Why have the Boers never made it into a Civ game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you prefer South Africa over the Boers? The Boers are a much more culturally cohesive unit.
I'm just not that personally invested in having a civ in Africa based around European colonists. I at least think South Africa could at least be a compromise.

Apparently the UsefulCharts Youtuber is Canadian, but I could never tell from his accent.
Since you refuse to move beyond, "accent," as your only real plank in this argument, which, as I've point, is a losing one, especially by itself, I will consider you to have lost this argument and move on.

I'm just not that personally invested in having a civ in Africa based around European colonists. I at least think South Africa could at least be a compromise.
Well, South Africa has had both Boer and Zulu leaders (though the two of the latter are still alive, and one is incumbent, and I THINK De Klerk, the last Boer leader of South Africa, at least, is still alive, too).

@Uncle Paul

This is a gaming forum with a rather significant modding component.
Why don't you just make a Boer civ? For whatever iteration of civ you want*, and upload it for people to use in their own mods and scenarios if they so wish? You're free to actively promote Boer culture as much as you want and see what reception it actually gets instead of just complaining that nobody's doing it for you.

*obviously civ3 is best

:twitch: Don't go there, Patine. Don't test me.

:twitch: Don't go there, Patine. Don't test me.
I don't understand the hostility over such a simple, and ultimately, light-hearted, statement, but it's probably due to issues of your own, and not my making, and I will not engage in arguments that don't exist. Have a good evening!

Thanks to Cleopatra, we already do have one African civ led by someone of European descent! The weirdly specific niche is filled!

I don't understand the hostility over such a simple, and ultimately, light-hearted, statement, but it's probably due to issues of your own, and not my making, and I will not engage in arguments that don't exist. Have a good evening!
Please don't misunderstand me, Patine. It's just that political threads with Uncle Paul's involvement tend to go wildly off-topic and I simply want to stick to the topic, in which the most relevant question is why one of the few Boers who play such a moddable series of games as civ (the only one on CFC as far as I know) don't just make the Boer civilization as an add-on for free download, rather than how wrong you are about civ3 and civ2. ;)

Please don't misunderstand me, Patine. It's just that political threads with Uncle Paul's involvement tend to go wildly off-topic and I simply want to stick to the topic, in which the most relevant question is why one of the few Boers who play such a moddable series of games as civ (the only one on CFC as far as I know) don't just make the Boer civilization as an add-on for free download, rather than how wrong you are about civ3 and civ2. ;)
Well, then let actions speak louder than words. Not my work or creation, but a scenario for Civ2. ;)

Attachments

• boerwar.rar
    771.8 KB · Views: 4
If Afroamericans count as American, then Boers count as African...Western civilization in Africa is the most interesting thing about Africa. Would you rather have some tribal civ that lived in huts or the Boers?
Since you refuse to move beyond, "accent," as your only real plank in this argument, which, as I've point, is a losing one, especially by itself, I will consider you to have lost this argument and move on.
OK then.
Well, South Africa has had both Boer and Zulu leaders (though the two of the latter are still alive, and one is incumbent, and I THINK De Klerk, the last Boer leader of South Africa, at least, is still alive, too).
De Klerk died last year. A controversial leader, but things could have gone a lot worse in the 90s without him and Mandela.
@Uncle Paul

This is a gaming forum with a rather significant modding component.
Why don't you just make a Boer civ? For whatever iteration of civ you want*, and upload it for people to use in their own mods and scenarios if they so wish? You're free to actively promote Boer culture as much as you want and see what reception it actually gets instead of just complaining that nobody's doing it for you.

*obviously civ3 is best
I can't mod

I can't mod
Well, then, learn! It's really not so much difficult as it is tedious.

Also, you could just ask people to help you along with it.

Well, then, learn! It's really not so much difficult as it is tedious.

Also, you could just ask people to help you along with it.
Still, it would send a positive signal to Boers to be included officially in Civ. Also, it's really hard to make a Firaxis-quality 3D voiced leaderhead.

Still, it would send a positive signal to Boers to be included officially in Civ. Also, it's really hard to make a Firaxis-quality 3D voiced leaderhead.
You're likely the only one in this whole conversation with anywhere near the right, "accent," - since you seem so hung up on accents. :p

Loook, this is a series of videogames made for profit. If you want to sell the videogame you have to sell it to majorities and Boers and their fans are a niche constituency. If it's about popularity there will always be better choices, like the Maya, Egypt, Persia, etc.

As I said, if you want to help popularise the culture then you have to do it yourself.

And, really, civ games aren't that hard to mod if you're driven enough.

Loook, this is a series of videogames made for profit. If you want to sell the videogame you have to sell it to majorities and Boers and their fans are a niche constituency. If it's about popularity there will always be better choices, like the Maya, Egypt, Persia, etc.

As I said, if you want to help popularise the culture then you have to do it yourself.

And, really, civ games aren't that hard to mod if you're driven enough.
Unpopular civs have made it in before...Shoshone, Hittites, Mapuche.

Would you rather have some tribal civ that lived in huts or the Boers?
Probably some tribal civ that lived in huts like the Zulu. Or the non tribal civs in Africa that didn't live in huts like Mali, Ethiopia, Egypt etc. :p

Western civilization in Africa is the most interesting thing about Africa.
Just a random example from the Sub-Saharan civs that are already in the game:

Ethiopia is one of the first Christian states in the world, made their own unique language script, managed to survive on their own despite being isolated by the Muslim caliphates and managed to avoid being colonized during the scramble for Africa. This is a 100x more interesting then the Boers imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom