Where does chop production go?

Question: When chopping a forest and two cities are an equal distance from the forest, which city gets the extra production?

I know I saw the answer to this in one of the past GOTM threads. However, I cannot find it anymore here or in the Civ3 strategy forum. Can anyone link it or explain how it works? Thanks.

It goes to the north-east, then clockwise around, then one more step north-east and clockwise around. First city found gets the bucks.

Più Freddo said:
It goes to the north-east, then clockwise around, then one more step north-east and clockwise around. First city found gets the bucks.

Slight correction - the first city found that can use the shields gets them. A city building a wonder is skipped.

OK, that sounds like what I remember. Does the forest have to be in the 20-square city radius, or can it be N-N, S-S, E-E, or W-W?

Also, the bit about going to the city not building a wonder is nice to know. Now I can switch a build for one turn to control where the chop goes.

AlanH said:
A city building a wonder is skipped.

Cities building wealth or a (forbidden) palace are also skipped.

Paul#42 said:
Cities building wealth or a (forbidden) palace are also skipped.

Are you sure about the Palace? I seem to remember is counts as any normal improvement and not as a small or great wonder.

It does appear in the build list in the normal improvements section, but is certainly a small wonder in practice; if you chop into or rush a build and then try to switch that build to palace, it will be greyed out.
Which also leads back to some tcehnical point AlanH made a couple of threads ago. What was it now? Something like: if a city was eligible for a chop but the lumber went to a different (i.e closer) city, then it still gets a 'rush' flag set, and the current build cannot be switched to a small/great wonder at a later date.
:confused:
Hopefully someone else knows what I'm talking about and can explain better...

PaperBeetle said:
It does appear in the build list in the normal improvements section, but is certainly a small wonder in practice; if you chop into or rush a build and then try to switch that build to palace, it will be greyed out.
I believe switcing to a Palace does cause the chop to skip that city.

Which also leads back to some tcehnical point AlanH made a couple of threads ago. What was it now? Something like: if a city was eligible for a chop but the lumber went to a different (i.e closer) city, then it still gets a 'rush' flag set, and the current build cannot be switched to a small/great wonder at a later date.
Not me! I've never heard of that.

[EDIT] This cannot be true, as it would mean that temporarily changing your build to a wonder or the Palace, and then changing back after the chop is complete, would not work. And I know that it *does* work.

AlanH said:
I believe switcing to a Palace does cause the chop to skip that city.

Not me! I've never heard of that.

[EDIT] This cannot be true, as it would mean that temporarily changing your build to a wonder or the Palace, and then changing back after the chop is complete, would not work. And I know that it *does* work.

Sorry - I was sure it was a mod. I'll go searching.
I thinnk it can be true. Sure you can be doing a unit, switch to palace to direct a chop away from the unit, then switch back to unit. And that is common practice. What I believe you cannot do is:
1. Be building a unit in city A, which is two tiles away from a forest.
2. Chop the forest into city B, which is next to the forest.
3. Now switch the build in city A from a unit to a wonder.
I'll try and check it tonight when I get back to my home PC.

Generally, if you want to direct a forest chop to a particular city, and you're not certain which city will get it, or if you want to direct the chop from a city adjacent to the forest to another city, swap the city (or cities) you don't want to get the chop to any Wonder, big or small (including the Palace and FP). Et voila.

(Next: come up with a similar strategy for cities equidistant from a forest in [civ4]!!)

PaperBeetle said:
What I believe you cannot do is:
1. Be building a unit in city A, which is two tiles away from a forest.
2. Chop the forest into city B, which is next to the forest.
3. Now switch the build in city A from a unit to a wonder.
I'll try and check it tonight when I get back to my home PC.

Yep, all wrong. I was thinking of the situation where some lumber is lost altogether becasue the only eligible city is doing a wonder. Then that city gets the 'rush flag' set anyway, and cannot switch to another wonder. I think. My head hurts. :crazyeye:

AH! That's interesting. I "wonder" if it's true :hmm:

I thought you could select the citizen (the tile being chopped) to be in a particular city, i. e., micromanage. I know I read that somewhere but I can't promise it works. Anyone heard this?

Cracker thought this was the case, and wrote a treatise on it a while ago. However, it was shown to be wrong. You cannot direct a chop by working the tile with a specific citizen. Più Freddo's algorithm is correct. Check out the relevant Strategy Article, which starts with Cracker's stuff and then moves on.

PaperBeetle said:
Yep, all wrong. I was thinking of the situation where some lumber is lost altogether becasue the only eligible city is doing a wonder. Then that city gets the 'rush flag' set anyway, and cannot switch to another wonder. I think. My head hurts. :crazyeye:

Meh. Couldn't find any evidence of that either, in C3C or PtW :blush:. I suppose I must have totally misread the thread where I originally saw it...

Re: being able to direct where a chop goes as compared to being able to undo a bra with one hand. I know which I'd rather be doing...

Top Bottom