When should I give free Gold to the AI to prevent a war?

Up-keeping a tribute is small potatoes. Once you max out the modifier (goes very deep into the bright green), it degrades at 3gpt. You can't afford 3gpt for the key civs you want to be friends with? Its the initial investment that's costly (hence mid-late game, instead of all game long).

Again, bribes never made you any friends. Tributes do. A bribe creates enemies, which is important, but just once. Repeated bribes are much more expensive for non-super expansionist civs. A civ will often only stay at war for a dozen or so turns, and on Deity, they replenish their troops in another dozen. How much is an RA worth to you? Add that value on top of the 3gpt upkeep.

By tribute I just mean gifting gold (or anything else, but you'd have to run the math conversion on other stuff).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks adwcta, I am going to try this in my current game and for the next few. I just had India ask for a lux (which I granted), so when that runs out, I will switch over to 3gpt. We are friends now, but another friendly civ (on a different continent) warned me that Ghandi is plotting against me, and I have already been DoW by the other two neighbors on my home continent!

Thanks adwcta, I am going to try this in my current game and for the next few. I just had India ask for a lux (which I granted), so when that runs out, I will switch over to 3gpt. We are friends now, but another friendly civ (on a different continent) warned me that Ghandi is plotting against me, and I have already been DoW by the other two neighbors on my home continent!

You do have to fill the tribute first. 3gpt is for the upkeep. The initial investment is 500 gold (I like doing 300, 300, 100, 100, then more 100s, per 30 turns). This is for civs that normally give you fair deals (you can test by offering a lux and seeing what it'll fetch, 7gpt is fair). You have to pay more if they don't offer you fair prices, but the diplo cap for this modifier is the same, regardless of their views towards you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom