1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which civilization is your favourite?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Duke Anselmi, Mar 22, 2006.

?

Which is your favourite civilization?

1. America

10 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Arabia

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. Aztec

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. China

16 vote(s)
    9.8%
  5. Egypt

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. England

20 vote(s)
    12.2%
  7. France

6 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. Germany

13 vote(s)
    7.9%
  9. Greece

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  10. Inca

10 vote(s)
    6.1%
  11. India

14 vote(s)
    8.5%
  12. Japan

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  13. Mali

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  14. Mongol

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  15. Rome

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  16. Russia

27 vote(s)
    16.5%
  17. Persia

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  18. Spain

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Babobeebo

Babobeebo Chieftain

I love Germany...Panzers are so cool :D

2. Guerra

Guerra Warlord

Incas are the best. Financial and Aggressive with Mysticism starting tech means you can go ANY route without issues. Also the Quechua are nice if you want to either a) Rush your enemy or b) defend against an archer rush

3. mikezang

mikezang Pegasus

I like to play China.

4. ownedbyakorat

ownedbyakorat Warlord

re:Expansive

If it's nonsense I don't understand why. I always have more health than happiness available in the early game; it's happiness that limits my growth, virtually exclusively. Health resources seem to be everywhere, and easily available. The only point at which the +2 health for Expansive really matters is in the mid-end game when you have 20+ pop cities with lots of food, happy multipliers up the wazoo, and at that point healthiness finally becomes a limiting factor, up until hospitals/ecology/genetics/future tech.

5. Felz

Felz Chieftain

Either Romans or Russians, but I'll have to go with Rome just because of a Praetorian rush always works for taking 2 civs in the early game.

6. Chamaedrys

Chamaedrys Emperor

I play Germany cause I like Bismarck an his traits. The reduced building time for wonders is a great thing. With the cheap granaries and forges you can boost your population and production and ...

well I like him, his traits and his panzer :goodjob:

7. fuji

fuji Chieftain

Roma Victor !!!

Russia second, way ahead of others but not even close to Rome...

8. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

I like to try playing as other civs, but I usually keep coming back to either Rome or England (Elizabeth) every other game. Both have terrific UUs and trait combinations (each requiring a different strategy to best take advantage; I like how that forces me to vary my approach).

But I have to go with Rome as my fave, because I have a soft spot for Roman history. And like other Romaphiles in this thread, I love those Praetorian waves. Rolling up a couple of rival Civs early in the game is so much fun, and so beneficial in the long term.

9. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

China under QSH. Not a bad UU, and +50% Wonder production and Financial trait is huge when you play a peacful builder game.

Other ones I like are Rome(Praetorians), and Germany(cultural under Frederick).

10. Gherald

Gherald Prince

Indeed! Inca are a superb "jack of all trades" civ... and my favorite to slingshot with. You really can do anything with them.
    Yup, which as a bonus allows you to completely skip the low level hunting and archery techs (unless you find ivory, fur, or need to build horse archers later)

11. Mad2rix

Mad2rix Warlord

I second that motion. It is possible to easily crush at least one civilization at the very beginning of the game, if only the AIs scatter their free archers elsewhere.

12. Nanzook

Nanzook Chieftain

Wow So many good civs for so many diff styles of play

I think my favorit is malinese SUPER MONEY LORD:eek:

I can buy every thing in late game and the spirtual boost is very nice for happy citizens.

Its really hard to beat Indian Fast workers thou.

If I go for a war victory I guess English empire because the red coats come at a huge turning point in the game and seem to be unstopable for many many years.

Ive been working on culture wins and I have found chines very effective for my play style though I believe prob at higher levels need more artist to go take this road. Wich i believe would put me back with the Elizabeth for the philosphical and financial.

13. jimbob27

jimbob27 Emperor

I love the Incans. I love having better units than my enemies, and the incans are the best civ to do this with. You get a boost right at the start if you can nick you neighbours cities with the quechuas, then take advantage of the financial trait to cottage spam your way into a massive tech lead..... and the agressive trait means the enemy won't stand a chance when you're the first one to macemen then riflemen.

Did I mention they start with mysticism too? So you can found a religion, spread it around and use get even more money, and help with your warmongering.

14. Manno

Manno Chieftain

I like the mongol empire. With culture and aggressive trait I can really play my gamestyle. The strength promotion and the culture bonus are really great, it makes capturing a city more easy. I think :p

15. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

Russia.
    Well I am Russian, good enogth?

16. GiantRaven

GiantRaven Prince

Mali

Financial and Spiritual are by two fav traits

17. Columbkille

Columbkille Chieftain

I enjoy playing as the United States (Washington). I find that his traits go well with each other.

18. Lance of Llanwy

Lance of Llanwy King

My fave are the Japanese. They can get Pottery right off the bat, start with fishing for easy access to sea resources, and start with the wheel, so you don't have to waste time researching it, letting you hook up resources right away. Plus I love the UU and the traits Toku offers. And, lastly, I don't get the sense of "too easy" that Prats and Cossacks give me...

19. acidsatyr

acidsatyr be water my friend...

Incas all the way...
    With all other civs I b-lining for BW and axmen is a must, and if no bronze around well you are doomed....
    With Incas - I never ever build more than one city (besides capital) just take two civs and their capitals very early... and you can save forest for something else cuz quencha is mad cheap....
    they can be upgraded to CR1 with barracks, plus Incas are financial which is really important for having large army...
    My favorite used to be Catharine, because you don’t need to spend time building obelisks, but after so much playing you see that that’s crap anyway.. noobish trait unless is some special cases....your cities will expand few turns later anyway and after early game having cultural trait is pretty much useless. Russia is not aggressive which is a big minus for me.
    Last thing - with Russia you HAVE to go for music + MT which costs valuable time. I never ever research music + MT myself (no time on immortal or eve emperor for that luxury) + by different route you can get to rifleman’s in approximately same time...
    These are JUST my opinions…feel free to correct me

20. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Louis the XIV has a nice combo with Creative (+2 culture per city) and Industrius (+50% wonder production).

The creative bonus helps borders to spread early in the game without having to build oblisks. The faster wonder production helps to build wonders to enhance the use of the culture benefit late in the game.

Elizabeth has a nice compo with Philisophical (+100% great person) and Commerce (one additional commerce per tile) too.