[GS] Why an unpopular Swedish leader?

We don't know if Kristina was homosexual, and probably never will. My bet is not, considering how she'd rant openly about how she hated women in general. I know some people call her a crossdresser because she liked wearing pants, but that's really stretching it if you ask me.

Whether she actually was intimate with other women or not, whether she saw her clothing as masculine or not, whether she pushed boundaries placed on women by entering into academia, Kristina is an interesting character that some queer people identify with. I'm not looking for a token LGBT+ leader to appease some kind of quota. I think the idea that a certain number of leaders are going to be women is leading to people ganging up on the interesting female leaders in a kind of anti-feminist witch hunt, spurred by some very questionable choices for other civs. Let's see how Kristina translates into mechanics and then pass judgement on if she belongs.

In this case, a leader who was just the name of another cultural group.

And one who lived over 1000 km south and never had any conduct that has any realistic or viable evidence with the Aztecs...

We don't know if Kristina was homosexual, and probably never will. My bet is not, considering how she'd rant openly about how she hated women in general. I know some people call her a crossdresser because she liked wearing pants, but that's really stretching it if you ask me.

We don't know if Richard the Lionhearted and Philippe IV were a lot friendlier than kings just going on Crusade with each other, or whether George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette's joint lodgings on campaign were also a lot more "snug" than was typical of the time, but there are suspicions, by reckonings even evidence (such as Washington and Lafayette akward but obliquely worded letters to each other), but again, we'll never know, along with another of other famous candidates who have had such inclinations in a day-and-age when being openly so was suicide, even for a head-of-state.

We don't know if Richard the Lionhearted and Philippe IV were a lot friendlier than kings just going on Crusade with each other, or whether George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette's joint lodgings on campaign were also a lot more "snug" than was typical of the time, but there are suspicions, by reckonings even evidence (such as Washington and Lafayette akward but obliquely worded letters to each other), but again, we'll never know, along with another of other famous candidates who have had such inclinations in a day-and-age when being openly so was suicide, even for a head-of-state.
Richard the Lionhearted and Philippe IV were almost certainly not in a romantic/sexual relationship with each other. And George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette (to my knowledge) were deemed in more of an adoptive father-adoptive son relationship. A better case for homosexuality on the basis of rumors is that Trajan was in relationships with, among others, the later Roman emperor Hadrian.

We've had several LGBT/bisexual leaders before though (among them Alexander, Frederick the Great, and Oda Nobunaga).

And one who lived over 1000 km south and never had any conduct that has any realistic or viable evidence with the Aztecs...

Also about 1-2K year gap.

Whether she actually was intimate with other women or not, whether she saw her clothing as masculine or not, whether she pushed boundaries placed on women by entering into academia, Kristina is an interesting character that some queer people identify with. I'm not looking for a token LGBT+ leader to appease some kind of quota. I think the idea that a certain number of leaders are going to be women is leading to people ganging up on the interesting female leaders in a kind of anti-feminist witch hunt, spurred by some very questionable choices for other civs. Let's see how Kristina translates into mechanics and then pass judgement on if she belongs.

That's a good point about her being identified as an icon. I don't think we should assume at all that this was a motivation for Firaxis. As I said in an earlier post, as an American from Pennsylvania/Delaware, Kristina is known better to me than the typical Swedish monarch. And Ed has an obsession with the wars of the reformation.

Top Bottom