• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Which is the best Government

scloopy said:
It seems to me that I always have more unhappy citizens in Republic Government than I do Democracy. I also seem to have more corruption in a Republic. Is there a reason or am I not seeing the forest for the trees?
If you are playing on the easyer levels, then the riot factor (more cities means more unhappyness) will be greater in republic, but won't give you blackies to give you a happy citizen for only 2 lux, just more regular unhappys. Democracy is in a way the easyest govt to have people happy, but if you need to make war, you will have more unhappyness. Demo also has no corruption, so all your trade goes to tax, sci and all important lux (that will help keep people happy).

jadelicia said:
Wot's power fundy?
A way of playing fundamentalism. In fundy, your sci is cut in half, and putting the slider to more than 50% sci is a waste. The beakers from trade deliveries are still the same, though. So, by celebrating the fundamentalist cities, they will produce the same amount of trade as a democracy, which means you'll get the same huge trade-offs as in demo. By doing this you avoid the problems with science in fundy, while you still can enjoy all its other advantages...

I think that's the basics in power fundy.:)

No WLTP-growth though.:(

Uh...I'm still not clear on that Funxus. So, you're saying don't put the science above 50% on the tax rate? And wot's "Celebrating the fundamentalist cities"? Is it when they hold "We Love Empress Day"? If so, how does this make you produce the same amount of science as in a democracy?

The beaker production in fundamentalist cities is cut in half. If the science rate is set above 50%, it still counts as 50% in beaker production. And after doing a little experiment, it turns out the beakers aren't wasted, but counts as gold. I.e. the additinal percentages over 50% are added to the Tax-percentage. So, in fundy a 30/50/20 rate is equal to a 10/70/20 rate. Sorry for saying the wrong thing.:)

Celebration is when they celebrate We Love the _ Day. Whenever a city does this it will receive some advantages.

Despotism:
It gets the same production as a city in Monarchy, Communism or Fundamentalism. I.e. normal productivity, the one it says in the Civilopedia.

Monarchy, Communism or Fundamentalism:
It gets the same production as a city in Republic or Democracy. I.e. one more trade on each square already producing a trade arrow.

Republic or Democracy:
The city will grow an entire pop from the turn after it starts celebrating, as long as there is enough food and the required improvements are built (Aque and Sewer).

This means that a celebrating fundamentalist city will produce an extra trade arrow, just like in democracy and republic. So, by celebrating, the fundamentalist cities can produce the same huge amounts of trade arrows as a repbulic or democratic city, and therefore give as huge pay-offs when freights are delivered.:)

Even in Fundy one tech per turn is possible.
Here's my strategy.

Keep your cities celebrating :
- First of all, build the happy making wonders (Mike's, Bach's, Cure for Cancer)
- Build marketplace, banks, stock exchanges, superhighways.
- set your tax rate to 0, science and lux to 50% (you don't need any taxes!)
- Hire some scientists
- Trade! Trade! Trade!
- Don't forget to build temples and coliseums (if you want to switch to demo)

Steal techs. Bribe AI Cities. Disband obsolete warriors to build citywalls (or a marketplace or a temple). Then build diplos in that city to bribe the next city.
First target - Cities with wonders in it.

Don't forget to switch sometimes to demo (->oedo-years, if you don't have the SoL)
for celebration (growth) purposes.

Hire an entertainer and ckick on him once or twice. This can only be done in a city with five or more population. Scientists give 3 extra beakers per turn (before libraries etc.) and Taxmen give 3 extra gold (before markets etc.).

Personally, being expansionistic, i go straight from Monarchy to Democracy. Set the levels to 3-4-3, be sure to get Bachs, Michaelangelos, UN, Cure for Cancer, and Suffrage, get your luxury improvements, then watch your population soar!

Ive only ever played up to King, so i dont know if this'll work on higher levels...

HMonster said:
Ive only ever played up to King, so i dont know if this'll work on higher levels...

If you like playing as a Democracy, you may want to check out the "Power Democracy Consolidated" thread. There's a link in the Index thread stickied to the top of this subforum. There's also a couple other links in there you might want to check out in there, too.

I most often lay this way:
Start with Despostism, and as soon as possible, change to Monarchy. And as soon as possible, to Communism.
Then I invest on technology and war. I take a lot of land and research a lot of science.

When I have no techs to research, I change to Fundamentalism, and cash starts to flow into my pockets. I launch the final world war and win the game.

I have the same technique. I quickly discover Monarchy and change government. Then I quickly discover democracy, I build Statue of Liberty and I change government to Communism.

Even if you like warfare the best, a quick, well planned stop-over in republic or democracy can be very beneficial. Be ready to crank up the luxuries and let your cities grow for a couple of turns. Nothing empowers your empire like a quick population surge!

If you know what you're doing and have the patience to micromanage your empire, Democracy is probably the best government you can get. Since I'm lazy and don't like micromanagement, I just go for Fundamentalism and churn out enough military units to crush all other empires.

I've always found it kind of sad that so many Civvers research Democracy and build the Statue of Liberty - only to use it to switch to Communism or Fundamentalism. I wish that wonder power had been given to another wonder instead - like maybe the Eiffel Tower?

Just a thought...

ElephantU said:
I wish that wonder power had been given to another wonder instead - like maybe the Eiffel Tower?

Just a thought...

I am very fond of the idea that the Eiffel Tower serves no purpose at all (also in RL :) ).

Just a thought...

Revised civilopedia entry:

Eiffel Tower
Cost: 300 sheilds
Evailable with: Steam Engine
Expires: Never

Benefits: Looks impressive.

Top Bottom