Which Civ would you like in Colonization?

Which civs do you wish were in Colonization?

• Portugal

Votes: 216 75.3%
  • Sweden

Votes: 67 23.3%
  • Russia

Votes: 70 24.4%
  • China

Votes: 33 11.5%
  • Venice

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Arabs

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Holy Roman Empire

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Ottomans

Votes: 28 9.8%
  • Vikings

Votes: 62 21.6%
  • Other

Votes: 47 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"I always thought that Portugal wasn't included because of difficulty of simulating the effects of the treaty of Tordesillas"

? so what? The treaty divided the world between portugal and spain, and it didn't lasted for too long... In the game I guess spain can colonize north america and england can focus on brazil, why then is it a problem the division between east and west and not north and south?

In america portugal colonized brazil and urugai was disputed between portugal and spain for a long time. Portugal and Spain shared the same king between 1580 and 1640 but with separated crowns so the king was Phillipe II of Spain and Pillipe I of Portugal. So Iberia was united for 60 years we may say.

We all agree portugal is a must have, it's hard to ignore Brazil...

Other than portugal i would vote for sweden, they were the only power with some interests and power to colonize america. The germans we're too concerned about europe, and the russians were alreading expanding and colonizing in the east. The italians were divided and it would be hard to organize such an expedition, and the ottomans were allways having trouble trying to keep their empire united.

What is truly a must have is to be able to play as the precolombian native civs and tribes. Back in Colonization I have always wanted to take command of these limited, yet very powerful, parties. Specially the three great precolombian empires (Mayans the most). Sometimes you could find up to 13 solid big Incan or Aztec city Pyramids.. that was big civ, haha!!

So my vote goes for these civs to be included as playable parties. Imagine the posibilities..

If there's going to be alternate history, it should be a mod or scenario, not part of the core game. Otherwise, the game would just be another Civ4.

Wake up dude, this games are all about alternate history...

Sweden? No no no!
Denmark would be much better and they actually had an overseas empire and colonized the Faroes, Iceland, Greenland and some islands in the Caribbean. That means their colonial empire in the Americas was actually bigger than for example the Dutch one, even though it wasn't as important :)

Denmark (including Norway of course) with a exploration bonus that has something to do with icy areas; exploring Antarctica Roald Amundsen (even though that was later), North pole, Bering Strait is named after the Danish navigator Vitus Bering. The leader would probably be King Christian IV..

If you only have the large ones then France, Spain, England, Holland and Portugal BUT
I would like to see:
France, Spain, England, Holland, Portugal, Denmark, maybe Russia and the pirates of the Ottoman empire :D

Portugal is a good addition. Yes, there is the argument that Portugal was in South America and Colonization focuses on North America, but the Inca are one of the native tribes in the game, so I think Portugal works just fine.

Russia, maybe. They did have SOME colonies on the west coast, but they really are not essential.

The rest, :vomit:. Firaxis not trying to recreate Civ4.

Sweden? No no no!
Denmark would be much better and they actually had an overseas empire and colonized the Faroes, Iceland, Greenland and some islands in the Caribbean. That means their colonial empire in the Americas was actually bigger than for example the Dutch one, even though it wasn't as important :)

Indeed not, especially since Iceland and the Faroes are not in America and Greenland is almost entirely covered by ice and snow. It wasn't exactly a flourishing colony.

Denmark's "empire" in the Caribbean - now the American Virgin Islands - was almost as piffling as St. Barthelemy, the Swedish colony there. But the Swedes did found the first settlement on the Delaware; it covered parts of the present-day states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.

The only country iI really miss in the new Colonization game is Portugal, and I can live without it.

Portugal of course :D

Greenland still is offically part of north america and colonization did happen there but it was not exactly big. Russia and Sweeden and all the others should be minor civs like the native tribes. Portugal on the other hand landed in south america and held it, radically changeing things, historically accurate or not portugal should be included if only for varitys sake

Öjevind Lång;6991658 said:
Indeed not, especially since Iceland and the Faroes are not in America and Greenland is almost entirely covered by ice and snow. It wasn't exactly a flourishing colony.

Denmark's "empire" in the Caribbean - now the American Virgin Islands - was almost as piffling as St. Barthelemy, the Swedish colony there. But the Swedes did found the first settlement on the Delaware; it covered parts of the present-day states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.

The only country iI really miss in the new Colonization game is Portugal, and I can live without it.

Bahh you're right man. I'm too biased :D

Erm, not true. King James I / VI held the both the Crown of Scotland and the Crown of England, and with the latter went Wales. He was Scottish.

Scottish control of the crown yes, political control over the Welsh nation no, that has always resided in Westminster.

BTW ,stop racism , Vote for the china , in honor of Zheng He
Zheng He's discovery of the Americas is not really agreed upon by historians. But China certainly did have the capacity to settle the Americas if they wanted to.

When I think about colonization of America I generally think about Europeans. It has a certain "style" to it.

I realize that... but precisely because he did not we did not see a massive Chinese colonization of the Pacific or other areas, just European one.

Top Bottom