Why Steam is bad for you

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by jihe, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Rossifer

Rossifer Chieftain

Yes but that is just a backup from the last time it backed your iPhone or iPod up. and doesn't actually roll back apps to a previous version unless you installed an app directly from the device and didn't use iTunes.

Nope not written for XP, just right-click the game in Steam and select 'Backup Game Files...' Follow the wizard and voila! It will only let you backup fully patched games but if you have the latest version running just as you like, back it up now.

I just ran FM2010 from the clean install and it worked fine on Win 7 64bit. Civ runs on the old version too I bet some people are unintentionally still running .07 of Civ 5.

If you have a license for Civ 5 but don't want to use Steam I'm sure there is a torrent you could track down which is Steam free.

From looking back at this thread there seem to be more positive points than negative. Just be glad they choose Steam and not something proprietary like EA or Ubisoft do.

2. Novem

Novem Chieftain

Well, umm I have looked over that thread and no where do I see a zillion people. I see people that are upset at change. I see others that are willing to try things that are different.

Are there any things specific that you yourself have experienced that can be construed as a major problem with how Steam functions? I'm honestly curious.

3. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

I never said it was bad, Rossifer just said he was not familiar what Gamers Gate is.

4. deanej

deanej Deity

Might have been the other one or deep in; the forum's running very slow for me and I don't remember when it came up either. A forum search once the activity dies down will certainly find it.

5. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

Err...

that capability of Civ IV was itself modded in. It ended up getting packaged in for BTS, the /second/ expansion pack, but it was originally created by a team of modders after the Civ IV SDK dropped.

6. Maxor127

Maxor127 Warlord

The main reason I hate Steam is that it takes away my freedom. I can't ever sell my games or transfer them to someone else's account. So if I play Civ5 and get sick of it, and want to give it to my brother, I can't.

7. deanej

deanej Deity

You can't even give a steam game as a gift if you don't have a steam account. Given that I have received the majority of games as Christmas and Birthday gifts from family, all I can say is this: thank god I now have a checking account and a credit card. Too bad I'm a poor college student that can't responsibly afford the $60 for civ5 + Babylon because books and gas are too expensive and my relative lack of time most of the year.

8. Bridger

Bridger Prince

There is a simple way around this. Some people create a different steam account for each game they buy, then they sell the account (username and password) or give it away to whomever they want when they are done with the game. Seems like a decent workaround.

9. deanej

deanej Deity

Some of us hate workarounds. Not to mention that it's illegal due to the EULA (which is considered a binding contract in the US).

10. duxup

duxup Prince

Well a law can be written but it doesn't mean it will stand up. Last legal analysis I read (EFF) noted that there has been no judicial ruling on the legality of an EULA on individual users.

11. stoicfaux

stoicfaux Chieftain

OTOH, if you have a gaming laptop in addition to a desktop, Steam lets you play the the game on both (but not at the same time) without any muss or fuss. Use gmail to send saved games between the two.

Plus, if you upgrade your computer or get a new computer, it's trivial to reinstall all of your Steam games.

Plus^2, Steam makes it easy and cost effective for publishers to sell old games at dirt cheap prices.

Plus^3, Steam provides DRM that isn't obnoxious and DRM that publishers feel confident in. This allows publishers to a bit more freedom in how they price their games. And allows them a bit more profit since they don't have to deal with physical product nor brick & mortar stores as much. We have movie DVDs in a vending kiosk, how soon until your local Gamestop or WalMart's shelf space for software is replaced with a game DVD kiosk?

There are some benefits to Steam and digital distribution in general.

12. deanej

deanej Deity

13. Rebel44

Rebel44 Warlord

I played HoI3 since release and all mods worked with Steam version without any problems, beta patches were easy to install just like with retail version. Only screwup was when retards from Paradox :):):):)ed up Steam version of 1.3 patch - I created hotfix, which became semiofficial solution - it took Paradox over 4 months to fix this problem.

Moderator Action: Profanity is not allowed on the forums. Please watch your language.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

14. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

You really can trust Monte Cristo for having the worst game ever released?

Civ V is worth 29 US dollars. Anyone says other wise have a lot of explaining to do.

run and tell that, homeboy

15. Xiao Xiong

Xiao Xiong Prince

It can. Just click the option not to keep the game up to date :lol:

Might do you well to learn a little more about steam before you criticize it too much.

16. DPyro

DPyro Chieftain

I don't think many people are aware of this (haven't seen it mentioned before) but you get 10 save slots on the "Steam Cloud" so you can save your games online.

17. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Not all games are cloud enabled, though Civ5 is.

18. Beardy Dan

Beardy Dan Warlord

Tell me about it. :(

I have a bunch that i would REALLY like to be Cloud enabled, X3 Terran Conflict being the main one.

19. Eejit

Eejit Chieftain

I had that problem with the demo at one point, DirectX is the problem, get the fixer thingy from Microsoft.

20. Oneluv

Oneluv Warlord

But yours wasn't steam. Try your volume control?[/QUOTE]

r u ignorant or just a troll?