why don't the developers give a *******?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're slowly transitioning into a Star Trek thread so Imma just hoist it back on topic

It seems to be the developers do care, but they have a wavering grasp on the inner complexities of their game.

Some abilities are thoughtfully designed and cleverly take into account the needs of a player in game and know what resources they should and shouldn't be giving away like candy.

Others are Gran Columbia.

Y'know, it's kind of funny watching the first look videos back to back. The way they're written they all have to make each ability seem impactful and equal, and can lead to the announcer pretending that France is just as good as Gran Columbia. Watching the India first looks is particularly painful as they try to spice up a Stepwell to make it seem fantastic. Plus, they seem to have an utter misunderstanding of how important/good unique units are and think that +1 Combat Strength for a single unit is enough to leverage a Domination Victory.

It's kind of weird watching them simultaneously design things cleverly and fairly and also trying to ignore the numerous overpowered elephants in the room as they struggle to act like all Civs are equal rather than just saying "Okay yeah maybe Tamar kinda sucks."

We're slowly transitioning into a Star Trek thread so Imma just hoist it back on topic

It seems to be the developers do care, but they have a wavering grasp on the inner complexities of their game.

Some abilities are thoughtfully designed and cleverly take into account the needs of a player in game and know what resources they should and shouldn't be giving away like candy.

Others are Gran Columbia.

Y'know, it's kind of funny watching the first look videos back to back. The way they're written they all have to make each ability seem impactful and equal, and can lead to the announcer pretending that France is just as good as Gran Columbia. Watching the India first looks is particularly painful as they try to spice up a Stepwell to make it seem fantastic. Plus, they seem to have an utter misunderstanding of how important/good unique units are and think that +1 Combat Strength for a single unit is enough to leverage a Domination Victory.

It's kind of weird watching them simultaneously design things cleverly and fairly and also trying to ignore the numerous overpowered elephants in the room as they struggle to act like all Civs are equal rather than just saying "Okay yeah maybe Tamar kinda sucks."

Tamar does not suck. Double envoys is huge. Adding in dilpo victory and the monarchy buff catapults Georgia into the top three picks for a diplomatic game. (The others being Mali and Sweden)

Tamar does not suck. Double envoys is huge. Adding in dilpo victory and the monarchy buff catapults Georgia into the top three picks for a diplomatic game. (The others being Mali and Sweden)

Well, fair enough- it was just my go-to example for a bad civ. I haven't given them a fair shot, though, so I'll have to try them out sometime.

Just replace Tamar with a different civ you consider bad- that wasn't meant to be a personal jab

I've never understood why some people are so manic about threads sticking narrowly to topics--especially in essentially topicless threads like this (announcement/update type threads are more understandable). That's not how human communication works. That's also probably why forums are dying and platforms like Discord are growing.

I come here for civ 6 talk, so I like seeing posts related to the game. Occasional off topic is fine, but when I see a new post made on a topic like this I want to read about civ 6.

I think the C&M Mode is quite a good Mode considering it's just a DLC and the tight NFP Timeframe. And when it gets the Tourism Bug Fixed, it will be much better to play with. And even if it just makes use of existing Mechanisms, it's a great Mode and especially beneficial for Late-Game.
Otherwise, a really good Industries/Coroprations/Monopolies System would require a larger DLC just for this mechanism (or even an Expansion) to make it interact with other Mechanisms (Like GPP, Technologies...etc), and perhaps with a World-Market for the resources ( requires a resources overhaul to make Luxury/Bonus resources stockable).

My problems with the mode are this. 1)In the announcement video they said "more economic gameplay" and I think the mode barely interacts with the game's economic systems. The tourism bonus definitely hurts in this regard as well. Honestly if the tourism modifiers were never part of the game mode I would actually have less problems with the mode overall. 2)This, or something similar, was a highly anticipated feature so making it a kind of thin game mode seems like a mistake and should have been part of a full DLC. Lots of people on the forum were hoping for some kind of economic victory so I think Firaxis definitely failed to meet those expectations but again, lack of communication doesn't help in properly setting up what kind of stuff the fanbase should have expected from the mode. 3)Having played with the mode only twice I didn't not find it fun to play with. There is a lot to remember, which city has which industry/corp and what are it's effect, and the game offers almost no help with this. The bonuses for industries and corporations are also kind of weak I only noticed the effect from on Truffles Industry in capital because I had so many gold producing tiles. Products came way to late in the game. I only played two games with the mode and only made like two products in one of those games because by that point I was focusing on my science win, which I didn't get because of the broken tourism modifies.

It's not a bad mode per se but I feel like the tourism modifiers are misplaced and the expectations from the fanbase were too high for what Firaxis wanted to do with the mode and should have called it something else so avoid the disappointment.

Moderator Action: Thread closed, it's veering offtopic and OP is troll bait. Opinions are welcome, but "everything about X is terrible" threads do not encourage productive discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom