Why Steam is bad for you

Correct. I do not typically help solve many of the problems I read about on the internet.

Great, should I call you a liar and an idiot the next time, since that's what people are doing here. OK I won't but the point stands.

I've actually never seen a criticism of Steam that was not born of lies or misunderstanding.

You mush have missed the one about not being able to roll back to a previous version, or the fact that steam will force you to update even when auto updating is disabled the moment you go into online mode for whatever reason.

Great, should I call you a liar and an idiot the next time, since that's what people are doing here. OK I won't but the point stands.

You mush have missed the one about not being able to roll back to a previous version, or the fact that steam will force you to update even when auto updating is disabled the moment you go into online mode for whatever reason.

I have been gaming since the age of 3, I am currently almost 28, I've never needed to roll back a game to a previous version unless I was pirating.

I have never had any reason not to be as up to date as possible.

If the only two problems you can bring up are two things I can't think of a viable reason to do, then you're kind of stretching aren't you?

It's akin to saying "I can't use Steam as a toaster"... why would you want to roll back or keep a game less than up to date?

Mods. Also there were a bunch of people who went from BtS 3.03 back to 3.02 for some reason (don't remember why). And no, I don't feel like digging though all the old steam threads just to respond to you.

So you're going to provide a situation that you cannot remember the specifics of, can't remember the reason for and then provide no proof of this situation as your rebuttal to my point?

Well, I'm glad we settled that.

I cannot believe any serious strategy gamer doesn't see the problem with rollbacks.... especially in the current world of PC gaming, where virtually all patches seem to be -- whether named as such or not -- public betas.

Especially if you play mods, rollbacks are absolutely essential.

It would be one thing if Steam just made this clunky - but it doesn't - Steam makes this impossible. It doesn't let you store alternate installs. It cries whenever archive/then try to restore components (I was trying to tinker with some things over the weekend, saved a copy, then tried restoring when I got errors... Steam said no dice when I tried to put the originals back in place... had to do a full re-install).

We haven't gotten our first wave of mods yet, but from just a week of Steam and reading about it -- it looks like death to modders.... especially to those of us that combine mods, tweak our own, and such.

So you're going to provide a situation that you cannot remember the specifics of, can't remember the reason for and then provide no proof of this situation as your rebuttal to my point?

Well, I'm glad we settled that.

I don't feel like digging through the forums for it. Believe it or not, not all of us have eidetic memories and you're not important enough to send me through the thread archives.

And suddenly he shells up and switches to insults about my importance.

I thought I was the irrational Steam zealot?

Hehehe, I love you people.

As for Mod guy: There is another and better option than rolling back which I have had to turn to many times while playing heavily modded Oblivion and Fallout 3 games: Crack open the mod, find the conflict, and fix it yourself. Most Mod programming language is ******edly simple.

Apparently what I assumed was basic computer knowledge is some kind of ancient text that only a handful of us know.

You can quite simply go into your games menu click on Civ5 and set it to pause updating. It will NOT update your game if the updating is paused. I do this quite often if there are multi updates for all my steam games and I don't want them updating while I'm trying to play one of them. I just allow them to start back up when I'm done playing.

As to why exactly you would want to roll back, well I guess you have your own reasons which is fine, but you are right steam does not allow that. But then neither do a lot of other games for that matter.

Guys you can backup all Steam files, so a rollback is easily possible.

http://supportwiki.steampowered.com/wiki/Using_the_Steam_Backup_Feature

Also to the poster who said Steam will auto update if you go back to online mode from offline?

Er... No it doesn't I just ran a test using FM2010, fresh install from CD in offline mode. Turned off auto-update in Steam. Went online with Steam, now I know for a fact there is an update for this game. Well guess what it didn't start updating this...

We haven't gotten our first wave of mods yet, but from just a week of Steam and reading about it -- it looks like death to modders.... especially to those of us that combine mods, tweak our own, and such.

I think mods are going to be better with Civ 5 because ModBuddy allows you to create your own from someone else's mod. Please look up the facts first before posting.

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/entry.php?15-Dale-s-Mod-Blog-Civ5-Modding-Explained

And suddenly he shells up and switches to insults about my importance.

I thought I was the irrational Steam zealot?

Hehehe, I love you people.

As for Mod guy: There is another and better option than rolling back which I have had to turn to many times while playing heavily modded Oblivion and Fallout 3 games: Crack open the mod, find the conflict, and fix it yourself. Most Mod programming language is ******edly simple.

Apparently what I assumed was basic computer knowledge is some kind of ancient text that only a handful of us know.

RPG, RPG, RPG... I mean, I don't want to disparage the challenge of figuring out which earring you added blew out a z-buffer in the pixel shader for your Night Elf Mohawk grenade....

But - it's quite a different story in Civ mods.

It's more than just crashes - and even those can be serious problems that require a lot of digging, especially if the mod was deeper than just an appended XML file and touched the code - it's balance that cannot be easily "fixed".

There are a lot of Civ4 mods that became badly unbalanced with different iterations/releases because actions or AI proclivities were changed. These were things one could just "fix" -- even the modders themselves, who wrote them to begin with -- often needed months, assistance from the community, and public betas to rebalance. Even beyond that - no one should have to learn python in order to enjoy mods.

But even beyond, the whole point is that this a serious problem in Steam that SHOULD be easy for Steam to fix.

Every other digital distribution channel allows it -- Impulse does by providing complete iteration backups and one-click restores. Gamers Gate lets you choose your own paths and leaves the updates to you. Even Direct2Drive gives you more freedom.

Cripes, even Apple/iStore -- and Apple is the king of "do it our way and ONLY our way" -- let's you easily revert to previous iterations at the drop of a hat.

This is my first Steam experience - and I hope it's my last. Their model is completely inappropriate for something like a Civilization title.

Hey, maybe it's great for RPGs and FPSs -- I'm certainly not calling for it to be outlawed -- but for a title like Civilization, you control of the updates and install specifics should be left in the hands of the players.

Guys you can backup all Steam files, so a rollback is easily possible.

http://supportwiki.steampowered.com/wiki/Using_the_Steam_Backup_Feature

Also to the poster who said Steam will auto update if you go back to online mode from offline?

Er... No it doesn't I just ran a test using FM2010, fresh install from CD in offline mode. Turned off auto-update in Steam. Went online with Steam, now I know for a fact there is an update for this game. Well guess what it didn't start updating this...

I think mods are going to be better with Civ 5 because ModBuddy allows you to create your own from someone else's mod. Please look up the facts first before posting.

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/entry.php?15-Dale-s-Mod-Blog-Civ5-Modding-Explained

We'll see.

One of the best parts of IV mods were the ability to employ bits and pieces and "mod-mods" -- it was incredibly easy to drop in additional chunks onto an existing mod as you saw fit.

All I know is that mod problems were/remain an omnipresent complaint on the Paradox boards by those unfortunate enough to have gone through Steam for EU3/HOI3/Vicky/etc.

Cripes, even Apple/iStore -- and Apple is the king of "do it our way and ONLY our way" -- let's you easily revert to previous iterations at the drop of a hat.

Can you please let me know how to do this with Apple apps? Because I'm pretty sure the only way to do it is with a backup. Hmmm... Same as Steam.

I gave a link to the easy method used for backing up Steam files? Hence allowing you to keep versions of the game.

Direct2Drive is just an online store not much else. Not familiar with Gamers Gate but you can turn off auto update in Steam too.

Set them up and we'll knock them down! :goodjob:

What point would that be?

That people here have been calling the OP a liar and an idiot simply because he has a problem they never experienced. I would have thought that was obvious.

And there have been zillions of people who say that steam won't let you play the game until you update.

Most Mod programming language is ******edly simple.
I didn't know C++ was ******edly simple. I guess that makes all the Digital Arts majors at my college ******s; most of them failed the second C++ class. The SDK is the reason why mods break on updates, not XML or python/lua.

but you are right steam does not allow that. But then neither do a lot of other games for that matter.

Aside from MMOs (which have quite legitimate reasons for behaving like this), I don't know of any games that do that.

Can you please let me know how to do this with Apple apps? Because I'm pretty sure the only way to do it is with a backup. Hmmm... Same as Steam.

Well, I'm only running an iPhone and iTunes, which includes Safari -- but it's right there in the main interface... click a restore point for any/either/all

In fact did you even read my post where I gave a link to the easy method used for backing up Steam files? Hence allowing you to keep versions of the game!

First of all - it's completely wrong... it's apparently written for XP because it doesn't work in Vista. What's worse - as I said - Steam cries like the spoiled child it is if you change a file on your own AND if then try to restore the original.

Direct2Drive is just an online store not much else. Not familiar with Gamers Gate but you can turn off auto update in Steam too.
Ummm... all I want out of steam is a digital distribution channel, too.

Geez - this sounds like Ryan Howard circa season 3 of the Office -- why don't they just call it SteamINFINITY and be done with it. Buy paper...errr... games and then social network in our virtual game store! Why, I bet I can discuss the upcoming election in the SteamInfinity community, too.

No thanks.

I don't want a digital distribution "community" -- give me a local license, and leave the rest to me. If you want to get on my good side, innocuously let me know there are updates I might want to download... then go away and stay away.

That people here have been calling the OP a liar and an idiot simply because he has a problem they never experienced. I would have thought that was obvious.

That is unfortunate. It is not obvious to me as I'm not sure why you took that issue up with me...

Gamers Gate is just like Amazon without anything to ship.

Which is a bad thing why?

These are all just digital distribution channels -- as I said -- a good thing inherently.

If that's all I want out of Steam - validate my license, then let ME decide what, when, and how I want to update, let ME individually download mods and install them as I see fit (or install just portions as I see fit).... Why can't it just do that?

Why do I have to forced into their update flow, their cursed 'community', and their way of playing what I purchased?

And there have been zillions of people who say that steam won't let you play the game until you update.

Could I see your source of zillions of people saying this? And you would take these zillions of people's word over those of us who have been using steam for a lot longer then some of you and who have told you (several of us have) that you don't have to auto update your game.

Maybe you should check it out yourself since you seem so willing to take these zillions of people's word (since it supports your complaint) and not take our word for it (since it doesn't support your complaint). You keep holding onto this argument because it gives you justification to hate something you don't seem willing to understand. Steam is not bad like some of you keep claiming. It's just different and it affects change to your routine.

Top Bottom