why the AI never pays tribute??

In my last game (where seemingly everyone declared war on me, yet in doing so, saying they didn't like their chances but they felt they had no choice or whatever) I wasn't able to get any tribute despite having the most powerful military in the game. Having that AND taking over cities? Still no bribe to end the war.

Ah, true, sometimes you have enemies who are determined to fight you to the bitter end, even when the last city you left them with is a 1 tile island. That's not actually because of stinginess though, it's because of holding a grudge. I'm not sure how to feel about that one. Annoying, perhaps, but pretty realistic for it to happen sometimes. And it's not like they pose a real threat. Still, you can't help thinking "I cannot believe these idiots" -.-

I think they sometimes understand that you are going to win no matter what, and since you (probably) haven't been a nice neighbour, you are blocked into a semi-permanent war status with each other. I had one game with Hiawatha where this happened: there were only 4 civs, and when I wiped the first one (Moctezuma! I was actually doing them a favour :shifty:!), the other 2 DoWed me with those same lines; I couldn't make peace with the last one until I literally owned all the possible land besides his capital.

I would like to know why when I have made a declaration of friendship I can't ask for money or resources.

That is basically what happened in Civ 4, so I guess they'll put it back in a patch. Next one focuses on more positive diplo modifiers, IIRC, so it may come then.

In Civ3, they let you renegotiate peace treaties. The problem of course was, if you failed to come to some agreement, it would be war. I could see this as a compromise. Essentially, a demand of tribute creates the mandatory 10 turns peace that a peace treaty would bring.

You get my vote :) Maybe raise that time a bit? Or else get all the vassal system back, but I guess it isn't going to happen in a long while.

Just kill off more of their units. Honestly, a civ that knows they're beaten is anything but stingy. They'll often give you everything they have, including all of their cities besides the capitol, just for you to leave them alone for 10 turns.

Yes, when THEY decide to capitulate, which is pretty unpredictable. Meanwhile, the very turn before they decide to hand you 99% of their cities and the keys to the princess' chastity belt, you could offer them a peace deal asking for NO cities, and 1 gpt only, and they'll refuse. Frequently, they will even refuse a deal of simple peace, with no stings attached, even when their army has been annihilated and all you have left to do is mop up the idiot's cities. The AI is just stupid beyond friggin belief.

Actually, the fact that they want to make money releasing other civs is the reason they do want to fix it. If you want to see what happens with 2K games when there is no DLC (and hence no vested interest in putting the work and money into improving the game), go play Bioshock 2 and ask them why you still can't rebind the keys properly after all this time.

Yeah, the fact that a patch and DLC tend to go hand in hand really helps indicate that DLC helps drive the patching process, not hinder it.

Yes, when THEY decide to capitulate, which is pretty unpredictable. Meanwhile, the very turn before they decide to hand you 99% of their cities and the keys to the princess' chastity belt, you could offer them a peace deal asking for NO cities, and 1 gpt only, and they'll refuse. Frequently, they will even refuse a deal of simple peace, with no stings attached, even when their army has been annihilated and all you have left to do is mop up the idiot's cities. The AI is just stupid beyond friggin belief.

Yeah, it's even more annoying when they demand that YOU give up a ton of stuff. You've beaten them into irrelevancy, and yet you'll have times where they'll ask for a ton of your resources from you in exchange for peace, as if they're doing you a huuuuge favor. Really? You're just digging your own grave when you do that, because eventually I get tired of dealing with you and I wipe you out for good...

I think if they're "Scared" (you know, when they randomly come up to you and say stuff, like how the hostile civs do) you can get tribute. But I rarely see civs actually get scared, even if I'm right next door to them and could wipe them out in 5 turns. Civs in general are really stingy in this game; even trying to get a peace deal in my favor when I'm sacking city after city is impossible . Typically, they demand that I give THEM stuff back, as if I'm losing the war. So yeah, cause of that, I haven't asked for regular tribute during peacetime in forever.

I had Persia "Afraid" for most of one game a while back. I'm not even sure why, since my military wasn't terribly imposing.

Yeah, it's even more annoying when they demand that YOU give up a ton of stuff. You've beaten them into irrelevancy, and yet you'll have times where they'll ask for a ton of your resources from you in exchange for peace, as if they're doing you a huuuuge favor. Really? You're just digging your own grave when you do that, because eventually I get tired of dealing with you and I wipe you out for good...

That's happening in my game right now. Arabia was to my south, but they passed my borders and started settling cities to the north of me. At first, I was thinking about wiping them out, but I decided, "No, let them expand. They're 'friendly' after all." But then I saw a settler heading into the spot where a crossroads connected my three cities and he ignored my "Don't settle near me" demand, so it was war.

I took that city and then decided that all their previously offensive northern settlements were mine too. I've wiped out their army completely at this point and taken three of the five cities north of me. Yet, instead of giving the other two as I demand, they come to me asking for all my luxuries and a ton of gold.

What's that line from Gladiator? Why don't these people know they're conquered?

That's happening in my game right now. Arabia was to my south, but they passed my borders and started settling cities to the north of me. At first, I was thinking about wiping them out, but I decided, "No, let them expand. They're 'friendly' after all." But then I saw a settler heading into the spot where a crossroads connected my three cities and he ignored my "Don't settle near me" demand, so it was war.

I took that city and then decided that all their previously offensive northern settlements were mine too. I've wiped out their army completely at this point and taken three of the five cities north of me. Yet, instead of giving the other two as I demand, they come to me asking for all my luxuries and a ton of gold.

What's that line from Gladiator? Why don't these people know they're conquered?

That's because it starts playing "game mode" ie once you are marked as a "warmonger" the computer realizes that you will conquer it eventually, so its going to make its conquest as hard for you as possible.

That's because it starts playing "game mode" ie once you are marked as a "warmonger" the computer realizes that you will conquer it eventually, so its going to make its conquest as hard for you as possible.

Well it goes into that mode too soon then, cause there's plenty of times where I just want the computer to show some respect and admit they lost the war and just back off and give me a luxury or some gold for my troubles (yeah, I know, trying to get a computer game enemy to show me respect...) but instead they make crazy demands and so I just get annoyed with them and am forced to kill them. If they want to just play "game mode", they should at least offer a regular peace deal with no strings attached, rather than try and demand I give them stuff for no reason. It just causes them more destruction when they've already lost 3 cities and their army and they're like "We'll agree to peace if you give us Open Borders, Sugar, Wine, Ivory, oh, and that city you took from us? We want it back too" because then I have no choice but to continue to destroy their empire.

Well it goes into that mode too soon then, cause there's plenty of times where I just want the computer to show some respect and admit they lost the war and just back off and give me a luxury or some gold for my troubles (yeah, I know, trying to get a computer game enemy to show me respect...) but instead they make crazy demands and so I just get annoyed with them and am forced to kill them. If they want to just play "game mode", they should at least offer a regular peace deal with no strings attached, rather than try and demand I give them stuff for no reason. It just causes them more destruction when they've already lost 3 cities and their army and they're like "We'll agree to peace if you give us Open Borders, Sugar, Wine, Ivory, oh, and that city you took from us? We want it back too" because then I have no choice but to continue to destroy their empire.

the don't pay tribute in face of danger, they don't give something extra to show respect in capitulation. i'm not even sure they ask for tribute themselves (i'm talking about gold, not luxuries). civ5 diplomacy is simply poor.

Giving tribute isn't pointless, it just doesn't feel very fulfilling. Essentially, not giving gifts to your friends when they say they need them hurts your friendship. The question is if these little things are worthwhile considering other benefits (usually, more fair trade deals).

Giving tribute isn't pointless, it just doesn't feel very fulfilling. Essentially, not giving gifts to your friends when they say they need them hurts your friendship. The question is if these little things are worthwhile considering other benefits (usually, more fair trade deals).

The only time it makes a difference either way is when you have a DoF with them and they ask for something. Then it prevents a negative modifier (but doesn't give a positive one). I was referring to the circumstances that were being talked about more specifically in this thread-- the OP wasn't asking for stuff from friends, he was demanding tribute from non-friends. The AI never does this to you AFAIK (I've never seen it), I suppose for the same reason they don't give in to yours: there's no point (not sure why it's even in the game at all. A half-finished feature, I guess). But yeah, there's no positive modifier if you give crap to people just to be nice. Even if that crap is cities that used to belong to them that you liberated from someone else.

I suppose there could hypothetically be a modifier based on whether or not you give in to demands (from someone you don't have a DoF with), but we just can't tell since the AI doesn't try to do this.

When negotiating for peace I think the AI will consider your current possition.

In my current game I was in a war with Genghis, I was about to capture one of his cities.
On his turn he comes to me offering 1000 gold for peace, I refuse.
Then I proceed to take the city, without loosing any units, now I ask for peace but he won't pay for it, so I keep the war going.
I have my units heal up in my new teritory, and move in on his next city, ask for peace and get 500 (all he had) gold and 5 gpt (not all he had) for it.

Yeah, except you can ask for like 50 gold, and they'll probably decline, and then you'll decline their request later for like 50gpt (I love when they come up to you with insane requests like 1000 gold, or huge GPT), you'll turn it down, and you have a permanent negative diplomatic modifier for refusing it. At least, that's how it always seems to me.

They only ask for money/resources/etc when you have a DOF active. you can't ask for help from your DOF-friends, but you can demand money/resources from rivals/potential enemies.

They only ask for money/resources/etc when you have a DOF active. you can't ask for help from your DOF-friends, but you can demand money/resources from rivals/potential enemies.

Yeah, I know. I'm complaining about how you can't get anything from your "friends" for DOFs it seems. And demands just piss the AI off.

Top Bottom