1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Can't People in MP Play anything but Dom?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Multiplayer' started by AmtrakQuebec, Dec 28, 2016.

1. CPL_Yoshi

CPL_Yoshi Chieftain

@AmtrakQuebec To further explain for @CanuckSoldier, We do recommend that our players enable push to talk, and our ranked channels are push-to-talk only. I understand that you may not like discord, but it provides us with a good place to include multiple channels for multiple games to go on at once. It also gives us a place to have everything in one singular application. Our rules, news, introduction, etc. are all readily available in one place.

But since you are already a member, if you do have any suggestions in improving the quality of our community, please don't hesitate to let me or any other Admin/Moderator know!

2. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

When you're leading your opponent in domination, it's a wise strategy to take them down. Even 5T faster on Dom can make an absolute different game. If you're 5T slower in Stirrup, you possibly lose half of your cities instantly while leaving the remaining half cannot defend for yourself.

3. morikahn

morikahn Chieftain

Couple reason's why I think Domination victories dominate the game:

Map Size
    Too many people too close together on too small of a map.

Like other posters have said here, this exacerbates the situation when one person is a little ahead of an adjacent player on military tech. They can quickly attack and the loss of a city or two ends the defender's game. Also, they do not have to worry too much about over-extending their forces. Its only a couple turns back to their home territory.

On a larger map, with much more space between civilizations, a war of aggression could leave you defenseless against another player. Obviously, in team games this wouldn't matter.

Culture, Religion, and Science victories

They are 'end game' objectives while you can win a Domination victory at any time.

The game developers should have altered how these mechanics work in multiplayer to make them achievable at any age. Currently, to achieve a religious, science, or cultural victory requires a really long game of people doing very little but managing their own civs.

Possible solution
    1. Culture: each relic, writing, music, or art piece is worth 1 tourist point. First person to a set amount, say 10, wins (alterable is game settings). Spies stealing art pieces would be a big deal then. I'd also make having a natural or man-made wonder in your territory count as a tourist point.
    2. Science: each age could have a scientific victory condition. If a civ is able to complete this scientific victory before any other civilization reaches the next scientific age.. they win.
    3. Religion: great prophets aren't expended when they create a religion. They need to be kept alive to keep the religion alive. Be the last person with a great prophet and you win. Could add a spy 'assassination' mission. This victory condition becomes invalid after someone enters the Industrial Era. This would put an interesting twist on the player that never established a religion... he or she would have to try to keep OTHER player's great prophets alive.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    anandus, Uberfrog and AmtrakQuebec like this.
  4. GunslingerCiv

GunslingerCiv Chieftain

We have a ranked ladder, with the best players in the world currently competing everyday vs one another. Premier games amoung top ranked players is happening, and you're likely to see 2-3 a week. We had a game the other night go to a science victory with the top two turns away from one another to do it. Nail biting.

www.discord.gg/uBEpu3u

5. King Lewie XIV

King Lewie XIV Chieftain

I'm in the CivPlayers league on Discord. I recently played an ALL Peace game and it was fun. I'd like to play more of these types of games. I'd say come back on the Discord and call for the kind of games u want. I have done this for duels and have found many duels. Another player likes Teamers and he has been requesting them for awhile now. Now there are more teamers.

6. viper_1986_1986

viper_1986_1986 Chieftain

This is what i have always seen, people always went for dom in civ3, civ4, and civ5, Never bothered to play public games of civ6 yet.
    But even back in civ3 i was able to win with culture or other types. The big thing is you STILL have to go military to a degree. Being the defender gives you a HUGE advantage, as long as you know where the attacks will be coming from.

As i said i can't speak for public players, but in my circle, when i am trying to win space, i still go 1/2 army 1/2 sci. I still build encampments, walls, and LOTS of ranged units to defend. Just be ready to move units around and get your D up! This was actually wayyy easier on civ3 since railroads were 0 movement cost, but aerodomes make it pretty do-able in civ6 as well. A few forts also can help, or even defensive nukes. Seems to have worked in the few dozen or so games i have played. We generally play with AI on a mixture of diety and immortal. Human players on diety.