When the heck did Windows take over my machine?

hbdragon88

haunted by blackness
As long as I've remembered, I always have set it so Windows downloads Automatic Updates but that I install them. For the past horu Windows has been bugging me with messages, "Windows will shut down in the next 5:00 to fully install the Automatic Updates." I go into my Control Panel, check out Automatic Updates, and WTF? The option was changed from "Notify me" to "Automatic."

When and why did Windows do this to me?

Maybe you installed an update which reset the setting? :confused:

The hell. :mad:

Windows restarted my computer for me, WITHOUT my permission, even though I CLEARLY said I didn't want to restart now.

*kicks Windows*

I think it's time to permanantly migrate to another OS. Windows has frozen on me for three times in the past week; this is completely out of control.

Microsoft still owns your operating system, they can still do anything they want to it. You only buy the right to use it.

You should really read the User agreement more closely. ;)

hbdragon88 said:
As long as I've remembered, I always have set it so Windows downloads Automatic Updates but that I install them. For the past horu Windows has been bugging me with messages, "Windows will shut down in the next 5:00 to fully install the Automatic Updates." I go into my Control Panel, check out Automatic Updates, and WTF? The option was changed from "Notify me" to "Automatic."

When and why did Windows do this to me?

yes when I installed one of the automatic updates it changed the settings. there should probably be a little icon that looks kinda like a shield in the bottom right hand corner. You can reconfigure it there. It also pesters me because I don't have anti-virus installed on windows.

Like vbraun said> read it.
That EULA boils down to microsoft can(WILL) do whatever they want with their operating system software it's their's, NOT yours. If you install you might as well send them the receipts for your box so they can collect the rebates for their new computer.

I've never had a problem with windows, are you sure it's not sometype of spyware?

K, I've had it with Automatic Updates...they're done and dead...FOR GOOD. Windows just informed me that "updates were downloaded" when my computer suddenly started to slow down, and then it froze! I just had to restart my computer AGAIN for the third time in three days...

Yes, Windows may have all the rights to my machine, but it should be MY right to choose what I do with it. If I don't want updates, I shouldn't be forced to get them. Likewise, if I set the option not to automatically download and install updates, IT SHOULD NOT CHANGE IT.

Top Bottom