Where are the combat animations?

maledon

Chieftain
Hi,

I really like this mod but sever since the last few releases combat has no animations. There were a few version that had a quick combat option but I never choose it.

Can anyone tell me how to reenable combat animations?

Thanks.

See here for how to fix the 'quick combat is always on' "feature", and re-enable the combat animations.

Instructions are included:

Links to here.

Animations can be re-enabled by placing an "_" underscore at the front of this file name:

\CiVUP - Civ V Unofficial Patch\Core\_CiVUP - Quick Combat.sql

I will point out, that if one's experience with installing mods is limited to the use of the in-game mod browser, the included link to instructions is not at all obvious.

Edit:
Sorry if I was a bit passive-aggressive earlier. It's just, I can't help but think that this alteration might have been better off as a seperate patch/mod, instead of being bundled in with the rest of VEM, given the obvious visual change that it causes. I know that a majority of the people on the forum might be in favor of this change, but I can't help but wonder how many people use VEM who have never even been on this forum, and would never have even thought to look in the MODS folder for instructions on how to reverse this change, or even know where the MODS folder is. For a large number of this sort of casual player, who might never have wanted to use the quick combat feature in the first place, this change would come out of nowhere, with no obvious rationale in the description in the modbrowser, and would appear to be a bug instead of an intended feature/patch. Anyway, those are my two cents on the subject.

I will point out, that if one's experience with installing mods is limited to the use of the in-game mod browser, the included link to instructions is not at all obvious.

Edit:
Sorry if I was a bit passive-aggressive earlier. It's just, I can't help but think that this alteration might have been better off as a seperate patch/mod, instead of being bundled in with the rest of VEM, given the obvious visual change that it causes. I know that a majority of the people on the forum might be in favor of this change, but I can't help but wonder how many people use VEM who have never even been on this forum, and would never have even thought to look in the MODS folder for instructions on how to reverse this change, or even know where the MODS folder is. For a large number of this sort of casual player, who might never have wanted to use the quick combat feature in the first place, this change would come out of nowhere, with no obvious rationale in the description in the modbrowser, and would appear to be a bug instead of an intended feature/patch. Anyway, those are my two cents on the subject.

But recall that as Thal has pointed out, if they notice quick combat being enabled by default, it will encourage them to search for and find out how to disable it. If you have the "quick combat" disabled by default the unknowing user will just turn on quick combat in the game options and break important features of the mod without even realizing it (yes, I admit I'm strongly biased towards quick combat because it easily shaves minutes off AI/CS turns at the end of the game).

But recall that as Thal has pointed out, if they notice quick combat being enabled by default, it will encourage them to search for and find out how to disable it. If you have the "quick combat" disabled by default the unknowing user will just turn on quick combat in the game options and break important features of the mod without even realizing it (yes, I admit I'm strongly biased towards quick combat because it easily shaves minutes off AI/CS turns at the end of the game).

I think you might be underestimating human stupidity here. As is, I could easily see some people installing the mod, wondering where the combat animations are, then concluding that the mod is simply bugged and uninstalling it.

I do see your point, and understand the reasoning behind making quick combat the default, but I think that there should at least be something in the modbrowser description that mentions that this is intentional, and where to go to re-enable it if desired. There are already instructions for doing something similar for those who only want VEM and not CiVUP (or the other way around, I don't remember off the top of my head), so I don't think it would be too out of place for there to be a few sentences to at least direct people to the instructions, or even just to let people know that such instruction exist in the first place.

Previously someone could play with the vanilla Quick Combat on, which breaks Germany's trait... then start as Germany, encounter the real bug and quit. Now that I've found a way to hide that buggy vanilla option it shouldn't be a problem anymore. :)

It's not possible to add more to the mod browser description because we are limited to 1010 characters. I've put as much info as possible in the current 1003 characters.

Ah, ok. I didn't know you had that character limit. Sorry about that, then.

Can we switch between combat animations on/off during an ongoing game with this, or does switching break a savegame?

Top Bottom