1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why would ANYONE play Suleiman?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Tamed, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Tunch Khan

Tunch Khan King

First - Ottos are my default civ
    Second - Passive specialty is horrible but the Janissaries are great.
    Third - Soundtrack is stupendous.
    Fourth - To avoid running into Ottos in game and having to listen to Suleiman the Magnificent sound like a 22 year old engineering student.

2. evrett37

evrett37 Prince

oo I like he soundtrack too..another reason Ottos are the best civ!

3. PanicX

PanicX Chieftain

^this
    + You can upgrade it all the way to mech. inf. An army of instantly healing janissary>rifleman>infantry>mech inf. is truly incredible! This alone assures a domination victory after the medieval era if you use it well enough.

and I agree, the soundtrack is ridiculously relevant/good. :thumbsup: goes to whoever worked on it in 2k.

4. vendur

vendur Warlord

It's the worst passive, but you get fantastic unit in the janissary. And I think you keep that blood drinker ability when you upgrading them.

Bismark's is a better but not by much. Assuming you play on the harder levels, it's pretty much useless unless you get very lucky. Usually you don't even want to kill a barb camp because you just know that a nearby citystate is going to call asking to remove it at any time.

5. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

Wow, this is why I went 1/8 in converting barbarian ships in my game as the Ottomans! After I accidentally got the first one, i kept bombing and destroying the galleys with the 2 trireme's I then had.

Didn't matter though, cause I was well on my way to a domination victory with an army full of upgraded Janissaries.

6. generalwar

generalwar Philosopher

I didn't know that. Can you do the same with Rome's legions to get mechs that are building roads?:scan:

7. Bandit17

Bandit17 Warlord

With such a poor navy ai at present and the fact that their UA is only good on specific maps it is rather weak. On the other hand Jannissaries are always a serious threat in most of my games.

8. guinsoo

guinsoo Warlord

I don't think they're all that underpowered. Janissaries are great, especially when upgraded to riflemen. As others have mentioned, they keep their heal when they kill an enemy. Their two unique units are both solid, which helps to make up for their weak ability. I do think they're on the weak side overall, though. But in the long run, it's all about maximizing your advantages.

Comparing the balance of Starcraft, with three completely unique races with different tech trees, units, upgrades, etc to a game where 95% of the things are the same, save one ability and two units/buildings, is pretty silly in my opinion. It's a lot easier to balance just a few unique traits!

Hopefully in a patch or two the civs will be a bit more balanced overall.

9. Revoran

Revoran Prince

Janissaries kick ass, Sipahis are pretty good too and come in the same era making the Ottomans a Renaissance Era power civ. UA is pretty bad unless you're playing on a watery map with lots of barbs in which case it's average-good. They are the only other Ren Era power civ apart from France.

10. jahsoldier

jahsoldier Warlord

this. And as someone already noted, his turban is off the hook.

11. Murky

Murky Deity

I suppose if you play as a Random Leader you're bound to draw Ottomans at some point.

12. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

What an insightful statement! :p

13. bako1

bako1 Chieftain

Hahaha i have so much negativity toward turks that i can't righteously participate on this topic

14. bako1

bako1 Chieftain

Thats funny because Jannisaries were part of Byznantine empire then consumed by Ottomans later. Makes no sense to give them over as a unique character

15. Collic

Collic Warlord

Question: Does the American's unique ability mean that siege equipment has the standard vision range?

16. edgelachance

edgelachance Chieftain

Because the music is as magnificent as Suleiman :cool: He is a boss.

17. PanicX

PanicX Chieftain

Don't know, Rome is going to be next one after I finish this Ottoman game. It wouldn't be that useful anyway though. I never need a lot of road construction after the classical age (at least nothing the workers can't handle), but the instant healing is always useful..Actually one can say that it's even overpowered a bit..

18. silentknight111

silentknight111 Warlord

Maybe they want to get his achievement.

19. JP1

JP1 Warlord

Played as him over the weekend. Janissaries and upgraded Riflemen/Infantry are really good if you beeline them, especially fighting against computers which over-extend themselves and leave damaged units out in the front lines.

Sipahi are just passable, and his trait is cute, but nothing special. It's not bad to get extra ships for controlling the water on the map, and I converted a pretty good number of ships, but it's still likely the worst civilization bonus in the game.

20. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Chieftain

From my understanding, Legionnaires that get upgraded don't keep road building, because it's not tagged as an upgrade, whereas the healing ability of Janissaries, Immortals, and Jaguars are.