Why I am getting bored with this game....

Try valks economy mod in the ingame browser, you wont look back.

Absolutely... I'd go as far as to suggest everyone just downloads that mod as standard, the game gets 100% better all round. More fun, better pacing, faster build times, more useful tile improvements - it just feels more like the game is supposed to be played (dare I say, it feels more like Civ IV... :p)

So you're trying to make a point about realism in a thread unrelated.
Statement of the year :woohoo: :lol:

Well, this is just one example of a unit vs tech mishap, there are more, noted in another topic. But anyway, these "realism" issue's as you speak of, didn't occur in other CIV's. So, being spoiled by the accuracy of the other CIV's on this matter;
YES: that's another reason why CIV 5 bores me. The more i play, the more it comes painfully obvious that CIV 5 is more like a very rough diamond then a polished one.

Chariot archers for example; you can build then before you every developed ARCHERY-tech.

So you're trying to make a point about realism in a thread unrelated. :rolleyes:

It's not about realism, it's about logic. If you need archery for archers, you also must need archery for archers who happened to be in chariots.

Exactly this.

I really cannot stand this bull**** argument of "gameplay over realism" anymore.

Civ uses reflections of reality to make the game more appealing. Well, previous versions did.
And I think the chariotarcher is a very good example of how you can mess it up.
Likewise, it seems to be questionable to have chariots prior to horsemen.
Likewise, having the German Landsknecht (Renaissance) prior to the Knight (Middle Ages)

A good example is producing an Infantry unit without having Rifling as a tech. But you do have replaceable parts.

Well, atleast you can have "parts" of a rifle. Dunno how effective they will be :lol:

From one of the devs:
"My favorite thing about the new graphics engine is how the mountains flow naturally over many hexes. I love that a huge mountain range actually looks like natural mountains! Similarly, I love how some of the improvements (mainly farms) flow from one tile to the next, as if it's all part of the same farmland."
Ow, at least i can watch to a perfectly "blended Mountain into the landscape". I begin to understand why the game plays like it does right now :p

The one main thing that i find wrong with this game is that, by the time i have researched Bronze working, Churned out a bunch of spearmen and archers, i have researched Iron Working.

Then, by the time i have churned out some swordmen, i have machunery and have to replace my archers.

Then Steelworking, then metal casing, gunpowder....

And so on.

10 turns for a unit, and 11 turns for a research is too unbalanced.

I also found that to be a problem with Civilization IV until I started playing on lower speeds. I always found the quick and normal speeds to be out of wack with the tech tree, where you could get your first musketman, but find it useless because you now have the tech for riflemen.

I play on Epic now, and I don't run into this problem.

♥

Because some realism in a history-based game is a bad thing ?
(or even common sense in any game)
Helloooooo ?
I'm not getting into that argument, sorry.

Feel free discussing it with all the others. Or mod it, which is probably more your style. ;)
Statement of the year :woohoo: :lol:

Well, this is just one example of a unit vs tech mishap, there are more, noted in another topic. But anyway, these "realism" issue's as you speak of, didn't occur in other CIV's. So, being spoiled by the accuracy of the other CIV's on this matter;
YES: that's another reason why CIV 5 bores me. The more i play, the more it comes painfully obvious that CIV 5 is more like a very rough diamond then a polished one.

Details or 'inconsistencies' like that don't upset me, to be honest. I can't speak for everyone though. There are far bigger issues with the game I'd rather direct my attention to.

Yeah, oke. It's the SUM of things that bothers me. You are right, this one surely is not on the top of my list :)

Anyway, if you have seen any of my other post all over here you could have known that by now.

No diplomacy at all.

No religion...

No espionage.

No corporations.

No epic battle with the stacks.

And for some reason, advancing through techs just doesn't seem that interesting anymore.
:(

I agree with all apart from the stacks, to be honest i personally would'nt really want see them back again.

No diplomacy at all.:(

I can't agree enough with this one, I'd like Alexander or Napoleon to say "hey bud, let's conquer the world together, you and me!" i'd like gandhi to invite me to join him in the pursuit of peace and high tech living, I'd like washington to say "let's go to Alpha Centauri together!" all the stories of co-operation and factions the Civ series used to randomly paint for me in my games seem to be completely gone in this version.

A big reason I am bored is that the effective strategies are boring and my empire is lame when I win.

I think the most fun in this game for me is had at the King level. Here you don't have to worry that much about winning and you can build a grand empire. Most of the world in my current game has either been razed or is a puppet for a resource. Most of the tiles are empty and free of any cultural influence. They are long 5-10 tile stretches of roads to connect the borders of my city states. I have rifiling but little else past civil service. The whole game feels like work. Some of the combat is fun but after a while it gets to the point where you know what to do and it just takes time to do it.

On king you can build all the buildings and have grand cities in a grand empire that can produce units and buildings in a short time. Your borders fill in with all the culture you generate and you can actually get more than a tree or two in the SPs. It isn't the best strategy for winning but the empire building is more fun for me. Personally I like my war games in real time. Playing CiV as a TBS war game isn't fun for me it is boring. Even if the Ai was good at war I don't want to play that as the main portion of the game. I want to build an empire and then go to war and win with my advanced output and tech lead at the foremost not units.

Exactly this.

I really cannot stand this bull**** argument of "gameplay over realism" anymore.

Civ uses reflections of reality to make the game more appealing. Well, previous versions did.
And I think the chariotarcher is a very good example of how you can mess it up.
Likewise, it seems to be questionable to have chariots prior to horsemen.
Likewise, having the German Landsknecht (Renaissance) prior to the Knight (Middle Ages)

This game has its problems but to get annoyed up such a trivial matter just shows you are looking for anything to moan about. At least complain about the stuff worth moaning about.

A good example is producing an Infantry unit without having Rifling as a tech. But you do have replaceable parts.

Or - and this is the king of "illogical but whatever" tech moments in my experience - building an interstellar spacecraft without metal or combustion.

Apparently I can colonize a whole new solar system using a spaceship made out of plastic, with a freaking steam engine for thrust. :rolleyes: :lol:

This game has its problems but to get annoyed up such a trivial matter just shows you are looking for anything to moan about. At least complain about the stuff worth moaning about.

It isn't the worst offense but really it is kind of distracting. I remember getting rifiling and then looking on the tech tree to see what else I would need to actually build the riflemen since I knew I didn't have the logical prereqs. Of course I was suprised to find out I needed nothing. Just doesn't make sense and that kind of throws off gameplay.

After being the one who brang it ?
Yeah, right...

I asked if he was talking about a bug. Turns out he was making a complaint about realism, which is what I said. How on Earth is that starting a debate about whether it is realistic or not to have chariot archers not requiring archery?

As I said, I do not want to debate that because I believe it's relatively trivial compared to other issues. Why do I deserve this scorn from you?

What do you mean? Is it a bug?

No, its a feature.

Chariot archers for example; you can build then before you every developed ARCHERY-tech.

So you're trying to make a point about realism in a thread unrelated. :rolleyes:

I agree with all apart from the stacks, to be honest i personally would'nt really want see them back again.
I bet the biggest part of you disliking "the stack" is the pain it is to handle them and you had to give the bomb order (for example) for any piece of arty in it one by one, with just as much animatons. Yeah, that is indeed very annoying. Maybe you would't be so negative about stacks when you can handle them more easely, like firing all that arty in your stack onto a city, with just ONE order. Such userinterface friendly commands would surely help much with SOD's. Putting unit's into armies (think of Totalwar games) would make it even easier.

Exactly since I regard it as being trivial, it upsets me.
Didn't Mr. Shafer study history? And then we find things like these, which you notice at first glance?

In addition, be assured that I am pointing out all the other stuff as well, but for this we have the related threads.

Exactly since I regard it as being trivial, it upsets me.
Didn't Mr. Shafer study history? And then we find things like these, which you notice at first glance?

In addition, be assured that I am pointing out all the other stuff as well, but for this we have the related threads.

Have you ever considered that the tech tree has been designed with gameplay in mind? I challenge you to redesign the whole tech tree to make sense historically. While you will probably already fail with that, just imagine afterwards whether such a tech tree would be fun to play.

I bet the biggest part of you disliking "the stack" is the pain it is to handle them and you had to give the bomb order (for example) for any piece of arty in it one by one, with just as much animatons. Yeah, that is indeed very annoying. Maybe you would't be so negative about stacks when you can handle them more easely, like firing all that arty in your stack onto a city, with just ONE order. Such userinterface friendly commands would surely help much with SOD's. Putting unit's into armies (think of Totalwar games) would make it even easier.

You give me too much credit Jediron :) the truth is i just can't calculate all the numbers involved, my maths is pretty poor and i find the 1upt a lot easier to get my head around, the stack confused me no end, i never could figure out just how many of each unit i needed to get the job done.

I'm all for stacks if thats what most people would like though, i'l just have to bring my calculator :)

Top Bottom