Why do people say "Diety"?

I type "alot" alot. It's an idiosyncrasy of my particular style and I'm aware it's not proper. I also use "goto" because it amuses me from my days of BASIC programming. There are probably more of which I'm not aware. Conversely, I particularly abhor sentences which end in prepositions, unless it's a colloquialism, as "shoo in" or "winds up". (That's just up the way it winds.) I get a little triggered when people use "s" to pluralize words which are already plural, as "gear" in the context of equipment, or "evidence", and that's probably anal. Everyone has quirks like this, and it's a large part of the method professors use to calibrate authenticity of essays.

'Wallah' means 'I swear' in Arabic, and is part of 'street language', so to say. I have never heard anyone use it to replace 'voila' with... That would just be odd.
This I've heard many times, but never as "voila". Could it be that people use it as Arabic and the poster has misunderstood?

This I've heard many times, but never as "voila". Could it be that people use it as Arabic and the poster has misunderstood?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/voilà

Some literal translations carry over very oddly from Arabic, though. I had a friend years ago who would say, "Ha ha ha, SOAP bubble", and I was like wtf. Apparently there's a slang term in some dialect, as to say, "you don't know what you're talking about", or "what you said is really stupid", but it literally translates to "soap bubble".

Last edited:
I don't get why you provided that link here. I know what the French word "voilà" means, just that I've never seen anyone use it written as "wallah". What did I miss?

Oh, people who don't know it's spelled "voila" for the french interjection often move to spell it phonetically.

Yea I've seen it plenty, or the other horrible mangling of it, "viola". And that was before iphones so I can't blame auto-correct for it haha

Online games have the problem with rogue. For some reason it's often written rouge which gets off topic on how the person likes playing the color red... On topic, I like playing slim games. ;)

Oh, and while we're on this subject, people who constantly pronounce V as W, e.g. saying "willage". Dude, that's annoying. I'm not a native English speaker myself, but it's such an easy thing to implement.

I always thought people used "diety" intentionally, not referring to diet, but to die, because back in the good old days this used to be the difficulty where you could expect to die a quick death. Unfortunately that description would not be accurate for Civ VI. On the other hand, emporer is probably not intentional, so maybe diety also has often been a spelling mistake. I don't mind those very much, but seriously, why do people write "should of"???

I get a little triggered when people use "s" to pluralize words which are already plural, as "gear" in the context of equipment, or "evidence", and that's probably anal.
Slightly related, I hate when people use "anal" when referring to someone neat and organized. The term is actually "anal retentive" and the opposite is "anal expulsive." So, technically, everyone is "anal," but some people are "retentive" while others are "expulsive."

Oh, and while we're on this subject, people who constantly pronounce V as W, e.g. saying "willage". Dude, that's annoying. I'm not a native English speaker myself, but it's such an easy thing to implement.

Sure, it's easy. That is, if you grew up speaking a language that has separate sounds for 'v' and 'w'. If you grew up speaking many eastern European languages, then those sounds might be difficult for you to make. It's no different than watching English speakers pronounce the Japanese 'r', or watching pretty much anyone try to pronounce something in Welsh or Icelandic.

Also, ending an English sentence with a preposition is totally OK. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/grammar/ending-sentences-with-prepositions

Slightly related, I hate when people use "anal" when referring to someone neat and organized. The term is actually "anal retentive" and the opposite is "anal expulsive." So, technically, everyone is "anal," but some people are "retentive" while others are "expulsive."

" b : of, relating to, characterized by, or being personality traits (as parsimony, meticulousness, and ill humor) considered typical of fixation at the anal stage of development <an anal disposition> <anal neatness>"
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anal

Of course, there is also anal retentiveness, and it's arguable that simply saying, "I am being anal", is short-form. Still, it's accepted usage, so much so that it's in the dictionary. While people may all have some manner of anal traits, not every action or behavior is characterized as anal.

Last edited:
That is, if you grew up speaking a language that has separate sounds for 'v' and 'w'.
This is a good point. For the life of me, I hear no or only a very slight difference between the many S, T, and D sounds of Arabic.

Top Bottom