WHoward's Pick 'N' Mix Mods

You may be confusing "rustle" with "buy" ;)

Rustle - "To steal livestock, especially cattle"

It may well be that my English isn't perfect.

What I mean is that even thogh I like the idea of herdsmen and think its a great and original idea it could also easily be exploited (especially since AI players don't know how to use them). An easy (?) way of nerfing the herdsmen would be to make make the "rustle" action cost an amount of gold.

\Skodkim

I understand what you mean, but think about what you are saying.

You want *me* to alter the mod to stop *you* from exploiting it.

Given that the AI cannot perform such an exploit, there is a much, much simpler solution and that is for *you* not to exploit it in the way *you* are proposing - but that's *your* choice.

I have no intention of ever writing mods that "police" the player's actions, if the player is perfectly capable of "self-policing" such actions.

No, I don't "want" you to alter the mod. I was simply making a suggestion as I felt this would improve the mod.

Whether you decide to do it or not is entirely up to you. As I have already stated numerous times I think its already a good and original idea.

\Skodkim

I just downloaded Trade Opp's v16, Enhanced Rankings v5, Enhanced Demos v2, as well as InfoAddict. I was already familiar with IA and TO, from VEM.

I found IA easily enough, and presumably the ER, since I kept getting a pop-up giving me a periodic tally of the standings. But I couldn't find ED and TO. I wouldn't know where ED would be, but assumed the TO would be accessible by clicking on the resource icon, or else be part of the same pull-down window as the rest.

All 3 of yours are "checked." Any idea what I'm doing wrong or missing?

Trade Ops adds two new tabs at the top of the standard "Diplomacy Overview" screen (from the DiploCorner menu), Enhanced Rankings adds Next/Prev buttons to the pop-up and also a "Civilization Rankings" entry on the DiploCorner menu, Enhanced Demographics adds tabs to the top of the "Demographics" screen (also from the DiploCorner menu)

Maybe the herdsman can work like a missionary and disappear on the second time they release the cattle ie. steal 2 horses here & 2 horses there and releasing them all 4 in one of your tiles then go for the sheeps over there and release them on another tile while killing the unit !

Trade Ops adds two new tabs at the top of the standard "Diplomacy Overview" screen (from the DiploCorner menu).

I found it, and have been using it... until it disappeared mid-game. Now I go to the DO screen and see the standard 3 categories: Your Rel, Deal Hist, and Global Pol. Could it be that the onset of Espionage knocks it off?

Could it be that the onset of Espionage knocks it off?
No, as I'm happily playing a G&K game with Spies and Trade Ops - more likely you have a conflict, or the mod got updated mid-game and the system disabled it

No, as I'm happily playing a G&K game with Spies and Trade Ops - more likely you have a conflict, or the mod got updated mid-game and the system disabled it

Good to hear - I'll see what happens next game.

If I have suggestions for more a la carte mods, should I list them here, or PM?

@whoward69

Hi Howard,

First of all thank you for your great work in making all these mods!

I know it's a lot of work, but could you make these mods available for download in the civfanatics site as well?

I'm using a Mac, and while I can get Mods to work just fine with a few well-published tricks, the Mac version does never download mods automatically. (The steam workshop let's me subscribe, it's just that the game does not seem to have the code that downloads them). So I have to manually download them. That's not a big ideal, but I can't seem to find where to download your great mods elsewhere.

So it seems the only way for me to use your mods is to ask you to make them available for download! Thanks!

Edit: While most resellers provide you with a Steam registration, some do not (notably the Apple Store). I'm not sure if there are other such resellers, but also those players are not able to download Steam content, so you may not only make the Mac users happy, but others too.

Is it possible to make the Civilization selection screens actually show the tooltips for UB/UU when hovering over, like they do on the Loading Screen?

Is it possible to make the Civilization selection screens actually show the tooltips for UB/UU when hovering over, like they do on the Loading Screen?

Yes. V2 of "UI - Multiple Unique Bonuses (GK)" already does this. The mod for vanilla would be similiar

whoward69, I beg you. PLEASE place your mods here as well as on Steamworks. I can easily figure out how and where to place my Mods in Civ5.

I tried your GDR (which is great when it was working) from Steam and am not happy with how Steam is. GDR even vanished by itself after an update. And I still haven`t found what happened to it. With other manual Mods I install myself I don`t have this problem and I like keeping a folder of all my Mods so i have control on what is going on.

It would be really appreciated.

Until I can script (via SOAP or some such open protocol) the uploading/updating of mods to this site (all 143 of them currently and slowly increasing), this is NOT going to happen. The current "solution" of "screen-scraping" the poor HTML from the sequence of the upload pages and trying to coerce them to accept faked filled forms is not robust enough.

So you need to direct your pleas to the owners of this site, not me.

Until I can script (via SOAP or some such open protocol) the uploading/updating of mods to this site (all 143 of them currently and slowly increasing), this is NOT going to happen. The current "solution" of "screen-scraping" the poor HTML from the sequence of the upload pages and trying to coerce them to accept faked filled forms is not robust enough.

So you need to direct your pleas to the owners of this site, not me.

But how do other people manage Mods here then? I don`t honestly understand what the problem is.

Well, I guess you`re just not going to do it. A pity since I`m not going back on Steam while it ties my hands and messes around with my system. It`s bad enough having to start Civ 5 with it. So now our freedom in using mods is further restricted to steam just like our playing games is with no Option. Just another reason to like Steam even less.

I`ll do without GDR then.

I don`t honestly understand what the problem is.

And unless you are a Mac user, or have a hacked/cracked copy of the game, I don't understand what your problem with Steam is.

Your sig makes some obscure reference to "offline" users - but you are, by definition, "on-line" to post messages here.

Set Steam into online mode, connect, start CivV, download the mods, exit CivV, go offline, disconnect, restart the game, enable the mods, play. No issues, no problems. It works. I do it all the time.

In regards to this in the OP:-
Notes - Unmoddable game data issue Discussion
Did you try the same code in SQL? I had similar problems with adding/changing stuff in the GameOptions.xml in xml but when trying the same things in SQL they worked.

Edit:
Code:
UPDATE GameOptions SET "Default" = 1 WHERE Type = 'GAMEOPTION_NEW_RANDOM_SEED';

Works for me. Only just seen the date in that post at Firaxis so I gues you probably fixed this now so this is probably pointless :)

And unless you are a Mac user, or have a hacked/cracked copy of the game, I don't understand what your problem with Steam is.

Your sig makes some obscure reference to "offline" users - but you are, by definition, "on-line" to post messages here.

Set Steam into online mode, connect, start CivV, download the mods, exit CivV, go offline, disconnect, restart the game, enable the mods, play. No issues, no problems. It works. I do it all the time.

I first want to say- great mods! I just purchased the game through one of the sales via Steam.
Today however- my saves stopped working. After reading these forums (and your sig) I do believe you have just made Socratatus' point by removing the files from the Steam Workshop. If I didn't have to run this game through Steam (with the mods "checking" EVERY time I start a game)- I'd still be playing. Now- you may accuse Socratatus of being a pirate -or worse- a Mac user, but what now for the rest of us loyal Steam users?

I first want to say- great mods! I just purchased the game through one of the sales via Steam.
Today however- my saves stopped working. After reading these forums (and your sig) I do believe you have just made Socratatus' point by removing the files from the Steam Workshop. If I didn't have to run this game through Steam (with the mods "checking" EVERY time I start a game)- I'd still be playing. Now- you may accuse Socratatus of being a pirate -or worse- a Mac user, but what now for the rest of us loyal Steam users?

Circumstances change. Firaxis truly f***ed up the mod browser in the 1.0.2.12 update and then showed their apathy and distain towards mod users when it took them the best part of a month to release a patch (1.0.2.21) which was supposed to fix the mod browser issues but only made them different.

I've had enough with the c**p I regularly read (and delete and blocked usesr for) in the comment threads on my mods - that my mods won't install, don't work, delete themselves, crash saved games, etc, etc. And some extreamly unpleasant PM's from so called game fans. EVERY single one a Firaxis/Steam problem.

So I am voting with my feet and I have walked away from Steam Workshop forever - it is much, much worse than the GameSpy ModHub ever was (and that's saying something) - the player experience is terrible, confusing and inconsistent; the front-end UI integration is truely abysmal and so poorly coded as to not be able to cope with network outages and disconnects; the tools in ModBuddy are also slow, fail on intermittent connections and are totally unable to gracefully handle errors. Nice idea, 1/10 for effort.

W

That's a shame, I've always liked your mods and have been using them since day 1 of the workshop. I've always found them to be consistently high-quality and never had a single problem with your code or with the steam workshop. I had a really great game going, but I guess that will be broken now. Sadly, even if you bring your mods back online I most certainly will never play with them again, if there's any chance they could be pulled from the workshop and suddenly break my game.

Top Bottom