1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why so few people in the cities?

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Antmanbrooks, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Antmanbrooks

Antmanbrooks Chieftain

Hi, as the title suggests why did you choose to reduce the population of the cities down so much? I'm playing on Eternity on the GEM World Map, have 9 cities after 1273 turns and my cities are 13, 12, 10, 9, 8, 6 and 3 size 1's and I have a total population of 21,150. The number of soldiers I have is 2,182,000.

Just wondered what the thought process was behind reducing the number of population so much for each city size? I'm pretty sure the population of Egypt at the time would have been anything between 4m and 10m people IRL?

Can I alter this and change the population each city size has? If so, can someone explain how?

2. Petete

Petete Chieftain

I noticed that too in the demographic screen, just a minor esthetic bug I assume, I count the million soldiers in thousands.

3. Praetyre

Praetyre Chieftain

You can blame me for the pop number revisions; I took populations to represent metropolitan conurbations (rather than regional areas) and thus thought it was a tad weird that prehistoric nomadic camps had greater populations than most Bronze Age towns. The numbers used to be stored in some obscure DLL equation, but are now fixed, nonlinear sums; my intention was that the size thresholds be shifted accordingly, but that's been shelved until the initial-pop numbers of settlers are XMLized. I can quote you the original planning document, if you'd like.

4. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Furthermore the reported number for 'soldiers' is actually just a measure of military power which the screen decides to call 'soldiers', and has absolutely no relation to any sort of population measure, so can easily exceed your total population early on. I am advocating changing it to 'military power' on that screen so that people don't go 'what?' when they see 'soldiers' > population.

However, so far I have had no comments on the proposal so have not done anything about it.

5. Antmanbrooks

Antmanbrooks Chieftain

It's a weird one isn't it. Do you just take population within the city or the surrounding areas? I like the surrounding areas idea personally. I often think the best way to tie in city size with the demographics of a nation is to imagine that the area within the city borders is taken into account as well as the city square itself. So if you have hamlets, villages, camps, mines and farms etc. all around the city square they add to the overall city population count.

I don't suppose it could hurt to have the original planning document quoted if you have time? It's a minor aesthetic issue but one that bugs me all the same. Thanks in advance if you do get chance to post the quote. :)

6. KingArthur666

KingArthur666 Chieftain

I would say ignore it for now, there are plenty of far more important/interesting things for you to work on.

7. Petete

Petete Chieftain

@KingArthur666

Amen to that.

8. Praetyre

Praetyre Chieftain

I did consider proposing population boosts for improvements, but that would have been potentially problematic when you take into account differing map sizes and eras. The "Cottage" improvement may represent settlements amounting to 100,000 people in Ancient on a big map, while on smaller maps it may only be a few thousand at most. In any case, the purely cosmetic nature of it (city pop has practical implications as far as gameplay and balance is concerned) made me relent.