Where's my Credit Card?

bio_hazard said:
@Beamup- you've probably already checked the specs of your iBook, but lots of PC users with 'fairly new' machines have had trouble with Civ4. Especially watch out for the video card.
That is indeed the issue. The rest of the system is OK, but the video card is very marginal. The question is how much of a problem it would be (i.e. playable on low graphics settings or not).

Have you been checking out the tech support posts in the Civ4 forum? Maybe that would give you a clue as to whether people with your card are having any luck on PC's. My 'not too old' PC laptop sort of plays Civ- it is hecka slow and you can't see the terrain unless the whole map is revealed, but you can play through a game if you want to with only infrequent crashes... my card does not support T&L, so this is probably as good as I can expect until the mac version comes out...

Basically it's at the situation where nobody knows whether or not it will work, since the video card requirements will not necessarily translate across directly. Last I heard Brad didn't even know - and if he doesn't, anything we say is pure speculation.

Here's another tidbit regarding the new Intel-powered iMacs: According to a question-and-answer article I read over at MacWorld, the high-end iMac's graphics card can be upgraded from 128mb to 256mb at the time of purchase!

Gatekeeper

It can indeed. Haven't you visited the Apple Store yet? I have my fully expanded iMac sitting in the saved shopping cart. Maybe Apple will see it there and decide I deserve a freebie :D

AlanH said:
It can indeed. Haven't you visited the Apple Store yet? I have my fully expanded iMac sitting in the saved shopping cart. Maybe Apple will see it there and decide I deserve a freebie :D

Heh. As tempting as it is to drop some cold, hard cash now for an Intel-powered iMac, I'm going to wait until the ship date for Civ IV Mac draws closer. That'll give Apple some time to work out whatever bugs they find in the first batch of new iMacs and for more Intel-native software to come out. In the meantime, I'll keep myself occupied w/RL, Civ II and writing.

Gatekeeper (who will definitely upgrade to a 256mb graphics card)

Your strategy matches mine - see this post. Didn't stop me looking at the options and building a dream machine, though :D

Brad Oliver said:
C3C didn't ship as a universal binary, so it's not currently intel-native. However, it's not very performance intensive so the new intel Macs should have no problems running it in Rosetta (with the caveat that I haven't tried it yet on the new Macs).

Civ III works fine on my 17" iMac. It needs the 1.29 update. The 1024x768 screen resolution works well; some other screen resolutions have problems scrolling when the cursor is at the edge of the map/screen.

That's not the version that Brad is talking about. Version 1.29 is the old MacSoft vanilla version. We're moving on to Civ3 Complete, Aspyr's new baby, which certainly *shouldn't* need the 1.29 update.

Top Bottom