Where to get Civ2: Test of Time in 2018

Anunikoba

Warlord
Greetings aging Civers.

Just wondering if any of you know where I can get Civilization 2: ToT these days. I checked GoG.com and Steam and did not see them for sale there. I'm wondering if there is another site offering the game for download.

Thanks!

Hello!

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have the same question as the original poster. I would really appreciate it if anybody can help!

There are several.copies of test of time on ebay from a few dollars to around 30. Did you once own the game? You might find someone willing to send you the files as well (theres no customer support/ CD key to go get your old copy back after all).

It does work on windows 10, yes.

That's not nearly enough information for someone who's been away from anything technical for years. What is an ISO (it's a CD substitute, what the hell do I open with it?) Why are all of those four links such different sizes? Which one do I install to upgrade to TOTPP? Do I need the patch provided at the site or do I not? What is a 64....thing, how do I install it, why do I need it? And what's the upgrade instructions from whichever version of TOT from that site to getting ToTPP up and running/

Didn't I send you five different PMs to help you with this issue? Send me a PM if you don't know what to do with them. Thanks!

Didn't I send you five different PMs to help you with this issue? Send me a PM if you don't know what to do with them. Thanks!

Forgive me, I've had sleep issues all year. I actually checked my PMs directly after this and extracted everything. Haven't tried it out yet other than going for a turn but it WORKS! Thank you so much,. it loads ToTPP scenarios no problem it's wonderful! I'm gonna try that fortress Europe scenario a little before bed. Thank you thank you thank you!

Hi John

I am in the same situation as Konig15, I am not sure what to do with the ISO file. I have downloaded Daemon Tools, but I can't seem to make the setup.exe work. Any advice for a novice like myself?

Any help is appreciated!

Best,
Jack J, aka S Jac

Sorry @Jack J - I've been a bit derelict my with following of the forums. I'll PM you in a bit.

Having trouble with getting TOT working on a modern Windows 10 computer as well. I downloaded (thanks for the directions above - I owned this game way back in the early 00s but hadn't had a source for it in ages!) and was able to run the installer successfully. The game now opens and loads, and I can get all the way through the intro screens to start a game... And then, when it goes to generate a map/open a scenario, the game crashes to desktop with no message. Any ideas what the problem could be? I also installed the 1.1 patch, which I assume is not the issue but maybe it is? The crash seems to happen no matter which settings I use (Midgard, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Original).

Hi I'm with the same problem, where can I get Civ2ToT?
There are a lot of versions on web, but ToTPP do not recognise them. And I would like to plat ToTPP scenarios.
Thanks!

Hopefully this will be helpful to some even though I haven't yet got the game working for myself. ISO is basically a virtual cd/dvd, which is handy in all kinds of situations, like when you don't have a physical drive. There are many programs to make use of those but for the purpose of installing the game the simple WinCDEmu is enough. You use it to "mount" the file, then in file explorer you can right click it and find autoplay, which should bring you to the installer.

After installing the game (to somewhere else than \program files, since that can sometimes cause issues) you can then run the official patch, and then ToTPP.

That's as far as I've gotten. I'm having issue where loading a save crashes the game, but if I find solution to that, I will update it to this post.

Moderator Action: Removed some content. The_J

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey. Sorry for necro posting, but this is one of the few hits google has, on the particular problem of installing TOT on Win10. What I found out is that the TOT installer, as a "32 Bit Setup Installer", gets hang up waiting on another process; in my case something called "nvcontainer.exe". If you follow the instructions here, you will be able to find it out if it's the same for you or not. Basically if just go to Task Manager, on the details tab, right click on the process and click 'analyze wait chain'; you will find out what process is blocking the installation and close it from there so it can continue.

Top Bottom