Who else agrees that Civ 5 has been dumbed down?

Who else agrees that Civ 5 has been dumbed down?

• Yes

Votes: 853 50.7%
  • No

Votes: 677 40.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 152 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The way the percentage of Yes votes have been going up in the last few days (from around 25% to 41% now) shows, I think, that among the people who spent their time playing the game a bit more before sharing their opinion, the proportion who think it's dumbed down is higher. Higher than among those who voted based on first impressions.

Right, not only that, but also the players that are familiar with Civ in the past to come out of the woodwork and get in the forums to express their disappointment in the new game.

What they should have given us is improved Civ with better graphics and hexes, instead we got a dumbing down that leans toward the AI in Civ Rev.

I lol every time I see this topic because of the grammatical error in the title. It makes it sound like a mentally challenged person screaming at a stove for being hot.

Moderator Action: Inappropriate comments like this are frowned upon, please keep the discussion civil.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I lol every time I see this topic because of the grammatical error in the title. It makes it sound like a mentally challenged person screaming at a stove for being hot.

:lol::lol::lol:

Sounds about right.

I've been playing this game since it was DOS based. I've enjoyed every new version that has come out, mostly because each new version brought something new to the franchise.

This is the first new version I truly do not like.

After giving Civ 5 a chance to peak my interest after about 12 hours of play, I realized it was pretty boring.

Taking away, religion, civics, espionage, and dare I say, the Stack of Doom, has really diminished this game. I don't like it. It's almost as if they ported a wimpy X-box or Playstation game to the P.C.

There's little depth of play here. I really don't like it and I'm very disappointed. This game was hobbled in order to draw in new players while casting off those of us who remember how you used to have to hack your config.sys files and autoexec.bat files to get some PC games to work.

Hope you do a better job next time. I also won't buy any new version or upgrade right away until I read the reviews. I should have paid attention to the New York Times review.

I will say this, my 14-year-old son who has never played any other version of Civ loves this game. That says it all.

One other thing, though my info tag shows I'm a recent member, I joined this forum several years ago. I fogot my log in and have since changed my internet provider so my old e-mail address is dead. All of us old timers are not just coming out of the woodwork now.

He's from Israel. Sorry that his english isn't as spectacular as yours.

I'd like to see you try and speak his language on an Israeli forum.

You and your plus five happiness.

Moderator Action: <snip> This is an English only forum. Also, if you have a problem with a post, please report it and refrain from replying directly, thanks.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Civ 5 is not a dumbed down version of Civ 4. It's different.

From a strategy perspective, I vote that Civ 5 requires me to be more disciplined than in Civ 4.

Civ 5 requires me to weigh how to specialize my cities and how to use finite resources. It requires me to think about what resources I want, and how defensible my city placement is. It requires me to deploy units as a real military advisor would. Every choice I make seems to be an important one.

In Civ 4, I can dominate the game simply by having bronze or iron, when my neighbor has none, and then spam the strongest military units. In Civ 4, I can build cities chessboard style, for no reason other than to set them on auto-build, and add a few coins to my coffer. In Civ 4 I can build a stack of units a hundred feet high. In Civ 4 SODs always attack with its best unit, and defends with its best unit.

In Civ 4, I never bothered to make paratroopers, marines, or blimps. There are too few scenarios to require a unit with the territory penetration of paratroopers. Marines can't upgrade to mechs and amphibious assaults are rarely useful. Blimps never seemed to do enough damage, and spies were more useful for scouting and damaging improvements.

Only played Civ 5 once, and suddenly paratroopers make sense, because I needed to overcome a 2 hex choke-point.

I don't see lack of religion to be a problem. Vanilla Civ 4 didn't have them, and there were few strategic reasons to not use religion. If you could found a religion with your first research, you might as well for the +1 happiness. Then every other Civ wanted you to open borders with them, giving you the opportunity to scope out their map, and spread your religion all over the place. Pop a great prophet, and now you're getting gold on top of the huge early game bonus.

Strategy implies choice. If founding a religion is almost always the best move for a Civ that starts with mysticism, then I would say it isn't much of a strategy.

Espionage is something I really miss from Civ 4, as I miss the Diplomats from previous Civ (2 or 3?).

I think Civ 5 has better baseline game concepts, and will provide more opportunities to be expanded on or exploited by a future addons than previous versions of the game. So I'm hopeful that I'll be playing Civ 5 for many years to come.

civ IV was ridiculously complicated.. even as a Civ Vet I found myself putting my civ 4 complete dvd away in a drawer because of how the complexity killed the fun factor. I just took the Civ5 demo for a try and purchased the full version because I actually like this version and how I dont have to micromanage Espionage, Religion, What unit gets Bonuses against what other units, etc... I also wont miss the cartoony dated graphics of Civ 4

He's from Israel. Sorry that his english isn't as spectacular as yours.

I'd like to see you try and speak his language on an Israeli forum.

You and your plus five happiness.

Moderator Action: <snip> This is an English only forum. Also, if you have a problem with a post, please report it and refrain from replying directly, thanks.

:cool:, there are many of us in the forums that speak english as a second language. Sometimes we make mistakes, but I like to think I speak well. Thanks for noticing that.

It hasn't been dumbed down. A lot of elements were simplified a bit so players can focus more on other elements.

-I like the unified happiness system (again)
-I like city states as an idea (implementation needs more tweaking)
- I like removing the transport unit entirely, so units can travel sea/water tiles depending on the tech you have access to
- I like the implementation of ranged
- I like the removal of stacking

What I find needs ALOT of work is the AI.

It just seems really off. Hard to put my finger on it.

civ IV was ridiculously complicated.. even as a Civ Vet I found myself putting my civ 4 complete dvd away in a drawer because of how the complexity killed the fun factor. I just took the Civ5 demo for a try and purchased the full version because I actually like this version and how I dont have to micromanage Espionage, Religion, What unit gets Bonuses against what other units, etc... I also wont miss the cartoony dated graphics of Civ 4

So technically you agree with those of us who say it's dumbed down. I personally felt Civ 4 even with all its expansions was too simple. Paradox games are complicated, yet still fun. Compared to many of their games, Civ 4 is like a flash game.

Civ 5 feels like a Euro boardgame. They certainly have their merits, as a a pastime playing with friends, but I expect more intellectual stimulation from the Civ series. And some semblance of empire building simulation. If I wanted to play a pure abstract strategy game disconnected from reality, I'd play chess. That at least is more challenging and interesting.

Although I don't have the game, from many comments on here, it looks like that was a wise decision. It sounds like an incredibly boring game compared to Civ4. With so many of those feature removed, I'd never want to play it.

However, you watch. They're probably doing it so they can make more money off you by adding all the good stuff in a DLC which they know everyone will buy, so they get more cash than if they added it in the base game anyway.

All this has put me off buying Civ5 and will keep me on Civ4.

Definitely dumbed down! I feel fobbed off having to play this alongside civilization 4 if I want the full civ experience! Civ 4 opened up new developments from civ 3, it seems civ 5 is going backwards in a lot of ways and forwards in very few.

However in it's own right it is still a good game, with the combat being fantastic!

But it doesn't feel like civilization compared to it's predecessors and i can see myself being bored and moving back to civ 4 soon.

But it doesn't feel like civilization compared to it's predecessors and i can see myself being bored and moving back to civ 4 soon.

That's already happened to me...every time I try to get a game of Civ5 going it just fails to draw me in to invest the time to complete it.

Civ4 on my laptop, on the other hand....

Maybe the game will develop well over time; I know it will If this community has anything to do with it.

I don't think it is a very good game right now, it will take great mods to make it worthwhile. It is bloated and oversized for what it is. A hex grid game simply should not require the computer power or resources that this does.

Dumbed Down? Yes, a bit.

We should all still remember that Civilization V continues to be the highest played game since release. It's also interesting that the population that believes Civilization V as dumbed down is the same one that believes that religion should be brought back into the game.

It's also interesting that the population that believes Civilization V as dumbed down is the same one that believes that religion should be brought back into the game.

Meaning what? Have all the cool kids agreed that religion in the game should be shunned?

It's also interesting that the population that believes Civilization V as dumbed down is the same one that believes that religion should be brought back into the game.

So what's your point? Yeah religion wasn't done properly in Civ 4 and if they'd made a proper Civilization sequel, something they could have looked at would be a proper implementation of religion.

But with the current state of Civ 5, we can't even begin to discuss religion because there's so much fundamentally lacking in the game, in terms of complexity and depth. It would be like discussing if the right kind of salt shaker is on the dinner table when the steak's not even properly cooked.

Everyone with half a brain can see Civ5 has been dumbed down to attract the masses of gamers who want a quick and simple game.

Tons of features have been removed or simplified, everything streamlined to give a most uninteresting game experience which offers little variation.

And it doesn't matter whether some features were done poorly in Civ4, the fact is that instead of trying to improve on certain features (for instance religion, espionage, diplomacy), Firaxis chose to develop a game for the masses. Not only that, they released a bug laden fiasco with a lot of game breaking bugs, a ton of other bugs and a catastrophic AI. There is virtually no improvement compared to Civ4 while a lot of the interesting gameplay elements have been removed!

Sad to hear that apparently Civ 5 puts its focus there. These comments remind me of those for Civ 3, a game that I bought too soon and which I played for about 2 weeks before it got relegated and never played again. I won't make the same mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom