Who stopped playing?

I stopped playing several weeks ago. And the game actually got worse... or at least less fun... the more I played. While the new battle mechanics and 1upt were really fun in the first few games, after a while it got too tedious. It's like a more advanced kind of chess, with a really dumb AI. But the Civ I love is not a tactical war-game, it's a game that let's me build an empire.

In earlier versions, I could sit for ten minutes and just admire my greatest cities. If I lost one of them to an opponent, many times I would quit the game out of rage. I could get so angry if Monty ruined what could have been a high score game, and the revenge was so sweet every time I killed off all of his SoD's with a couple of cats and some highly promoted elephants.

In civ 5, you basically have bases instead of cities, an if you are good at battle tactics, you seem to be able to neglect the rest of the game. And when you get tired of battling, the game is really, really boring.

I have played civ5 for two months, not all the time 24 hrs - so It meant sg. like 6-7 full games...
Last weekend I decided to put it to rest until next patch,
which means a month rest, likely.

(and I re-installed civ4 to play RFC, or FFH, or RoM)

Play multiplayer. Single player mode is really bad for all reasons mentionned, i agree.

But the new combat system make this game very enjoyable against humans, and pretty balanced.

In fact, civ5 multi is better than civ4 multi.

Are people seriously reading two to three pages of stories about why people have stopped playing and THEN complaining about us making them read it?

Maybe this explains why you are still playing. :D

But a real question. IF you ARE still playing. What are you finding intriguing. (The Multi-player point was well made, and in Multi how do you balance the Imbalances between the nations??)

Play multiplayer. Single player mode is really bad for all reasons mentionned, i agree.

But the new combat system make this game very enjoyable against humans, and pretty balanced.

In fact, civ5 multi is better than civ4 multi.

Forgive me, but is that supposed to be sarcasm? I really honestly cannot tell.

The Civ5 MP is an absolute abomination.

From another forum

1) No Downloadable Civs, Babylon and the Monguls can't be played in Multiplayer or be opposing Civs, they just don't show up. Glad you paid an extra 5-10 for Babylon?

2) No animation of units. Units just pop around the map and don't walk. When fighting red numbers appear with no animation. It's hard to even tell if you've been attached or are attacking. Especially at the beginning of the turn when the computer attacks you. If you miss the semi-transparent text that appears at the top of the screen for a moment at the beginning of battle and fades within a few seconds you won't have a clue how a battle went.

3) No animation or even portrait of other civs. When you contact them for diplomacy you get text pop ups and that's all. Hard to even remember who you're talking to except for their civ's icon at the left of the text.

4) Other civs *never* contact you diplomatically. They might declare war on you but they won't warn you they were going to do it and won't contact you for open borders, etc. They won't even beg for peace and offer you lots of stuff if you're trouncing them in battle. It's like they're mute unless you go to them first.

5) Civs don't declare war on each other. Maybe I just never noticed it but it seems like Civs never attack one another in multiplayer.

6) No tutorial messages. If you're new to the game you have to play single player if you want tutorial pop ups. They don't exist here.

7) Saving is hidden. There's no "Save" on the menu. You have to press Ctrl-S to save.

8) Connection issues for some people, especially with LAN. As other multiplayer topics have said connection is fickle. Not everyone has this problem but I can't ever host a LAN game although I can accept it (although sometimes even that doesn't work). Internet games are fine so it's weird that LAN is such a problem.

9) No achievements except for the one "Last Man Standing' multiplayer achievement. Even if you beat a game with a leader you've never played before you won't get the achievement. All but one are only for single player :-(

10) There's no voiced over intro for your leader at the start of a game and the text box talking about them disappears as soon as loading is complete so you don't even have time to read it or refer to your special units.

11) When you reach a new Era there is no pop up telling you so. There isn't even a small text message at the top like they do with some other announcements. Yes you can just go into culture to see what's still locked or see if your workers have a costume change but that shouldn't be necessary.

12) Similarly getting new tech gives you a little icon at the side letting you know and even clicking that gives you a voice over for the name but never the quote. If you like hearing the quotes, too bad.

13) Clearing barbarian civs or ruins gives you a quick white text at the top that quickly fades, rather than a pop up window you can close once you've read it. What did you get from the ruins? Better read fast to find out or else you'll never know!

And that doesn't even take into account that it is virtually impossible to play with 5+ players due to the horrible connection issues (same group of people have 0 problems playing together in Civ4). On top of that, if you do manage to get a working game to start, you cannot continue the same game unless every person that was originally in the game is there to start it with you.

Don't even get me started on how you cannot save different MP games...

Singleplayer is underwhelming too....

I played 2 full singleplayer games, about 6-7 MP attempts (were never able to finish due to bugs/crashes/missing players upon continuation), stopped playing for several weeks and am now back to Civ4.

HA!

I had no idea.

I know they used the console team on this development. Seems they designed it soley as a console game...or didn't have the knowledge to make it a PC game.

AS someone who works in Software development...wow, just wow

PS

they got my 50 bucks..So well done.

But you won't be getting another Shekel !!

Haven't played in over a month, pop my head back in here every now and again to see if the patch is out or if something has improved but just find more annoyed people every time. When I first came on to stress about this terrible game it seemed most people disagreed with me and for life of me I couldn't understand how anyone thought it was an improvement, seems most people have come to the same conclusion as me now.

Haven't played in over a month, pop my head back in here every now and again to see if the patch is out or if something has improved but just find more annoyed people every time. When I first came on to stress about this terrible game it seemed most people disagreed with me and for life of me I couldn't understand how anyone thought it was an improvement, seems most people have come to the same conclusion as me now.
Same here pretty much.

Civ5 is so bad that I don't even miss it anymore.

I played one last game recently, to test how effective ICS really was if I followed through with really building cities like crazy. (Answer--devastatingly effective.) Will repeat after the patch to see if anything has changed.

I've only had two matches since owning the game (it sounds worse than it is; I had to sort my PC out before I could properly play Civ 5), but I can't be doing with the lack of stuff I took for granted in Civ 4.

Really hoping that patches will sort a lot of the crap out, but until then, I'm done.

If there's one good thing to come out of Civ5 for me, it's that it helped me expand my normally Civ-centric PC gaming life to some of the other good historical strategies out there.

While the new battle mechanics and 1upt were really fun in the first few games, after a while it got too tedious
This

I started a few AW (Always War) games and felt sucked into the 1upt rules and new strategies. However, with so few units to play with, so little options for your cities, it just gets cumbersome.
In fact that 1upt-rule often means clogging of units. Strategy in Civ 5 means how to overcome the limitations in movement (no roads too as they cost you) rather than fighting the AI in epic battles. There is more strategy in fighting big stacks than figuring out how to move few units around the front without getting stuck in a traffic jam. Annoying to no end.

I decided to play again after quitting during the first month and waiting on some patches. This weekend I fired up the game and gave it a go on Prince. I thumped the AI with a score of 5111 and ended in a domination around 2000. I wasn't sure why it kept crashing towards the end it was just a normal map. Also I noticed that nobody had anything higher than rifles at any point, and the final Civilization that I wiped out was only coming at me with knights. :crazyeye:

Tonight I decided to go up a level and play on King.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I thought the AI was supposed to get the advantage! :king:

Attachments

• civtry1.jpg
    civtry1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 369
  • civtry2.jpg
    civtry2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 378
  • civtry3.jpg
    civtry3.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 360
Yeah, yeah its a boring game and i stopped playing it after giving it a hundred hours too judge it fairly.... but i will still check civfanatics from time to time to see if the game will improve with coming updates and expansions the coming two or three years.... Til then i have fun with civ4 and various mods i havent tried...and ofc many other nice games like Fallout New Vegas (it actually is fun between the freezes and bugs) and the coming WoW Cataclysm (that i hope will give my lust for WoW a rebirth)

Played about 3 games, around 40 hours and stopped. A lot already posted on here but basically:-

Game is obviously not finished yet
Its relatively boring compared with Civ IV even though its new !
Its too easy

I have played civ5 for two months, not all the time 24 hrs - so It meant sg. like 6-7 full games...
Last weekend I decided to put it to rest until next patch,
which means a month rest, likely.

(and I re-installed civ4 to play RFC, or FFH, or RoM)

This.

I haven't played in a month and I have no real desire to play again... or maybe I should say "worse than... This." because I have virtually zero hope or faith patching can solve my problems with the game. I find the same patch-needs as annoying as everyone else, but I don't see how you can patch the next turn boredom out the game. The core mechanics of V just don't work for me.

I will say this...

I've gone back to RoM and still haven't grown tired of it... but on a lark, I decided to download Fall from Heaven last weekend.

Wow.

It's like a whole new game. Love it.

Soo.... I guess that's one thing I can thank CiV for -- not quite sure it was worth the $100 -- but if V had been any good, there's an excellent chance I'd have never gone back to any of the IV mods I never played.

That's what passes for my bright side of V :)

I stopped playing after few weeks and returned to Civ IV BTS :) Maybe when they release a good patch (Civ V is in my opinion still unfinished) or mod that will change it into Civ IV BTS+ I'll play it again. Right now I have a better Civ - BTS :)

Top Bottom