-sized
4. The game will be saved as Civ2 Classic
5. The name of our civiliztion is New United Fanatica (still think New Fanatica is easier)
6. We will give Smash a list of former enemies and request that they NOT be included. Smash may choose from the remaining civs as he sees fit.
7. Restarts off
8. We will have huts
9. We will NOT be given all tech choices each time a discovery is made

I think that the only thing left is to decide which color civ WE should be. It's agreed (I think) that we should not play yellow this game, and that maybe we should not play purple either (for the key civ thing). Do we need to post a poll on this or shall I have Smash just pick one of the remaining colors himself?

Is there anything that I'm missing? Age of the world I can leave up to Smash as well, unless people have very strong opinions one way or another.

I'm happy for you to send off the request with the information you have now. It'd be nice to get the map as soon as possible and it doesn't matter which civ we play because we'll be renaming all the cities anyway. I'd wait for tomorrow to see if anyone objects to your sending that information off but I'm fine. :D

I don't think we really need to choose anything else. If anyone wants to play as a particular colour then they could start the poll and see what others think.

Sounds pretty good.

- NORMAL (50x80)
- DEITY
- 7 CIVS
- RAGING HORDES
- CUSTOMIZE RULES:
-- Select Opponents
-- Don't Restart Eliminated Players
- GENDER (Hmmm.... )
- SELECT CIV: (Which do we want?)

Since a highly experienced human is involved (Smash), I also suggest this:

Generate couple three maps with the parameters. Take a look at the whole map, in particular the starting sites. If any AI have weak starting sites, generate a new map. We don't want sucky civs by a random fluke, if possible.

The other thing is this. Once a suitable map is picked (since we have the fortune of human oversight in teh creation of this game), I suggest ensuring each AI has two NON settlers, not just one (some usually have just one settler). This is to give a more competitive game. I'm aware of the game's method for computing starts, but we will have 2 NONs, and I think all AIs should, too, irrespective of starting location and starting techs

OK, I'll send off to Smash.

I don't remember a poll on it, but I think we did agree to Raging Hordes with respect to barbarians (as listed by starlifter as well). I'll PM Smash and get him started!

There are quite a few things that haven't been polled but its likely that must people will not mind what they are...

Top Bottom