[GS] Which map type is considered the most balanced?

Which map type (on large) would you consider the most balanced for multiplayer?

• Continents

• Fractal

• Inland Sea

• Pangaea

• Shuffle

• Archipelago

• Seven Seas

• Small Continents

• Other (please write)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Snakeb1te

Chieftain
I'm looking to play balanced games with my friends, not overly competitive, but with the fairest settings possible.

I would say Small Continents, but want to know what the community thinks. Keep in mind they're friendly games but with a competitive slant - we will still attack each other and sabotage and all the rest of it! Just not always.

Pangaea can be good for starting out with friends since there's less factors and just focusing on military and not much on navy. I like setting teams with friends and working together against the AI on high (Immortal, Diety) difficulties - but this also depends on how the map seeds you close together or further apart. Continents when you are further apart really can be opposite sides of the map if you're on different continents so you're not really even playing together until mid/late game.

Pangaea is most balanced. Though 7 Seas is becoming a favorite of the regular competitive mp players. The other maps are mainly unbalanced in stuff like city state distribution and landmass size.

Pangaea is most balanced. Though 7 Seas is becoming a favorite of the regular competitive mp players. The other maps are mainly unbalanced in stuff like city state distribution and landmass size.
Really? Seven Seas seems to me to be poor for seafaring factions no?

And I can't see how Pangaea could be the most balanced when there are a lot of naval factions that would have their effectiveness severely reduced.

balance balance. people talk about balance all the time. if u want a balanced game go play chess. civ is not all about balance

balance balance. people talk about balance all the time. if u want a balanced game go play chess. civ is not all about balance
If you don't like it then how about go away? I'm essentially asking which map is most favoured by the community to allow for the fairest settings in multiplayer.

Nobody said anything about perfect balance.

And I can't see how Pangaea could be the most balanced when there are a lot of naval factions that would have their effectiveness severely reduced.

Pangaea has plenty of coastline. A naval civ would look to invade down the coast or across the ocean. Since the release of GS, pangaea isn't just a pancake with irregular edges. There are twists and turns in the land making it very viable for naval civs.
Really? Seven Seas seems to me to be poor for seafaring factions no?
Generally there are 3-4 major seas on the map, with the rest being not so big. Plenty of coastline and even a decent sized island or two to colonize. Canals can be used in some areas to connect major seas.

Why would the map have anything to do with whats balanced?
Players dont value maps the same way. Specific civs likes specific land.

The ONLY possible balance issue regarding maps that I could see, is Small continents, with High water.
Then Norway would have a big advantage.
Or Pangea, then civs who has any power with ocean units, gets weakend.

But thats it......

I think the word "Balance", means differently to people. Balance isnt to get the best for YOUR civ or YOUR view on whats a good terrain.
Balance isnt that everyone starts with the same thing. Like close to a natural wonder, city state, etc.

Each game is up to you! You dont like your starting area? ADAPT, and expand.
Someone got more bonus and lux where they started then others? SO WHAT?!!??!

In MP, I only play with Continents or Fractal. Normal everything, but legendary start = ALL will gets something lux/bonus
Also, spending a few moves exploring IS a choice all can do. Sure, you loose not having a capital, but you increase your chance of putting the capital in the better spot.
This is a choice, you live with.

I always play on Maraton. Because in MP, I play with players I played with before.

When starting a MP game, I always give 5 turns for everyone to say if the map was good, or not. AS IN; if you start in only Snow = you say so, and we create a new map.
Civ is balanced enough. In multiplaying, its the human and pure luck thats the real power.

i played one withy a big ocen i the middle......and it was land sprawling in from the corners...wierd clled island panagea....but dont remember

Top Bottom