1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Whose game videos would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by ZooBooBooZoo, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Welcome to CivFanatics!

2. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

I enjoy that too. Not making fun at all, it amazes me when people can do entire series of something in their non-native language. I can only imagine what I would be like trying to do an LP in another language :eek:

And yes I do occasionally use adult language because I do a stream-of-consciousness commentary most of the time. I do my best to censor myself though except when the situation calls for it(Napoleon couping my CS ally when we're at war...).

Anyway this is kind of echoing everyone but:

MadDjinn he's got 3 LPs for BNW so far as well as a bit of scenario stuff, he also does other games]
    Primeval just finished up a Shoshone LP and he'll probably get some MP action soon, I've seen him around recently
    Yoruus has a nice bunch of MP videos for BNW already that I need to sit down and watch. I might do it at lunch break today since like half the office is at meetings/out of town(one is in ireland, luck bastard)...plus I'm a dork :lol:
    Moriarte as posted before, he does that warmongering thing fantastically
    and idk I'm around somewhere too but eh

3. heatscore

heatscore Chieftain

A few good names have been mentioned (I also like MadDjinn) but I would suggest not looking at anything in the LP + Stories forum that isn't Diety. Almost every Diety strat is beneficial at lower levels but alot of the lower difficulty LP's/stories employ strategy (or don''t) that doesnt scale into higher difficulties.

4. Ayestes

Ayestes Chieftain

Yoruus, NQ furo, PrimEvalCIV, SBFMadDjinn, ElceePlaysCiv, Moriarte, and Builder Ftw are the one's I'm at least subscribed to. I'm sure there are some other good ones around too.

5. eewallace

eewallace Chieftain

Moriarte has some really good ones but doesn't always explain what he's doing. Marbozir is good about talking about what he's doing, and also he really is good with knowing where to look for information in the menus (something that can be pretty damn confusing even for someone who has been civving for 20 years).

6. SirPepsi

SirPepsi Chieftain

I enjoy LPs by all of the above - Maddjinn, LC, PrimEval, Moriarte are all wonderful strategists in Single Player, and Yoruus is an easy to listen to, informative MP CiVver. Marbozir is improving his videos as well - at first, I thought they were decent, but now they're becoming more and more refined as his strategy improves.

7. Blicero

Blicero Chieftain

When I started the journey to push Diety over, I started with MDj and went back and watched most of his stuff. Can't think of anyone who has contributed more to this community than he has. Which is why I find it sad when people who might be better players, think it's cool to libel him on his own threads. Pretty sad, but I digress.

MDj shows the ropes and also has nice insight into how the game was developed. It's also amusing (if not baffling) to see how he just seems to waltz through diety game after diety game, maybe not with the tightest gameplay, leaving quite a bit of room for error, and never breaks a sweat and ALWAYS comes out the winner. Baffling in that if I make even one mistake I usually end up paying for it on the rear end.

Then I moved to LC for the adult version of how to slap the AI in the face. Not 20 turns of preparation, but an uppercut to the face of a pre T50 triple DoW, making the AI wish they never looked in his general direction. The most entertaining must be he last one where the only way to stop Korea from building the last spaceship part was to nuke the absolute P!$$ out of him, bomb after bomb and eradicate their every last crap city he spammed on one tile islands across the map. Boo-yah.

But now I've grown up a bit and have to say calling my favourite which Moriarte's LPs. Advanced play, lots of explained foresight 20-50 turns in advance with nice smooth subtly witty commentary.

Anyway this thread has turned into a bit of a fanboy party. Good luck, OP, with your training.

8. Casper84

Casper84 Chieftain

For Civ 5 specifically enough has been said, assuming they cover skillful playthroughs as well as entertaining ones. I used to watch TheMeInTeam's vids for Civ 4.
    For strategy games in general I can highly recommend Quill18. Mostly because he's great to listen to, very insightful although not a top player at anything (if he is I apologize straight away ;)). He has done a few Civ 5 let's plays, Crusader Kings, SimCity 2013, Europa Universalis and many more smaller games, occasionally while drunk (but not overly so). :)

9. Soil

Soil ねねね

Yea, Moriarte's videos are very informative and show some good play despite the audio issues. It seems like he's using a deskmic which picks up a lot of noise rather than a decent headset.

MadDjinn seems to be taking a break from BNW so it's good to see more quality Deity LPs. I reckon Moriarte could become way more popular if the sound is improved as he's producing lots of nice playthroughs.

10. Mendonky

Mendonky Chieftain

Can I just confirm I'm right in thinking MP = Multiplayer?

11. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Yes, MD always amazes me some of the games he manages to pull out against the odds.

Fanboying is fine as long as we don't get stalked :eek:

You would be correct :)

12. Nick Carpathia

Nick Carpathia Unleash the HAARP

I've started Yoorus's Japan 7-player FFA, and holy moley is that a godly start. I spot mistakes of his all the time, as well as ways he could have done micro a bit better, but its very solid and he makes some excellent strategic calls. Plus he's a builder and not a natural warmonger, which is similar to my playstyle.