When to open borders?

jedimogg

Chieftain
i'm early into my first game and wondering what people's thoughts are about when to open borders and with who. all the AI's have offered and i'm not sure if i should. i know it can increase trade and allows missionaries, but does it make you vurnerable to attack? what have other's been doing?

If they have the same/close religion to you or you have good relations with them go ahead. But I'd keep a few 'border agents' there if you know what I mean...:devil::ar15:

I haven't played yet as I live in the uk but there is only going to be one way to see how the ai reacts and thats to try it.As I understand it open borders still keeps miltary units out though.

I opened them up only when I wanted to send my hindu missionaries in to convert their cities. :)

The thing I hated most about Civ III was when people crossed my border and found a hole in my territory and plopped down (am I the only one that still shudders when I think I of that sound the Settlers make?) Consequently, my borders are permanently closed! Maybe when the memories are supressed I will open the borders again. As far as practical advice, I have none, since I am still waiting for my copy of Civ IV.

Top Bottom