Wierd Quirks in YOUR Game

sixty4half

Prince
Okay, so I have this weird thing I do and my nephews and my friends make fun of me for it. Every time I found a religion, I found Judaism. I'm not Jewish in real life (agnostic) nor do I have any close friends that are. I just found that if I stick to Judaism then it's easier for me to pick out the Star of David as my religion. In fact, the weirdest thing just occurred to me; it seems the AI never picks Judaism. I'm never the first to found and it's always available. I don't recall a single time I couldn't pick it and this is something that would stick out in my mind.

So, I was wondering, do you guys have any quirks in your game that you do when you play? Things that don't really make a difference big picture wise, might have no impact on the game at all in fact.

You're not alone -- it's always Shinto for me. AI never takes it, and I can spot it on the map with ease.

If I play as Catherine, then I must pick Eastern Orthodoxy. If I play as Washington, William, or Elizabeth, then I must pick Protestantism. If Isabella, then Catholicism. (Rome for me does not go with Catholicism: I have to use the SPQR mod).

I don't rage-quit if an AI 'steals' the correct Religion -- but I do throw a temper tantrum.

Okay, so I have this weird thing I do and my nephews and my friends make fun of me for it. Every time I found a religion, I found Judaism. I'm not Jewish in real life (agnostic) nor do I have any close friends that are. I just found that if I stick to Judaism then it's easier for me to pick out the Star of David as my religion. In fact, the weirdest thing just occurred to me; it seems the AI never picks Judaism. I'm never the first to found and it's always available. I don't recall a single time I couldn't pick it and this is something that would stick out in my mind.

So, I was wondering, do you guys have any quirks in your game that you do when you play? Things that don't really make a difference big picture wise, might have no impact on the game at all in fact.

The reason you don't see Judaism is because of how the AI determines the "religion"

If their prefered religion is available, then they will pick
If it's not, then they pick the first available religion from the left (Which is why Buddhism, Confucianism and Hinduism are almost pretty much guaranteed to happen) However, if there's another AI with a perfered religion that hasn't been found yet (i.e Siam, Korea and India) then they will skip all three and go to the next available.

Judaism and Sikhism are the only religions that aren't assigned to any civ.

ANYWAY

My quirk is the need to found cities like AI, quite frankly, I tend to imitate AI a lot. For the most part I found cities 3 tiles apart every time and almost never if ever go beyond that (the only exception is if I decide that there's going to be, and I almost always found one, in between, so i can forward settle and then fill that gap later on even if it doesn't yield a good city)

I always try to play the same religion too, Taoism, I like the symbol for is distinctiveness and I find it easier to see but on those rare occasions I don't get it I don't seem to have a problem it's mostly habit.

My worst quirk is I play at the highest two levels so I'll usually beeline for either Great Lighthouse or Great Pyramid (I play marathon) depending on if water or land game and I have a habit of rage quitting when I don't get it (is it too much to ask that I get just one wonder?): I didn't always do that my tolerance seems to have fallen in recent years.

I like Taoism because it's more like a philosophy/cosmology, and there aren't any gods to worship. Taoism is really interesting because to try and comprehend the concept of tao is actually very difficult, and people spend many years trying to understand it. It's kind of like trying to understand the principles underlying quantum physics. In fact, there are college courses that tie taoism and quantum physics together.

P.S.: I'm not Chinese and I was raised Christian, but I am a non-religious person (agnostic/athiest).

Pick Judaism and change it to Jewjitsu ;)
One of the weird things I do try to roleplay my civ's historical diplomatic relations. For example if I was the French and England was in my game I would be mortal enemies with them until about the end of the Industrial era then try to become allies.

I like to play Ethiopia just to be able to name my religion Rastafarianism, but I still haven't settled on a symbol that I like for it.

Always pick Taoism. Always have. Maybe because the Tao Te Ching is the only of the corresponding texts I have read.

The symbol is so aesthetic, too. A japanese girl once explained to me the significance that Yin and Yang carries and I've been in love ever since.

It is also one of the religions that are seldom picked and it is easily distinguishable from the other sings. I see FilthyRobot always founds Taoism, too, whenever he gets the chance.

Seems to be quite the crowd pleaser.

I need to build a great person improvement like academy or customs house in a place where it looks nice and fits in. Academy goes in a nice looking grassland spot, factories next to the mines - stuff like that. I sometimes spend gold to buy fitting spot for my first academy.

Top Bottom