Where did THAT come from?

Just the boring first name (Deny) + initial of last name (D)

The postscript is from the Muppet Movie and is generally my attitude toward life...you control your own destiny, so if you're not happy, make changes until you are happy!!

I needed a username for hotmail (6 years ago!) and at the time I had a hamster called Mabel... it was cute so used to get it's name lengthened to mabellino... so there you go.
Turns out there was already a mabellino registered at yahoo.co.uk and I didn't fancy being mabellino"insert random number here". I have also gone under the guise of peroxide (being blonde and a chemist it's kind of amusing) and MadScientist but that one is waaay too common.

Don't recall when I first started using Smirk, its no doubt quake2 or IRC. When boards support it I usually use Sm!rk, which was definately something that started with quake since it supported all the symbols long before webboards did. And IRC still doesn't.

Of course I am a smartass and a devil's advocate so it should be obvious why I actually use this name. ;) My alternate name would have been HAPPY FUN BUNNY SMILE, for a little gamer-japanese-translation humor, which is pretty subtle, I'm no comedian.

Originally posted by Takeo
i heard somewhere that Takeo means 'Great Warrior' in
japanese

Closest thing I know of is taisho which translates to general (this is using the Hepburn system to translate to our alphabet). There are other systems that have been used and I suspect the spelling of your name is coming from another one of them.

Aeson: great story, and I'm glad you came to grips with your long-hidden love of the color orange- otherwise you might have serious problems with all your multiple personalities! ;)

Very sorry, there are definitely areas in which I have absolutely no imagination, and this is one. I've liked all the civ games and my name is steve, so civ_steve.

Rabies: Long ago, back in my college days, I discovered text-based muds. I had no idea what I was getting into. The first thing this mud made you do was create a character. Well, part of the character creation process was to create a description of what this character looked like. So...in some pitiful attempt to be original, I decided to describe my character as a 4-foot tall, frothing duck-billed platypus. It/his name was then dubbed 'rabies'.

..it stuck.

...now that I am older..I find it hard to shake - even though it isn't the prettiest of names. One thing that is nice is that the word is hardly used. I guess most people don't like to be associated with things like rabies. :(

Mine is pretty simple. The combination of two nicknames I had in my life.
Bam in high school (loosely based on my initials).

And speedy later in life when I had the handle 'Speed Racer' on the CB radio. I picked Speed Racer because at around the time I got onto the CB I was always getting pulled over by the cops for speeding. Luckily, everytime I got pulled over it was by a different cop, or law enforcement agency, so I kept getting verbal or written warnings, or just a $10 seatbelt ticket. Got 22 warnings before I finally got my first real ticket that took a big chunk of money out of my pocket. Got 3 or 4 tickets before I finally matured and slowed down, and I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in the last 5 years or so. There was a group of 4 State Patrol officers who would come into the place where I worked and have coffee. One day, they all realized that each one of them had pulled me over at one time or another, so they got a chuckle out of that and called me 'speedy'.

And around that time there was the ESPN commercials for Nascar where they used the cartoon character 'speed racer'. So one of my friends said "they should start calling you speed racer" and then he chanted the "go, go speed racer, go, go" phrase from those commercials. Most people just started calling me Speedy instead of Speed Racer, so that nickname sort of stuck. (I still know people who I see all the time and they don't know my real name, they just know me as Speedy).

So then I got a computer and internet access, and I didn't realize that I needed an account name right then, so I only had a few minutes to think of a name. Bam, Speedy, and SpeedRacer were already taken, so I just combined the two to Bamspeedy. So then when going to chatrooms and stuff I just used the same name.

I was looking for a name that hadn't been used on an e-mail account

I figured no one would ever want "CruddyLeper" so I stuck with that.

I tend to forget creative names I came up with once, so I try to stick with one I don't forget which is my first name: Ronald

Whenever it is already used in one forum I use Dlanor (Ronald reversed) so I only have to remember two names ;)

Originally posted by Aeson
In celebration of the FFFF (that's 65536 in Decimal

I hate to be the one to correct the legendary Aeson... but that's 65535 in decimal.

Zagnut is a candy bar that was distributed until sometime in the 1970's. When I was a pilot in the Navy I used the name as an alias. As Creepster posted on page 1, everyone in the Navy seems to have a nickname. I just liked the sound of Zagnut.

I hated the candy. It is coconut and peanuts, neither of which I like. However, for those of you who have a hankering for such stuff, it is still possible to buy Zagnut bars. I got some last month from www.groovycandies.com They sell all kinds of "disappeared" candies. Zagnut bars are still made by Hershey but are apparently only sold in the specialty market, by the box.

By the way, Zagnut is my last name. My first is Rip and my wife is Ruby.

I made my name from what I like to be, Fast. The Warrior part was just for CFC. But like my e-mail addy is fastpep. pep being my initials I use OneFastPep on yahoo. I like fast things and I also work fast play fast and live fast:)

Well, the 'Berger' part comes from a nickname I've had all through highschool. It's a play on my last name, Sonnenberg. People just shortened it to 'berg' and then later added an 'er'.

The Kaiser part is a combination of my love of the German language and my own male ego...so there you have it.

Originally posted by Aeson

Forgive me, I really wasn't paying much attention to what I wrote. I tend to count from 0 = 1.

You are counting like a computer or a programmer. If you set your display to 16-bit colors, you have 65536 choices ranging from 0 to 65535 or 0x0000 to 0xFFFF.

My username is quite a recent phenomenon. I found (I've mentioned this a few times recently!) GOTM 2 or 3 days before the GOTM17 submission deadline. I rushed it through to completion (about 20 hours I think), then had the final headache that I had to think up a user name before I could submit. As Carthage was my 1st attempt I tried to find a good Carthaginian name from history, but all the good ones seemed to be taken.

It was then I decided to go with the colour theme. All my life I've had a close association to that girly pink colour, it's my surname! I looked it up in a theasauras and came across Dianthus. From dictionary.com :

A plant of the genus Dianthus, which includes carnations and pinks.

It also has the distinction of sounding like some flash general's name, it just isn't :).

Taliesin is the name of the wizard in the King Arthur story (Merlin is his title). I first came across it in Marion Zimmer Bradley's "The Mists of Avalon", and since I enjoyed the book and also the name, I just typed it in at the register screen (simple enough, but I wanted Excelsior first... it was taken). The sig is in a Gaelic language... I won't give the meaning for fear of diminishing its mystique. It's actually rather mundane, but sums up a lot very simply and meaningfully.

My user name comes from the area where I was born, Dover Kent England and is steeped in history. A Man of Kent comes from the east side of the River Medway, which runs through the heart of the county whilst a Kentish Man comes from the west side of the river. According to history Men of Kent resisted William the Conqueror more 'stoutly' then the Kentish Men who weakly surrendered. Afterwards a keen rivalry developed as the bravery of the Men of Kent made them proud while Kentish Men were believed to be weak-minded.

ltcoljt = Lieutenant Colonel jt

Some people here see the small l as an I =Itcoljt. Thats wrong I just used no capital when I signed up. LtColjt would be clearer I admit.

jt is short for jimmytrick, a nickname which came from James Patrick, my son's name. I got the LtCol bit from an old SMAC team competition. Everyone wanted to be General this or General that so I just settled for a lower rank.

Since I was a vocal critic of Firaxis when Civ3 came out my jimmytrick handle got hung with a pretty negative reputation, mostly at Poly. So I decided to go with ltcoljt to better fit in with the community here. The only other names I've used online were Frodo, which I quit using when the first movie came out and spawned three billion alternates of Frodo. I did use Frodo W. Baggins for a spell just to tease my liberal friends online. (George W. Bush - get it?)

I also used HannibalBarca for a bit in reference to the great Carthagian general but I tired of that because everyone thought it was a reference to Lector.

Originally posted by ltcoljt
... jt is short for jimmytrick ...
I'm still a bit of a child (at heart), and couldn't help sniggering at this, trying to imagine what this trick could possibly be. Jimmy has rather an interesting meaning in cockney rhyming slang :).

For those who share my childish sense of humour, but don't know what I'm talking about :

Jimmy Riddle = Piddle (or urinate)

:)

Top Bottom