Which Civ would you like in Colonization?

Which civs do you wish were in Colonization?

• Portugal

Votes: 216 75.3%
  • Sweden

Votes: 67 23.3%
  • Russia

Votes: 70 24.4%
  • China

Votes: 33 11.5%
  • Venice

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Arabs

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Holy Roman Empire

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Ottomans

Votes: 28 9.8%
  • Vikings

Votes: 62 21.6%
  • Other

Votes: 47 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow. I never knew Scotland tried to found a colony in Nova Scotia.

Though it does seem somewhat obvious now (Nova Scotia=New Scotland).

It wasn't tried. We did found the colony. However outbreak of plague and lack of funds back in Scotland saw those efforts fold.

I would like to see Scotland, if only to replicate that! :lol:

I think all of the civs which were powerful in Renaissance times would be good, for alternative history and replayability purposes. Some countries such as China probably could have colonised America and competed with the Europeans, they just didn't want to for some reason.

The Ming Chinese didn't because their court officials emphasize on domestic affairs and were too busy with the power struggle. After Admiral Zheng He's voyage, they were too turned off by the huge expenditure that they burnt the log books and never returned to the ocean again.

I also voted for other because of this, This, and this

How about the Welsh? :lol:

I concur with Soneji. They still talk funny in Nova Scotia, even compared to the rest of the Canadians!

The original Colonization was ALL of the America's, and the Spanish were ALONE on the southern continent, so it definitely needs the Portugese to balance game play, for sure.

We can't have the Welsh in it!! They had an appointment with Rorke's Drift in Natal.....

LOL Learn history btw. Vikings were done by 1400s (Denmark and Sweden where the powers there). Arabs where under the thumb of the Ottomans. Wales was controlled by England and Scotland was during time of King James and by 1700s it was the United Kingdom so Scotland would be pointless and should be put under England.

LOL Learn history btw. Vikings were done by 1400s (Denmark and Sweden where the powers there). Arabs where under the thumb of the Ottomans. Wales was controlled by England and Scotland was during time of King James and by 1700s it was the United Kingdom so Scotland would be pointless and should be put under England.

lol historical accuracy for the win eh? :lol: what ever.

I think your the one who needs to go back and revisit the history books.

Niether has Scotland ever had any kind of control of the Welsh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_colonization_of_the_Americas

Always wondered why Portugal were never in Colonization meself.

The official reason they gave was that the histories of Portuguese and Spanish colonization were very similar, and Portugal and Spain were even united for a long time.

That's a pretty bad reason in my opinion. They still had different foreign policies and different city-names and that's reason enough to have them in in my opinion.

Either they would be really weak and primitive in the game and have no chance of winning, or there would be silly anachronistic units combining horned helmets and beards with rifles and brightly-coloured coats.

No horns on viking helmets! :)viking: = :mad: Kark!)

Well, modern scientists don't believe vikings used metal helmets at all ... (Only for ceremonial purposes, or as a show off - but that would've made you an easy target in battle.)

But why not make a time line based version of Colonization, like Rhye's and fall of civilization? The Vikings could get an early but difficult start. And the Inuits, a couple of hundred years earlier.

The original Colonization was ALL of the America's, and the Spanish were ALONE on the southern continent, so it definitely needs the Portugese to balance game play, for sure.

The Dutch colonized Suriname, which is the name of the independent country you found if you win as the Dutch in the original "Colonization". And the French have Cayenne to this day. Admittedly, that is small potatoes, and I think Portugal should be included in a future version. And though Sweden's colony on the Delaware did not last long, the settlers stayed on and did have an impact on what would one day be the United States. For one thing, they are credited with introducing the log cabin, that American icon for pioneer life, which was a familiar type of building in Sweden and Finland but completely unknown in England, the Netherlands, France and Spain. I wouldn't mind the Rurussians being included either. Let them be alone for a while but have some disadvantages in terms of few immigrants, long trade routes and so on.

Because Colonization focussed chiefly on North American colonization, and Portugal played no real part in it. Their New World colonies were all in South America.

That's correct. The strange thing that the historical map covered all of America, and it was strange not to see the portuguese there.

I voted for other mainly because I don''t think there sould be another civ. The four listed are just fine, this game is not Civilization. Remember the end goal is Independence from the mother Country. Portugal was never really in a position to achieve this with their colonies. The politics in Portugual never allowed them to develop their colonies or put them in a real place of defending them. It isn't worth bringing in the other countries into the scenario, they just don't fit. As for the natives, there never was a chance for them to compete with the Europeans and they really can't be played in this scenario either.

Because Colonization focussed chiefly on North American colonization, and Portugal played no real part in it. Their New World colonies were all in South America.

So they are selling a game about colonizing half of a continent! The Equator should be the bottom end of the map, then! :lol:

Because if the Col designers didn't expand the number of playable civilizations, they probably have a very good reason for doing so.

The only excuse I can imagine for ignoring Portugal is lazyness... And a huge amount of historical ignorance...

Come on, Firaxis! 80 votes for the inclusion of Portugal... and counting!

Cheers,

Mad Hab

The politics in Portugual never allowed them to develop their colonies or put them in a real place of defending them.

Sorry friend, what you are saying is absolute nonsense. The Portuguese expelled the French and the Dutch from Brazil twice, each. In fact, those two countries weren't strong enough to take Brazil from Portugal!

Cheers,

Mad Hab

Actually, I think I read somewhere that Portugal wasn't included in the original Colonization because slavery wasn't included as well, and the Portuguese colonial economy was engineered around it.

Sorry friend, what you are saying is absolute nonsense. The Portuguese expelled the French and the Dutch from Brazil twice, each. In fact, those two countries weren't strong enough to take Brazil from Portugal!

Cheers,

Mad Hab

Not to mention the vital importance Brazil had in the development of the sugar industry and gold mining. In fact, the Dutch learned the skills to produce sugar in their invasion of northeastern Brazil. But who knows, Firaxis may make an expansion that includes Portugal :D

No horns on viking helmets! :)viking: = :mad: Kark!)

Well, modern scientists don't believe vikings used metal helmets at all ... (Only for ceremonial purposes, or as a show off - but that would've made you an easy target in battle.)

But why not make a time line based version of Colonization, like Rhye's and fall of civilization? The Vikings could get an early but difficult start. And the Inuits, a couple of hundred years earlier.
I know Vikings didn't really put horns on their helmets, but Firaxis apparently thinks so, judging by the Berserker unit. I can just imagine what they would make a Viking rifleman look like... :(

I always thought that Portugal wasn't included because of difficulty of simulating the effects of the treaty of Tordesillas

I would like to have mainly France, England, Spain, Portugal, Dutch.

Sweden and Denmark could be intressting to, even if they were just minor players. The whole thing depends on how they make the game. Just american colonization or africa and asia colonization as well.

Then maybe Italy, Russia and Germany too, as they had large colonies in africa/asia, but in the industrial age...

If they make the game as the first one, starting out in 1492 and ending around 1800 (?, i dont remember) and in america, then Germany, Russia and Italy cannot be in the game.

I will watch this game creation process with big hope. Colonization was really one of the best game of the 90's.

Top Bottom