Who stopped playing?

GUYS!! Send me your steam account so I can play Civ!

I keep seeing this comment, from various posters, again and again. Please understand that I have nothing against you personally, but your statement is stupid. It is myopic in that it doesn't see the bigger picture. What is the bigger picture? That Steam sell games other than CiV. That Steam account holders will have other games on their account. Why should they give up their account, and their other games, just because they dislike CiV? Hopefully, this is the last that we will see of this silly, provocative, statement.

I quitted after about 2 weeks and have been playing FFH for the last few weeks trying to collect all the trophies.
Civ V has very little fun value along the way to an inevitable victory over the ho-hum AI.
It probably appeals to people who feel triumphant over the fact that they are clever enough to put melee units before archers and slaughter the AIs which do not. Or maybe taking advantages of the puppet civs ? I don't know. I can't see where the fun is.

I was so hyped for this game too. I burned serious brownie points with the wife to get it and *meh*

Count me totally disappointed.

Ha! Me too, $80 for a computer game when we are paying off the house and have other bills was a discussion. But she knew I've played since Civ I, how much I was looking forward to this and she is a lovely person anyway :)

I think I played it for a week before feeling pretty bored with it. Hoping the patches and modders make it nice, and hoping they stick to DLC rather than expansions and that any future mods won't require any of the DLC, thus I won't need to sink another cent into it.

At least with Elemental: War of Magic I'm guaranteed two free expansion packs, and the work to make that game is constant and open to public viewing. And they recently hired Kael :)

I stoped 3 weeks ago after finishing 3 games.

Since Civ Revolutions was lauched with a console version, Civilization died as a game for me. It was so simplified for the console people that I'm back with Civ IV and very happy with it.

The decision to go to consoles killed one of the most sucefull game franchises ever...

Haven't played recently due to a combination of Borderlands, cramming for the GMAT, and waiting for the patch.

Any concrete release date for that yet btw?

I bought it when it came out (in Denmark) and gave up a couple of weeks later. Quite a disappointment and nuff said about the deficiencies in various threads. I expect to get back to it once in a while to see what has happened with it and if any promising total conversion mods have been released.

Launched the game last time on 4th of November.

I stopped playing Civ V. Maybe I will return to after some patches or expansions.
It's just bad that after Civ IV was released and was buggy I tried to play Civ III and had to stop after 150 turns or so because Civ IV was so much better even with the bugs. This time I just don't have this feeling, I went back to Civ IV and really enjoy it.

It's a pity that the good concepts of Civ V are so bad implemented. 1 upt is cool but it does not work because the AI cannot handle it. City states sound nice but are overpowered and their tasks are only killing other city states after turn 200. All victory types except cultural are the same, always war and city spam! UN victory is probably the worst, no more resolutions, just bribing city states. Global happiness and connection to golden ages could work but you need a small empire to get more than one GA in a game from it. I like that cities can defend themselves but they are too weak and you can take a city with just two units.

Other bad parts from Civ V are random diplomacy, no terrain differences, too few improvements, high building maintances, long building times, buildings one dimensional (this means they have only one function compared to 2 or 3 in Civ IV), too fast tech rates, the tech tree in general, no more vassals, no end game movie, no replays.

What I like more than in Civ IV is hexes, culture expansion, social policies, no SOD, ranged attack, unique abilities, no sliders.

I still have some hope for Civ V but only time will tell...

32 hours played last played on 11/1/10 (just to make sure a patch didnt cause crashing) Its so terrible :-(.

big disappointment.

I agree with a previous statement. Switching to consoles killed one of the best TBS franchises ever.

I stoped too.

I agree almost entirely with Schimmi: "almost" because the only thing I prefer about hexes is the city expansion and I miss stacks, not necessarily of doom. But oh so dull, dull, dull.

Siv works best in periods. If you play 24 hours (just one more turn) then you will grow tired of it.

I think fireaxis should have worked more on diplomacy, diplomacy is half the fun. Watching that angry/happy/anxious leader is always a thrill. There should be more options, trade embargos and stuff. This can be largely improved. The diplomacy screen is the work of lazy men.

+1. I played civ for years, day after day, week after week, getting slightly bored of Civ I to go into MoO or MoM, never got bored with II or IV (I might have taken a few 1 week-pauses to play something else). Civ V is just not fun. I hope there might be a patch around january that might let me try it again but I doubt it'll be worth playing more than 1 or 2 games even patched.

I stopped playing about a month ago, when I got fallout. I've been playing that since, and it has it's own problems but it's still fun regardless. I haven't even thought about playing v, and doubt I will for a while. Probably when it's patched.

I really tried to like it. But, after 89 hours of trying, it's off my machine.

I won't repeat the complaints others have made. But, I would add this comment:

Find out the names of the developers who worked on this crap, and don't ever let them near a computer again. Ever. :mad:

I stopped but it's more of taking a break than quitting.

I played for well over 300 hours and that's enough for a first burst. I always play any civ this way (and similar games like galciv). I play a ton for a couple weeks then take a few weeks break, then get back to it again intensely later.

I like Civ 5. It's not perfect and has some things that could be done better. We'll see how the patching, expansions, user mods go.

I rarely post here, or on bboards more generally. But I just had to respond here. It is a little like signing the guest register at a funeral.

I've played Civ and every other Sid Meier game for years. I am profoundly disappointed with this game, and doubt that any amount of modding and patching can give it the same Sid Meier addictiveness that has been so entrancing in the past.

I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I think it is something more profound than just the bugs of a too-early release. I love the hexes and the graphic beauty of the game--but that beauty is skin deep and something is missing from the soul.

I'm on a Civ 5 pause; I'll probably come back when the patch is released.

Here, here. Oh, and the good thing is that my family and friends have stopped making fun of me for being so excited and then having to admit what a failure the game is. My wife actually remembers the MOO3 days, it turns out. Darn.

I rarely post here, or on bboards more generally. But I just had to respond here. It is a little like signing the guest register at a funeral.

I've played Civ and every other Sid Meier game for years. I am profoundly disappointed with this game, and doubt that any amount of modding and patching can give it the same Sid Meier addictiveness that has been so entrancing in the past.

I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I think it is something more profound than just the bugs of a too-early release. I love the hexes and the graphic beauty of the game--but that beauty is skin deep and something is missing from the soul.

THIS! Exactly! Well put sir!

I put in 368 hours into civ 4 so far, civ 5 i got a total of 38 hours and after that i stopped playing.

Top Bottom