Why are you atheist?

Why is it inevitable? Because it has always been so until now? Again, that is inductive reasoning.
Why is it certain or even likely that just because something has happened exactly the same for billions of years, it will happen the same tomorrow? Why will the laws of physics extremely likely still be the same tomorrow? How does it follow from the fact that they've always been the same until now? That is what we're asking here. Your intuition is inductive, which is why it says that it's absurd to ask such questions. But the answers are not at all obvious, when you go beyond intuition.

Maybe on some level this isn't intuitive, but if you know enough about physics and how the planets operate, how the solar system operates, then you'll *know* where the sun will be in the sky at 8 in the morning tomorrow.

"Physics will be different" tomorrow is an extraordinary claim and thus requires extraordinary evidence. The laws of physics haven't changed for billions of years - why should they change tomorrow? What evidence do you have that this will happen?

Sorry, just got finished talking and I have more to say-

A metaphor for this entire debate might be a chess game where there is only a white king and a black rook on the board.

The white king is the voice of reason, the black rook is the voice of faith. Those with faith can present all sorts of arguments that can be easily sidestepped because they are based on faith, not fact. The known facts only lead to a conclusion of God if you also factor in faith as well.

Now, the white king can easily sidestep all of those arguments that are not based in reason, because reason defeats non-reason. But at the same time, the white king cannot ever capture the black rook, because the rook can always choose to flee. No matter how much logic or fact you put into the discussion, the "faith dodge" moves the black rook all the way to the other side of the board. Even if you could pin someone down with fact, the obvious escape is "I believe it to be so, because you cannot prove a negative. God might exist." So the rook flees.

And the white king, bound by the rules of logic, cannot say "Well, I can prove a negative. God doesn't exist!" So he can't move to where the black rook is and capture it.

But the two pieces operate with very different rules. Faith justifies itself using circular logic and opinion. It can NEVER defeat reason (the white king) because victory based solely on faith is impossible, there must be reason as well. But unless the black rook ALLOWS itself to be captured by admitting defeat, and accepting reason, the white king cannot ever capture the black rook. So the stalemate continues.

The two pieces are doomed to this nonsense until someone finally says hey... this game is pointless. How about we play with reality for a while, instead of debating the unprovable? The only way this game ends is when the white king (for no reason whatsoever) tips himself over, or the black rook concedes defeat, or the two contenders realize that, with the rules of logic that they have agreed upon, they could stalemate each other for eternity, and they decide to move on to something more productive and satisfying as friends. In the rhetorical sense, the debate cannot be won unless one or both sides concede.

I say there are better and funner games to play than this.

Because in world in which any inductive statement was, is and will be false the conclusion of the inductive statement "induction had been wrong before, and it will be wrong in the future" is true, which is a contradiction.

warpus said:
Maybe on some level this isn't intuitive, but if you know enough about physics and how the planets operate, how the solar system operates, then you'll *know* where the sun will be in the sky at 8 in the morning tomorrow.

"Physics will be different" tomorrow is an extraordinary claim and thus requires extraordinary evidence. The laws of physics haven't changed for billions of years - why should they change tomorrow? What evidence do you have that this

will happen?
What evidence do you have that they won't? That it has not happened before is not good enough until you validate induction with non-circular logic.

Furthermore - when is something "extraordinary"? When it suits you? Give us some criteria - and to go with it, explain why it should matter.

@askthepizzaguy: Brilliant post(s), but a bit beside the point. Most debates here @ cfc are semantic & trivial in nature.
Even the ones that do "matter" (abortion vs. non, etc), rarely result in people changing their pov. But imo it's fun to argue.
For the record, although it may seem that I'm passionate about this debate, I really don't care that much if I convince anyone
to adopt my position. It would be nice, sure, but the sun will continue to rise whether we justify our belief in that or not. :p

askthepizzaguy said:
When we get trapped in such discussions as "how do you KNOW the sun will rise tomorrow?" then we are being distracted by rhetoric. We don't know with absolute certainty, but it is a reasonable assumption because there is nothing stopping the earth from spinning or the sun from shining in the foreseeable future. That's that. Inductive reasoning isn't always conclusive or correct, but sometimes it is a useful shortcut.

Why is the future foreseeable? I agree that induction is useful from a human pov - indeed without it, no meaningful predictions could be made and science would become undoable. The reason I'm asking these questions (and lovett who started it, likely has the same reason - feel free to correct me if that's not the case), is to show that science & reason require some faith to work too, even if intuitively less than religion. And in this case, intuition is deceptive. That something is "useful for human progress" is really quite a biased criteria; it amounts to taking things like induction on faith becase they are needed for further results. There's not anything shameful or wrong in that, imo. Human progress is shiny & quite awesome to have around, even if partly based on technically unproven/irrational things.

As for the God(s) issue, well, to me the problem lies with the traditional narratives: all the holy books (that I've read at least) are rather violent and intolerant in nature, not to mention requiring absolute obedience down to the choice of toothpicks and the color of your Sunday sweater. Depending on the denomination, things may be milder or more harsh; but it is the books themselves that are the root cause of the problems. Most of the New Testament is an exception; it seems to be designed to reign in primitive human nature, while the OT seems to do the opposite. Note that I said most; there's plenty of bad stuff in the NT too. And it too tends to be authoritative, which is something that seems common to all religions: they almost always have rules, not guidelines.

Someone needs to update religion to the 21st century. Make a religion where it says, on trivial enough matters: "these tenets may change in the future, as the human race and its needs change". If I could get a hold of a decent batch of hallucinogens, I'd be willing to do it (for a decent fee ofc). :mischief:

Lonewolf said:
"Because in world in which any inductive statement was, is and will be false the conclusion of the inductive statement "induction had been wrong before, and it will be wrong in the future" is true, which is a contradiction."
If induction is false, no reliable predictions about the future can be made. Your statement is unnecessary; in a world without valid induction, one simply needs to say "right now, induction is not valid". And that is all you can say, because induction is not valid! Note that this is all deductive reasoning (as far as I can tell; I'm not exactly a professor of logic). Also note that in this kind of world, there is nothing that prevents induction from becoming valid in the future, even if it never was before. How it might, well, beats me.

cardgame said:
science works bro.
Indeed it does. Let us hope that it continues to work tomorrow. :goodjob:

Your statement is unnecessary; in a world without valid induction, one simply needs to say "right now, induction is not valid". And that is all you can say, because induction is not valid!

In a word without valid induction, all inductive statements are false, right? Because if some of them were true, induction would be partially valid, correct?

In a word without valid induction, all inductive statements are false, right? Because if some of them were true, induction would be partially valid, correct?
That is correct. Your conclusion may be true in a world without induction, but it does not follow from the premise. If it happens to be true (i.e. induction stays false until the end of time) that is simply a coincidence, and it would've been possible for induction to become valid at some point.

Edit: This is the whole point of the debate (in a different, even more intuitively absurd form): up until now, since the dawn of time, it could've been a cosmic coincidence that all of the Universe has followed natural laws. The planets could disintegrate tomorrow morning; we could become quarks or supernovas while brushing our very teeth or smoking our first cigarette. It hasn't happened in the past (not that I've noticed), sure. What makes you think it won't happen in the future? Intuition? That's inductive! And you rely on it because it has worked for you before. The laws of physics? Do they state anywhere that they cannot change tomorrow? If they do, is the proof inductive in nature? Ladies and gentlemen, witness the power of trivial technicalities! :lol: So it goes.

If it happens to be true (i.e. induction stays false until the end of time) that is simply a coincidence, and it would've been possible for induction to become valid at some point.

Induction doesn't follow from premises and is illogical, sure. But we are discussing the truthfulness of it, not its logic here.

"Until the end of time" is not the only time border for inductive statements.

Or do you think that our world is a world without valid induction? Because then, we have different definitions of validity.

Induction doesn't follow from premises and is illogical, sure. But we are discussing the truthfulness of it, not its logic here.
You haven't really induced anything, have you? It is merely a coincidence that your conclusion happened to be true. This doesn't validate induction as a method. Regarding this sentence: "Because if some [inductive statements] were true, induction would be partially valid, correct?" For an inductive statement to be true, the conclusion must follow from the premise(s). The premise and the conclusion may both separately be true, but if they have no connection, the statement as a whole is not true.

"Until the end of time" is not the only time border for inductive statements.
No, it is not. I don't see the relevance.

Or do you think that our world is a world without valid induction? Because then, we have different definitions of validity.
We cannot know. All "reasonable assumptions" rely on induction or bias from a human pov and so the reasoning is circular in nature. I will happily assume induction to be valid though. My world would be quite insecure without that assumption. :eek:

For an inductive statement to be true, the conclusion must follow from the premise(s).

Then our world is a world where induction is indeed false, because in any inductive statement, the conclusion doesn't follow from the premises.

Induction, so far, at least, had been false, but useful, then. Was Lovett talking about a world where induction is completely not useful?

Lonewolf said:
Then our world is a world where induction is indeed false, because in any inductive statement, the conclusion doesn't follow from the premises.
Fine, we can infer the conclusion, then. You know, induce it. I admit that my knowledge of logic is sketchy at best, and so is my wording at times. :p

Now, let us take an example from a world where induction is valid:

A) Natural laws have been the same for billions of years.

B) Natural laws will be the same tomorrow.

"If A, we can reasonably induce that B". That is the inductive statement. This is all semantics; there may be a better form for it.

Now, in a world where induction is not valid:

A) Induction has always been and is currently false

B) Induction will be false tomorrow

This is still the inductive statement: "If A, we can reasonably induce that B".

But if A, we cannot induce that B! B may still be true by coincidence, but that is neither here nor there. The statement is untrue, plain and simple. I don't see what the problem is.

As for lovett's intentions, well, I'm not sure. I hope he comes back soon since I tend to be rather ham-fisted in my arguments, what with having taken one course in philosophy in High School and barely reading it since. :confused:

However I dare say this: clearly inductive statements are not always true. Why should we rely on them in some cases, if not in others? Wiki talks about weak and strong induction; I suspect things may get even more confusing if we take that into account.

Inductive statements are always false from the logical point of view. If by "valid" we mean "logically valid", then our world is certainly a world where induction is not true.

The conclusions of some inductive statements are true in our world, and that's what I meant when I said that the truth of induction is not a y/n switch.

"If A, we can reasonably induce that B". That is the inductive statement. This is all semantics; there may be a better form for it.

No, only from the virtue of A, logically we can't induce that B.

Inductive statements are always false from the logical point of view. If by "valid" we mean "logically valid", then our world is certainly a world where induction is not true.
What do you mean by valid then? :crazyeye: I thought that the whole point of this debate was that we cannot justify induction by deductive logic, only by itself (circular logic) and by human bias (i.e. it's useful to rely on induction).

No, only from the virtue of A, logically we can't induce that B.
...That was kind of the point. Again, what is your definition of "valid" in this context? :confused:

Edit: We can and do induce it. That's where induction gets its name from, if I'm correct. The question is: should we? We cannot deduce it, that's for sure.

I thought that the whole point of this debate was that we cannot justify induction by deductive logic, only by itself (circular logic) and by human bias (i.e. it's useful to rely on induction).

I agree with that statement! The point of the debate to examine the difference between induction and God.

Again, what is your definition of "valid" in this context?

Giving correct results. In our world, there are many cases of induction giving correct results, therefore, induction is partially "valid" by that definition.

I can't help but notice that the mathematics of probability and statistics comes here somewhere. I am not 100% sure the sun will rise tomorrow, but just 99,999......% sure. Since probablility is mathematical (100% deductive), maybe on that way we'll find some rationalization of our statements.

Pragmatism has a role, too. If a year ago I forsook all inductive reasoning, I'd starve. Induction is like a habit in that respect. We assume that induction will be valid in the future for the lack of better opportunities.

I agree with that statement! The point of the debate is to examine the difference between induction and God.
Well then: if it is useful to believe in God, as it is to believe in inductive statements, why should we not? If the utility of believing in God exceeds the utility of non-believing, why should we not choose to believe in God? Now, this isn't true for all people; but for the ones that it is, isn't it a pragmatic choice to believe in God?

Giving correct results. In our world, there are many cases of induction giving correct results, therefore, induction is partially "valid" by that definition.
Valid from a human pov, yes, I agree.

I can't help but notice that the mathematics of probability and statistics comes here somewhere. I am not 100% sure the sun will rise tomorrow, but just 99,999......% sure.
As am I. However, I have used induction to get to that conclusion, and that I take on faith based on prior events. (...Which is itself inductive. You really can't escape from this beast, can you? :lol:)

Pragmatism has a role, too. If a year ago I forsook all inductive reasoning, I'd starve. Induction is like a habit in that respect.
Well put. I would say that it is reasonable to believe in certain things, even without definitive evidence. I believe lovett would agree when I ask "Why not believe in God then, if it seems reasonable?". Perhaps this can be the next question, and we'll finally move out of this mire: "Why is it reasonable/useful to believe in God?". There is already a thread for that, though. :p

As am I. However, I have used induction to get to that conclusion,

Probability is a non-inductive concept.

I don admit, though, that I can't express my thoughts clearly here.

Probability is a non-inductive concept.

I don admit, though, that I can't express my thoughts clearly here.
Whence come probabilities? From assuming that some things will happen as they always (or for some time) have. If I flip a coin, that the odds of either heads or tails are 50%, is induced from former experiences/statistics in the physical world. Mathematically you are ofc correct.

Anway, what do you think of this can of worms?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abductive_reasoning

I especially like the quote from Mr. Peirce near the middle: [Peirce came to describe the process of science as a combination of abduction, deduction and induction, stressing that new knowledge is only created by abduction.]

"Now, that the matter of no new truth can come from induction or from deduction, we have seen. It can only come from abduction; and abduction is, after all, nothing but guessing. We are therefore bound to hope that, although the possible explanations of our facts may be strictly innumerable, yet our mind will be able, in some finite number of guesses, to guess the sole true explanation of them. That we are bound to assume, independently of any evidence that it is true. Animated by that hope, we are to proceed to the construction of a hypothesis." :nuke: :cool: :D

If I flip a coin, that the odds of either heads or tails are 50%, is induced from former experiences/statistics in the physical world.

Not sure here. Few of us ever did massive experiments with coins.

Not sure here. Few of us ever did massive experiments with coins.
But if no one would ever have flipped a coin and made statistics, we wouldn't have physical proof that the chances are 50/50 in this Universe. Mathematical we would have. The natural laws could change tomorrow, such that the chances would be 90/10, or some other non-50/50 numbers. I cannot fathom what change would cause such a phenomenon; perhaps it can be proven that it is impossible, but I doubt we have such brains in our midst here. :)

It is very well possible that I'm ignoring something obvious about the relation between physics and math here. It's been ages since I was in the University, and even then, we never had debates like this. And I was never very good at math (which is why I'm not in Uni anymore). :p

What evidence do you have that they won't? That it has not happened before is not good enough until you validate induction with non-circular logic.

I have given you an explanation, and hey, look, the sun went up today AGAIN - i win.

Furthermore - when is something "extraordinary"? When it suits you? Give us some criteria - and to go with it, explain why it should matter.

You very well know that it is context dependent.

"I poo gold" - extraordinary claim, requires extraordinary proof
"I poo poo" - ordinary claim, requires no proof

It matters because if people could poop gold capitalism would collapse.

Oh this is ridiculous. I want to participate in this thread so badly but because of time constraints I am totally unable to. Never mind, when the time is right I shall be back.

Top Bottom