1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where would you choose to settle?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Ultimate_Waffle, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Ultimate_Waffle

Ultimate_Waffle The soul devourer.

Just started a game as the Chinese. Vanilla Civ 5. I already moved the warrior. Where would you settle?

2. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

NE on the forest along that river.
    In addition to the light house/harbor/etc resources from starting position, the river adds the water mill for more food & production after you get the Wheel (on top of the granary / light house / work boats / etc.)

Edit:
    luxuries in the 3rd ring of tiles: it seems in my most recent games that time for cities to take in 3rd ring luxury tiles has really been cut down, so getting the hammers for the work boat may be the critical path instead of cultural expansion.
    My assumption is that some coastal city southwest will be founded to take in any sea luxuries that would become 4th ring from capital.
    Marshes: I would really love this start as the Dutch. (Plodders) As anybody else, yes, this does appear to be a city that will quickly need two workers to clear the marsh.

3. T-hawk

T-hawk Transcend

I wouldn't move NE. It pushes stone, spices and pearl to the third ring of tiles. Third-ring hexes take a LONG time to acquire. And that move loses the fish completely. I'd actually do the opposite and move southwest, to keep that starting forest for later hammers. The river isn't that important and another city can use it later.

4. Maxym

Maxym King

I would go all the way SW to spices and settle those. This way u get to trade them earlier and settle next to desert in case there is more and then can build Petra. Is there Petra in vanilla?

5. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Doesn't matter, settle in place and read some more important strategy threads.

6. sufficiency

sufficiency King

I don't like that. There are so many marsh tiles there it will eventually come back to bite you.

I suggest two tiles to the left, you get a double stone start and you will almost 100% get the spice the first time your city expands border.

You can expand to your current NE between the hill and the forest for your second city.

EDIT

7. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

Is very tempting choice to go for that hill river tile NW of the warrior but that will be 2 turns lost...

Like Dave said, just settle in place. Those two stone tiles plus the hill will help you boost production, and if there are any hostile neighbors close by, just kill them with archers/CBs

8. Wargizmo

Wargizmo Warlord

Petra isn't in vanilla, but I'd probably go with the spices as well. The north east river is tempting but no access to good food tiles early and pushing your luxuries to the outer ring is going to cost you a lot of money buying up tiles. People always seem to be anti settling on luxuries, but if it's a tile you probably won't work anyway like spices then I don't see any problem with it. You get a bit of extra money or happiness a few turns earlier.

Try to get the hanging gardens wonder so you'll be able to get the garden anyway (usually only available to cities on rivers), also the extra food will make up for the lack of water mill.

I don't really like the idea of going inland because having a coastal capital is so good for pushing out a navy quickly as well as the lighthouse + fish and pearls combo, and the chance at great lighthouse if you want it.

9. Ultimate_Waffle

Ultimate_Waffle The soul devourer.

I decided to settle one south-west. It got me even more pearls. Also, it turns out that ocean is actually an inland sea.

10. Hustapha Thool

Hustapha Thool Warlord

I am not fond of coastal starts unless I know it is an island. Just way too long getting sailing up and running unless it is an absolute must. Without any more information from the warrior, i would be really tempted to move 2 tiles straight west with the city on the river next to the desert tile. Oh and dang I just noticed this was vanilla soo...

I am still thinking about the same move. I have food and production. I am going to need calender so stone works and maybe have to buy that spice tile. At deity or maybe even immortal I will take the chance that I do not have to be on a hill.

11. BBMorti

BBMorti Warlord

I would settle on the spice, it is not a tile I would be likely to ever work later and when the time for the second city comes I would have scouted the best river spot.

12. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Beat me too it. I am all about settling on calendar resources this week and going Pottery>calendar for instant sale.

13. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

I would settle on my recliner as I cry because that's what water luxuries near my capital make me do ;_;

Personally I would wait another turn and see what's over that river hill to the northwest with my Warrior. The problem with settling on that Spice that your capital is going to have absolutely horrendous production even once you get those Stone, especially before you can get them improved. In order to get even a single hill within 3-tiles there would have to be some desert ones to the southwest of the Spice.

14. budweiser

You have to go God of the Sea and fishing 3rd, then you have plenty of stuff to sell so you can buy stuff instead of making it.

15. Light Cleric

Buy stuff with what though? The Pearls each need 50 hammer Work Boats to improve them which eats a LOT of time. And down the road, you've got no Water Mill, no Hydro Plant, and no 3/4 hammer Mines to work. I would much rather go settle on that hill unless there's NO luxuries on the other side of it.

16. budweiser

You may be right. I would try it and see how it goes. You sell the spice and you got 240. Thats a boat. You sell the pearl and you got another boat and so on. Paper Maker is +2 gold. Every +5gpt equals 112 gold now. There is money there. You need a shrine and a Paper Maker. Maybe go Liberty here.

EDIT: its vanilla though...

17. Light Cleric

Yeah, I would certainly have to see the game in practice; there may be something to the south of those Spices to justify it. It's a pretty ugly start in general. :p

I didn't notice it was Vanilla either. IIRC weren't Work Boats cheaper in vanilla or something?

18. Woodszilla

Woodszilla Chieftain

Surprised nobody asked what difficulty or if the map type was known.

If it's a lower difficulty, you won't be able to sell those spices early anyway.

Immortal or Deity - settle spice
    Otherwise I'm probably going NE to the river

19. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

My main concern on Beijing there is that I think it would eliminate the possibility of founding a southern coastal city which might be desirable if it turns out the sea resource line continues.
    It would take a few turns to verify that we don't have for the capital.

20. sufficiency

sufficiency King

Come to think of it, I automatically assumed the map was pangaea lol. If it was some sort of water map I should reconsider.