Which wonders given the resource will you always go for?

Yeah 1 food would have been awesome, unfortunately it just gives 1 population point, In bts at least. The health point is great though. But you also have to build an expensive aqueduct that you don't need at that point (unless it's your UB). I only build it in a wonderspam game.

Always : none.

Almost always : the Great Wall, the Oracle, the Great Library, the Statue of Liberty, the Pentagon (altough this one doesn't need a specific resource in BTS IIRC).

The AI has been performing hexing rituals to defeat you though. Word on the street is that they intend to secretly slip an extra AI civ into the game, that gets 10000 hammers and beakers per turn but never builds anything but wonders, doesn't tech trade, and will tend to get captured by shaka because they put it on the other side of the map :lol:.
Isn't that Gandhi ? :mischief:

Here are thoughts for what may seem less obvious reasons:

If stone: Pyramids + Hanging Gardens, primarily for their early Great Engineer points. That=Instant wonders up to SoL.

If Marble: Pretty much any of the Ancient/Classical wonders possible (combined with Industrious/Golden Age, getting all/nearly all is not far-fetched up to Prince level or even Monarch, if someone doesn't attack you): Parthenon, Oracle, ToArtemis (this is the one AI seems to prioritize among these), Great Library, Maussollos. Spread these across two cities and they will be set without much other help for culture win when they start generating 16-20:culture: each after obsolescence. Then dump Hermitage and settle great artists in a third city, switch to building military defense and coast to culture win.

I nearly always tend to try to get Stonehenge. I find it makes a massive difference in the expansion phase, being able to get better city positions, knowing your boarder will pop soon enough from that free monument. Doubly affective if you're charismatic for the extra 1 :)

If I get stone I'll nearly always try to grab the Mids, if I get marble I try for everything Mable based ;)

In general, I avoid building wonders, but I always go for the Great Library, regardless of traits, civics, and resources.

Other ones that I commonly (once every few games) go for are the Colossus, the Pyramids, the Great Lighthouse, and Angkor Wat.

With the exception of the Pyramids, the decision to build those wonders is independent of resources. But I won't always attempt the Pyramids if I have stone.

BTW building the GLH and the Colossus is not really good. With the GLH you desperately want astronomy. With the Colossus, you avoid astronomy.

Stonehenge, The Great Library, the Statue of Liberty.

BTW building the GLH and the Colossus is not really good. With the GLH you desperately want astronomy. With the Colossus, you avoid astronomy.

The other way to look at this; is, the Colossus helps get to Astronomy quicker and hence you can make better use of the GLH ;)

I'm really suprised the hanging gardens arn't more popular, the great engineer point is nice, the +1 food in all cities literally gives you enough food that its almost an immediate payback for building the wonder in the first place. Not to mention +1 health in all cities at higher levels isnt anything to scoff at (then again if your game is pangea it probably is more or less useless).

It USED to be more popular... until it went through multiple nerfs.

If I have Stone, I will always make a shot for University of Sankore. It only requires that you prioritize the Lib beeline and the added value of getting to the wonder makes the beeline more desirable. If I can swing it, Spiral Minaret+University, then spam the state religion buildings.

If I have Marble, I take the Lib beeline as well and make a try for Taj.

Everything else is optional.

I almost always go for the 'mids, usually the Glib, although for whatever reason I haven't even tried for it in my last two games. More recently I've been going for the GW, those great spys just rock for espionage, I think I will start trying for it, if at all possible.

Ones I like and go for if the situation resources are right, the Spiral Minaret, University of Sankore and Apostolic Palace + a shrined religion, just gives an unbelievable economic boost. The pentagon, is another fav of mine for that late game military boost.

If I've marble i take a shot at GL and Parthenon, sometimes Pyramids if i've stone. I love GLH but it's just too hard to get. No other addictions. I have come to hate the GW and it's ugly spy points. better build a few archers.

Marble

Very Often: {Great Library}

More Often than Rarely: {Mausoleum of Maussollos, Oracle, Parthenon, Taj}

Stone

Very Often: {None}

More Often than Rarely: {Pyramids}

Coastal

Very Often: {Great Lighthouse}

I'm also a fan of the Hanging Gardens, but I almost always miss it. If I have Gold or Ivory I'll consider the Statue of Zeus (AI denial) and the Shwedagon Paya (early Free Religion, if diplomacy is complicated).

The later wonders are more dependent on the tech path than resources. The Kremlin is great, but usually at least one of Democracy/Rifling/Steel has a higher priority than chasing Communism -- and the AI seems to like early SciMeth.

Depends where the resource is. If I have stone/marble in my capital's BFC then I will:

Stone: Stonehenge/GW/Pyramids for sure

Marble: ToA/Oracle/Parthenon/GL for sure

If it is just nearby I don't worry about it really unless it happens to be in a location I would settle anyways. However, I do try to look for marble when it comes time to build the Taj, which I usually build in most of my games.

Stone-
Pyramids

Marble-
Great Library

These seem to be the "always" group.

For "almost always", there are several, but I'll have to play more games to see which ones they are.

I like to go for the Mids as it is a very powerful wonder (boosting science and allowing for vertical growth). I've been trying to crack the Emporer barrier the last couple of weeks and my last two starts have had stone. It works great to build the Mids, then time your tech development to get Lit just as your GE is generated then use him to build the GL.

In this fashion I have been able to pick up other techs that I wouldn't normally get if I was going to have to build the GL without a GE. It has also allowed me to use the forests remaining around my capital (after chopping the Mids) to produce other wonders (Parth or SOZ).

As I haven't played very much, I haven't developed a set style but definitely find the Mids and GL to be a good set of Wonders to help keep science up in the early game.

I forgot to say that I often go for the HG if I have stone. It is an underrated wonder imho, especially if you are rexing hard early and manage to get it.

I go to Angkor Walt if I have some Holy City and need a Great Prophet... hard to get after I build the Great Library. I use Angkor Walt when I start isolated/semi-isolated in a sea map, low production, high food. So I can get lot of Great Prophets to increase my production. The gold is good too.

Top Bottom