Where is master ini file?

I learned something. I asked about a petty annoyance that I have just put up with for years, and even though the answer was basically "yeah, you just have to put up with that" I feel a lot better.

Today, as another petty annoyance that I've put up with for years reared its ugly little head yet again, I decided to quit the game and come here.

I have edited the ini file perhaps a million times <blatant exaggeration acknowledged> to disable the "tell me three times that you know you don't have a voice capture device" message. Apparently, for reasons unknown, the ini file is intermittently 'refreshed' from some default value copy. Every time this happens I do the 'click me three times' dance, vowing to remember to fix that when I'm done playing <repeat a few times, because I forget> and eventually just quit out and edit it right there on the spot before restarting the game.

So...where is the 'pristine master' ini that it refreshes from? I am going to fix this voice capture thing once and for all.

No idea, but I would be interested too. I never had such a message, but I changed .ini to "no intro movie" and that too is occasioanlly for no detectable reason changed back.

I would love to know also. I managed to fix it once only to have it reappear.

Man, if someone doesn't come along with the answer pretty soon I'm going to have to go look for it. Posting your own answer sort of defeats the purpose of asking...

and the change to the .ini file is.......................

and the change to the .ini file is.......................
Right click on the .ini file and choose "Properties". On the first tab (the "General" tab), at the bottom, tick "Read Only" and click OK. You're done. :)

Note that this shouldn't cause a problem UNTIL you switch mods, or go back to the base game (vanilla BTS) from regularly using a mod. Or when you're changing option in-game. That seems to be when the file gets updated.

Note also that I love your avatar.

Note that this shouldn't cause a problem UNTIL you switch mods, or go back to the base game (vanilla BTS) from regularly using a mod. Or when you're changing option in-game. That seems to be when the file gets updated.

I knew there was a reason why I would originally suggest making a batch file :lol:

Make a copy of your edited ini file and rename it Master.ini

Make an empty text document in same folder as the ini file and put following inside:
PHP:
copy Master.ini CivilizationIV.ini
START "" "C:\Games\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\VIP

where the path to the Civ4BeyondSword.exe should be to the place you have installed civ.
The mod part should ofcourse be removed if playing vanilla BtS or replaced with the foldername of the mod you want to play.

Then save the document with a .bat in the end, and perhaps make a shortcut to desktop for easy access.

Better answer than I gave. :)

I knew there was a reason why I would originally suggest making a batch file :lol:

:lol:

*I* knew there was a reason why just write protecting would work for me. The last time I switched mods was January 2014.

Top Bottom