Why have the Boers never made it into a Civ game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably some tribal civ that lived in huts like the Zulu. Or the non tribal civs in Africa that didn't live in huts like Mali, Ethiopia, Egypt etc. :p
Why?
Just a random example from the Sub-Saharan civs that are already in the game:

Ethiopia is one of the first Christian states in the world, made their own unique language script, managed to survive on their own despite being isolated by the Muslim caliphates and managed to avoid being colonized during the scramble for Africa. This is a 100x more interesting then the Boers imo.
The Boers are a devoutly Christian people, with a unique language that is the best of all Indo-European langauges, managed to survive despite being isolated by local tribes, and managed to defeat the British in 1881. Ethiopia was colonized, by Italy in the 30s.
Civ 3 scenarios don't work on my computer. Instead of "of the" it says "him", i.e. "Kruger him Boers". The prepackaged Conquests scenarios don't have this problem.

The Boers are a devoutly Christian people, with a unique language that is the best of all Indo-European langauges, managed to survive despite being isolated by local tribes, and managed to defeat the British in 1881. Ethiopia was colonized, by Italy in the 30s.
And yet they remain incapable of makign a simple civ mod…
Uncle Paul said:
Civ 3 scenarios don't work on my computer. Instead of "of the" it says "him", i.e. "Kruger him Boers". The prepackaged Conquests scenarios don't have this problem.
Well, you can just head over to the civ3 forums and try to get your mods working.

managed to survive despite being isolated by local tribes, and managed to defeat the British in 1881. Ethiopia was colonized, by Italy in the 30s.
Beating an enemy with a technological advantage is less impressive then beating an enemy with a technological disadvantage.

Also the Boers got beat by the British in the end too.
The Boers are a devoutly Christian people
So? Lots of people were devout Christians. Ethiopia being one of the first (they were either the first or second after Armenia) Christian state makes them extra special.

with a unique language that is the best of all Indo-European langauges
It is not very unique. It is a daughter language of Dutch. The Geʽez script on the other hand is completely unique...

Attachments

• writingsystemsoftheworld.png
    writingsystemsoftheworld.png
    460.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Beating an enemy with a technological advantage is less impressive then beating an enemy with worse technology.

So? Lots of people were devout Christians. Ethiopia being one of the first (they were either the first or second after Armenia) Christian state makes them extra special.

It is not very unique. It is a daughter language of Dutch. The Geʽez script on the other hand is completely unique...
Why doesn't this map have the Cree script? I see it all over Downtown Edmonton, in various agencies and NGO's I work with as a social worker. Why is it not there?

And yet they remain incapable of makign a simple civ mod…
How many independent republics in Africa have your ancestors created?
Well, you can just head over to the civ3 forums and try to get your mods working.
I very well might...
Beating an enemy with a technological advantage is less impressive then beating an enemy with a technological disadvantage.
The Brits had a manpower advantage over the Boers, and a slight weaponry advantage. The Boers had an advantage of a brave character, devoutness, and love for their land.
Soon the enemy learned of our weakness
For home, and children, and wives
So in time, we had to surrender
To spare our families their lives
And they know if they didn’t capture
The ones we hold dearest, that we
We, the rag tag army
Would have driven them into the sea
John Edmond
And right now, Armenia is being attacked by the genocidal armies of the Turk in Azerbaijan. And you wonder why I have a negative view of Islam...
But it improves upon Dutch, with a more logical spelling, and by getting rid of unnecessary grammatical complexity that serves no purpose other than confusion. It also has a more pleasing sound to it, and it looks more aesthetic when written.
Why doesn't this map have the Cree script? I see it all over Downtown Edmonton, in various agencies and NGO's I work with as a social worker. Why is it not there?
Canada has really moved away from being a Western/Anglo country, huh?
Mansa Musa was probably the richest person in the world.
Let's have an Elon Musk civ, then.
Ethiopia was one of the few African regions that were never colonized.
Not entirely true, see below.
Also do I really have to even explain Egypt?
Yes, and its ethnically Greek leader, Cleopatra, who looked like this

And not like this

Briefly occupied, not colonized.
The Boers were occupied from 1902-1910, at which point, South Africa became a dominion with a Boer prime minister. At least Boers actually had functional governments prior to the colonial era. Ethiopia was an Italian colony for 5+ years, and would still be Italian today if not for WWII getting in the way.

Since I had no ancestors I am aware of permanently resident in Africa, personally, this is a very weighted question.
Canada has really moved away from being a Western/Anglo country, huh?
What is this statement supposed to mean, oh ye of a nation of 10 official languages?
The Boers were occupied from 1902-1910, at which point, South Africa became a dominion with a Boer prime minister. At least Boers actually had functional governments prior to the colonial era. Ethiopia was an Italian colony for 5+ years, and would still be Italian today if not for WWII getting in the way.
You are conflating colonization and military occupation, which are not the same thing, at all, necessarily.

Since I had no ancestors I am aware of permanently resident in Africa, personally, this is a very weighted question.
OK.
What is this statement supposed to mean, oh ye of a nation of 10 official languages?
At least in South Africa, the non-Western languages that became official are spoken by large chunks of the population.
Linguistically assimilating the numerically dominant Bantu-speakers was never really feasible, whereas in North America, linguistically assimilating the (very small in number) native tribes would have been successful if you guys had stuck with it.
You are conflating colonization and military occupation, which are not the same thing, at all, necessarily.
Italian East Africa was a colonial venture.

Yes, and its ethnically Greek leader, Cleopatra, who looked like this
I'm talking about Egypt in general, not just Cleopatra.
Ethiopia had a functional government in the Middle Ages for hundreds of years.

Western civilization in Africa is the most interesting thing about Africa. Would you rather have some tribal civ that lived in huts or the Boers?
I'm impressed how racist you can be.
I like to play with tribal civs as the Zulu. And I think they deserve more the spot of South Africa civ then the Boers.
Ethiopia was colonized, by Italy in the 30s.
This Italian invasion of Ethiopia happens in the second world war because a world war conflict, call that a colonization should be the same to say Poland was colonized by Nazi-German.

I like to play with tribal civs as the Zulu. And I think they deserve more the spot of South Africa civ then the Boers.
I do have to point out that the Zulu being a recurring staple is probably one of the reasons why we haven't had any other civ appear from the southern tip of Africa, which I'm personally fine with.
I think if there was another civ to appear from the region I think they would do South Africa, like I said earlier as a compromise, over the European descent Boers or another similar tribal group like the Xhosa.

I do have to point out that the Zulu being a recurring staple is probably one of the reasons why we haven't had any other civ appear from the southern tip of Africa, which I'm personally fine with.
I think if there was another civ to appear from the region I think they would do South Africa, like I said earlier as a compromise, over the European descent Boers or another similar tribal group like the Xhosa.
I like the Zulu being in this over and over again since civ 1, it's kind of respect to them. I guess just Gengis Khan, Gandhi and Alexander was also in all games.

I can't figure out a good leader to Xhosa people. But I would like the Republic of South Africa as a civ if it be lead by Nelson Mandela.
Botswana and Zimbabwe are other good options of south Africa.

I can't figure out a good leader to Xhosa people. But I would like the Republic of South Africa as a civ if it be lead by Nelson Mandela.
Wasn't Nelson Mandela part of the Xhosa people? He also spoke Afrikaans as well. I think that could work alongside the Zulu.
Botswana and Zimbabwe are other good options of south Africa.
Do you mean the Medieval Kingdom of Zimbabwe or the present-day country?

Wasn't Nelson Mandela part of the Xhosa people?
I don't know too.

Do you mean the Medieval Kingdom of Zimbabwe or the present-day country?
I think for Zimbabwe is better the medieval kingdom, because modern Zimbabwe just have Mugabe as a optional leader and he is so controversial and recent.
The medieval kingdom who build the Great Zimbabwe. But I also don't know a good leader to they.

In my opinion, Gandhi can (and should) be retired.
True. A civ with war elephants as its iconic unit should have Chandragupta or Akbar or even Porus as its leader, to name three from among a few dozen.
And that is relevant to whether you can make a mod how…? Not that I have the dishonour of apartheid on my conscience or inheritage at any rate, at least. Do you even know who I am or what my history is?
I could also ask you how many independent republics in Africa have your ancestors lost.
If you're going to claim that you're better than anybody else then start by proving it instead of trying to trash-talk everybody else. If you want to be respected, you should start by treating others with respect instead of saying that you're superior and we servants should make you a mod.
I very well might...
By all means do so and we might be able to help you. But be respectful.

True. A civ with war elephants as its iconic unit should have Chandragupta or Akbar or even Porus as its leader, to name three from among a few dozen.
Gandhi is iconic to Civ, he won't be retired.
And that is relevant to whether you can make a mod how…? Not that I have the dishonour of apartheid on my conscience or inheritage at any rate, at least. Do you even know who I am or what my history is?
I already said that apartheid had its flaws and was unsustainable in the long run. Amin, Mugabe, Castro...all were a hundred times worse than apartheid.
I could also ask you how many independent republics in Africa have your ancestors lost.
*Had wrongfully ripped away, not "lost"
If you're going to claim that you're better than anybody else then start by proving it instead of trying to trash-talk everybody else. If you want to be respected, you should start by treating others with respect instead of saying that you're superior and we servants should make you a mod.
I never said that you were servants or that you should make me a mod...I said that Firaxis should make the Boers an official civ in Civ 7.
By all means do so and we might be able to help you. But be respectful.
I have been pretty respectful, all things considered

*Had wrongfully ripped away, not "lost"
It's interesting that the Boer republics were wrongfully ripped away, but the conquest of those areas by the Boers to found their republics wasn't wrongfully ripping anything away. It seems telling that it's always the Boers who are entitled to autonomy and not the people they fought.

Last edited:
It's interesting that the Boer republics were wrongfully ripped away, but the conquest of those areas by the Boers to found their republics wasn't wrongfully ripping anything away. It seems telling that it's always the Boers who are entitled to autonomy and not the people they fought.
Because a modern (at the time) republic is worthy, some tribal villages aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom