Why would ANYONE play Suleiman?

Tamed

Warlord
His passive is absolute garbage! Atleast Bismarcks is somewhat feasible. Nothing Suleiman gets makes up for how awful that is, either.

people who like the citynames?

Someone might play 'Ol Suleiman precisely because his ability is so awful. But otherwise... I have no idea.

-P

You can't even see it when you play as him!

And let's add to the fact that on standard games he almost always gets dropped in the desert.

I'm playing a game on the Mediterranean map where he got dumped in North Africa. I was hoping for Anatolia, but what's a Turk with a badass turban to do?

Bismarck has one of the best passives if in the right situation. If you have a large map and/or few opponents, barbarians go wild and multiply like mad. Germans get 50 gold a pop at their camps as well as a 50% chance of getting the barbarian unit, so those go off and the chance for reward is exponential. I think early on, my return from gold - plus the ruin bonuses that comes with massive exploration - must have been greater than my nation's GDP. On top of that, you easily have the largest military in the game without having to build any units.

You can't even see it when you play as him!

And let's add to the fact that on standard games he almost always gets dropped in the desert.

The point of such a stunning piece of headgear isn't to see it, but rather to have it seen. And to keep sand out of your hair when you start in a desert.

I play random all the time, so I just roll with the punches. Won an Ottoman game on Emperor (think I grabbed 1 galley?)

But yes that ability absolutely blows.

I played Suleiman! The Tutorial made me.:lol:

his unique ability sucks, but his unique unit the Janissary is good. It replaces the musketman with 16 strength, same as french musket, but whenever it kills an enemy it gains full health.

It's still better than US unique ability.

After playing as America a few times, I love its unique ability and find it useful. That's just my own crazy opinion though. :crazyeye:

The +1 sight comes in handy a lot of times. Even when scouting at the beginning (which I do heavily at the start) it really helps clear the map fast and find things useful such as ruins, natural wonders, or encampments to stear away from.

I also tend to buy up a lot of land while fast expanding in the beginning and this ability keeps more money in my pocket. Gotta snag all those resources before the other civs or city-states do.

I think it would make more sense (from a roleplay/realism point of view) for Manifest Destiny to involve something more along the lines of a happiness boost/unhappiness unboost for taking over land controlled by an opponent. After all, the central idea of Manifest Destiny was a huge propaganda movement to keep the population of USA from raising moral quandaries about displacing the Native Americans and other colonies.

because he was Magnificent!!!

Seriously - he is the only leader that takes up 80% of the screen - maybe we should call him Suleiman the corpulent. :p

Rat

Because I liked the Ottomans in Civ IV.... didn't get much mileage out of him, though I did beat the game with him first.

his unique ability sucks, but his unique unit the Janissary is good. It replaces the musketman with 16 strength, same as french musket, but whenever it kills an enemy it gains full health.

The french musket UU has strength 20.

Top Bottom