• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Which is the best Government

Linad

Chieftain
When I revolt for a new government I get a list of more governments then atoms in a football field :cry:.which is the best?

First, try getting Monarchy ASAP, don't stick around in despotism.

Later on, you could try either Republic and then democracy. It pays off, but they are a bit harder to manage. Or, you could try communism or fundamentalism. Fundamentalism has no unhappiness, which makes it quite easy to play.

Read about them in the civilopeida to get a better idea of the differences.

The "best" really depends on what your goals are. Early in the game you have to research each one progressively, and Monarchy is usually the one you can get to quickest. It also is the only one above Despotism where Settlers eat only one food each. Moving upward to Republic improves the corruption/waste situation but does away with martial law. The final three each have a specialty and a penalty: Democracy has the extra trade of Republic and prevents bribing, but hinders your war machine; Fundy eliminates unhappiness and converts happiness wonders and improvements to tribute, but halves your city science production; and Commy brings back a doubled martial law and Vet Spies but drops the extra trade of Rep/Dem. Choose among them once you have acquired the tech, or build the Statue of Liberty after getting Dem and choose whatever you like.

One other issue, though: have you heard of Oedo years?

When the human player initiates a revolution, or the government "falls" due to disorder issues in Democracy or Republic, the option to reset the government will only appear on one out of four turns sequentially throughout the game. A guy named Oedo discovered the pattern, which looks like XXXOXXXO. So if you have 50 year turns from 4000BC to 1000BC, the reset turns are 3850BC, 3650BC, 3450BC, and so on. If you order a revolt at the end of 3500BC it will take effect at the beginning of the next turn, 3450BC. But if you order the revolt during 3450BC it will not take effect until 3250BC. The revolt must be ordered on the turn before it takes effect, unless you discover the tech during the city processing phase before an Oedo turn takes effect. If you order the revolt the turn before, your cities will not produce gold or beakers but they will produce shields.

Originally posted by Colincivmaster
Communism doesn't seem to have any real use in my opinion though

Actually it does. A commie civ is very stress-free. There's almost nothing to worry about. Happiness is little or no problem. Corruption and waste are no problems. Unit support is almost no problem, especially without waste.

Fundy is awesome for war, but you have to compensate for science by delivering frieghts or switching after all the good techs are researched or only temporarily using it.

Demo is great, after a lot of building up before switching. In a war, you need lots of rush-buying to make up for the unit support, which means lots of freights. You need massive amounts of trade as luxuries to keep people happy or the Theatre.

Communism requires nothing at all. The damn thing runs itself. Everything that benefits the other gov'ts benefits it. It also has no obvious weaknesses that need to corrected, like the other two. Commie's one strength is that its got stability like a solid hunk of granite. It's not the best gov't but it's pretty good.

IIRC, you can change govts untill the end of your turn by hitting the revolution butten, that way you can compair the different govts for your situation. Every govt has something that makes it better than other govts, even if it is just settler food.

Yeah i guess its good if you put it that way. Your right that it doesn't have much corruption but neither does fundamentalism and democracy has none. It doesn't make that much money compared to others. I like the Veteran spy part the best :D

I like fundumentalism the best, but sometimes I'm not sure what to switch into between despotism and fundementalism. The inability of some governments to support units without using lots of shields gets me. Plus, in some govs, you can't have units far away from cities without having unhappy people.

Originally posted by jadelicia
I like fundumentalism the best, but sometimes I'm not sure what to switch into between despotism and fundementalism. The inability of some governments to support units without using lots of shields gets me. Plus, in some govs, you can't have units far away from cities without having unhappy people.

Just ask anyone about Power Democracy.

Go to Monarchy as quickly as possible, then start getting your civ ready for Republic. You will need Temples and Marketplaces to start, and a few trade routes. Republic and Democracy depend on using trade arrows to make Luxuries to keep people happy, and caravan/freight deliveries to get gold and beakers. With the gold you can RushBuy rows of shields as long as you have a couple to start each row. You don't want to be in Rep or Dem if you have to fight a long war (although you can defend against one without fighting if necessary); switch down to Monarchy or over to Commy or Fundy if they are available. But try to get back to Rep or Dem because that is where you will make the greatest strides in wealth and research.

Originally posted by The Person
A pity that you can't have a real army and can't wage a real war with it.
Yes you can. You need Bach, and industrealization. Factories will give you shields, and Bach will solve most of your unhappieness worries, especialy if you use the "military base" strategy. (size 2 city with lots of production)

Originally posted by Linad
When I revolt for a new government I get a list of more governments then atoms in a football field :cry:.which is the best?

Why the heck didn't you just check the civpedia and decide for yourself first?

The civlopedia isn't compleetly acurate. It doesn't tell you about reps extra trade, and it makes you think that fundy has coruption and waste.

Originally posted by Prof. Garfield
The civlopedia isn't compleetly acurate. It doesn't tell you about reps extra trade, and it makes you think that fundy has coruption and waste.

That doesn't mean he should have been totally clueless.

Top Bottom