which is best?

12ozProphets

Chieftain
Greetings,

In a game I have just produced a great leader and am wondering which would be the best choice. Here's my options:

1. Build the Economic wonder that pays for market places and such.
2. Build the Newton wonder in the same city that has the Copernicus wonder.
3. I still need a forbidden place. But I can maybe get another great leader and do this later. 1 and 2 wont wait.

I am most temped to go for #2. I like to be ahead in science in the later game, but maybe the money I save with #1 will be better in the long run?

I'm on a huge map with normal land mass. One huge content.

thanks

I'd make the forbidden palace. Thats one of the first things I try and make in the game.

get the Economic wonder (smith's trading Co, yes?)

If you have money, you can be at least even in science with everyone else, even on the hardest difficulty levels (through buying, trading, and stealing techs) plus, the more money you have, the more improvements and military units you can afford...basically, money makes the world go round, so i'd do whatever would give me the most of it :)

If you need more units urgently, then 3) (second core)
If you want super-science city, then 2)
If you want to get rid of maintenance for commercial buildings, then 1)

I'd take 1) or 3)

Huge map, thats 1 gigantic landmass??

No question about it, go for Smith's. The gold you'll save not paying upkeep on markets, airports, harbors ect will pay for itself in no time.

I personally would go for Newtons. This will help you keep a tech lead over ur enemies, which in turn will give u extra time on later wonders also the AI doesn't rush for economics/Smith's Trading and the FP can be built at any time.

The question is, would the maintainence savings be enough that you can afford to increase the science budget across the board, and if so would that provide more total science?

Forbidden Palace, definatly, the added benefits far surpass any of the others, you just need to put it in a smart place.

it depends what patch do you have? are you at the point where a forbidden palace doesn't incraes corruption?

I just want to mention that stacking Isaacs with Copernicus itself brings no advantage (that was only in civ 1+2), but I guess your Copernicus city has the most uncorrupt trade arrows anyway.

I'd build Smith's Trading Co with your GL. It is the most expensive wonder of the group and the savings will allow you to increase your science budget. You can build the FP at anytime and Newton's is nice to have, but not crucial.

BTW: If you have a monopoly on Economics, be sure to sell it to the AI before you complete the trading co, otherwise you will not get as much for it.

Built the FP. You're already in the later part of the MA, so you've already waited very long before building the FP, IMHO.

The "best" decision depends on a number of circumstances.

You say you cannot get both wonders. If you build Newton's, will a "nearby" city cascade to Smith's? Do you have a chance to capture this city?

Will you get substantial(!) benefits from the Forbidden Palace?

Is it "likely" that you get another Great Leader (i.e. lots of elite knights /cavalry) to build the Forbidden Palace "soon"?

Do you have rich civs which would pay you a lot of gpt if you are the first to discover a new tech? Is your research capacity up to this?

What is your relative strength w.r.t. the other civs?

Which difficulty are you playing?

Thanks everyone,

Here's some more info:

I'm playing PTW with all patches (I have C3C but have not loaded it yet).

I'm on a huge continent and my civ occupies the south east corner. My palace is on the east side and makes an excellent core, so that north, south and eastern cities are in good shape. I am warring my way west and my newly captured cities have almost no production, but they are also small right now so it's not really hurting me yet. I hate to build my HP because you can't move it later and I am not done with my expansion yet. What I'd really like to do is put my HP where my existing palace is and then move my palace along as I expand.

The next turn both wonders will be built. (I know because I ended my turn, saw the wonders built and turned off the game - I was done for the day anyway).

I think there are 7 levels of play in ptw? I'm playing on the 4 from the bottom I think?

The civs that are left in the game are all pretty equal. I am just slightly bigger and more powerful than any one of them.

I relations with the other civs are good, and right now I am in monarchy with 100% going to gold.

I usually switch to Democracy soon after other civs get riflemen and go into a science and build mode, finishing the game in relative peace. When I get tanks I usually expand more but I keep the wars short.

--bill

There are 6 levels in PTW and vanilla (no Demigod and Sid)

There are 8 levels in C3C: Chieftain, Warlord, Regent, Monarch, Emperor, Demigod, Deity and Sid

On monarch you can tech yourself so the Neton's wonder would have some benefit to you but smiths would definitly have benefit to you. I would not build an fp, you can do that in a city next to your palace once you get a factory. an FP will build quick.

I would consider making an army. You can get your Heroic epic and conquer both those wonders latter. In any case, smiths would be a good choice. This would work if you are researching or no. However, newtons have higher culture and if you are going for a cultural win... you might place that wonder in your high culture city.

First choice: Smith's, with the money you save you can fund science.
Second choice: FP. Same story, it'll give you extra production and gold, but it can be build at any time

Top Bottom