Where to Get Civ2 Gold Edition

CivLuvah

Deity
I've been playing Civ for a long time now, but only from Civ4 onwards (skipping more or less Civ5). However I'm a bit curious to try out Civ2. Is there a good site to download and install the game? I know there are websites out there who give out the game for free, but none of them seem to work in my incredibly high-end gaming laptop. :undecide:

I'm not aware of any legitimate site that offers any version of Civ 2 at the moment, unless it is buying a used disk. I did run across a Test of Time .iso file in an online "archive" , but I was unable to verify that that "org"anization's copy was unmodified, since my disk seems to be a later release with an extra scenario. In any case, getting Civ II to run on modern operating systems is a bit difficult (which is probably why the owner doesn't sell a download for the game).

Here is an installation guide for the Test of Time version. If you're trying to install Multiplayer Gold Edition, some of the tips, such as not to use the default installation folder, might still be helpful. I use Linux and Wine myself, which has its own installation difficulties, but means I'm not in a position to offer direct tech support. If you're still interested, good luck.

Note that Test of Time and Multiplayer Gold Edition are not saved game compatible. Test of Time has more features, especially with the test of time patch project, but you'll probably want to change the default art if you are playing the base game (at least, I find the default test of time art ugly).

I'm not aware of any legitimate site that offers any version of Civ 2 at the moment, unless it is buying a used disk.

From what I know there are some websites which do offer Civ2 for free, mostly retro gaming websites. However it seems that they're not compatible with my Windows 10, and I might need an emulator of some sort.

I bought Civ2: Test of Time off Amazon for $25. Got it running with the patch here on this site.

From what I know there are some websites which do offer Civ2 for free, mostly retro gaming websites. However it seems that they're not compatible with my Windows 10, and I might need an emulator of some sort.

All I meant is that it is technically illegal to offer any version of Civ II for download without the permission of the copyright holder. For a game so old, I don't care, and I suspect 2K games doesn't really care either, except that it is better for them not to officially offer the game for free. Unfortunately, the situation limits how much we can share and discuss, since we can't provide a known good copy and edition, and give instructions specifically for that.

If you have "classic" version of Civ II, that won't install on modern Windows. Last I heard, Multiplayer Gold Edition will install on Windows 10, but with some effort required. (I suspect this difficulty of installation is why Civ II isn't sold for, say, 5 dollars.)

If you can get a copy of 32 Bit Windows XP, you can use Virtualbox to Virtualize that Windows environment, which is how I played Civ II for a few years. Since you describe your system as a 'gaming laptop', you shouldn't have trouble virtualizing. (Budget processors often have the virtualization features disabled.)

I wish 2k would do the same thing with civ2 that Matrix does with bombing the reich and just let the Scenario League "develop" Test of Time. All they need is one copy of the game and a download. There isn't even a need for an installer. Why not make $5 at a time and leave it to us to keep it operational?

Anyway, @CivLuvah I can help you find a copy of test of time but not much I can do about MGE. PM me if you'd like.

Top Bottom