1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wikipedia Page

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by thomas.berubeg, Aug 19, 2009.

1. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

I just wanted to let you all know I created a wikipedia page. though it is barebones, as of now, it'de be nice if people added stuff.

This is the text of the page, if Wiki deleates it (stickit back up)

2. Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco Callous Calling

Let's hope that some jerk doesn't try to send it to speedy deletion :please:

3. thomas.berubeg

they have, but I argued. other people go there and quickly add some stuff. it may help prevent deletion.

4. nihonjeff

nihonjeff Chieftain

I think you'd have better luck sticking to the basic details about the mod -- what it's for, what it does, some of the more prominent features, and some words about how it has been received (awards, etc.). Launching into an exhaustive treatise on the backstory and mythology of the world in which the mod takes place is only going to invite deletion, because, honestly, that information isn't even necessary for active players of the mod to know. Anyone unfamiliar with the mod looking for information on Wikipedia will see a block of arcane text discussing the mythology and, most likely, will quickly lose interest. An argument can definitely be made that FfH2 is worthy of a Wikipedia article, but I think we'll have a much better chance of making the page stick if we keep the information relevant, concise, and easily accessible to people from outside this forum.

5. thomas.berubeg

do we want to rewrite it here? and then put it up?

6. Emptiness

Emptiness []

Perhaps you might consider an indirect approach. Since the CivIV page is already established it might be easier to add to it rather than to create a new page from scratch. I suggest that you go to the Civilization IV page discussion and suggest adding a "Mods" section, to list the various mods made for CivIV. If you modify the page directly it will probably be reverted, but if you can get some (wikipedia) community support behind the idea of a mods section then that would be a way to get FfH2's foot in the door, so to speak. Once there is a mods section, listing FfH2, then it might be easier to create a FfH2 page as a link off of the mention of FfH2 on the CivIV page. Loose pages are easy targets for deletion, but a page that's providing more information about a sub-topic of another page should be easier to defend.

7. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

I vote for a mods paragraph on the Civ 4 page, with links to Fall From Heaven 2, Fall Further, Orbis, Fall Further Plus, Dune Wars, Ect. Mainly say in the section that the modding platform on Civ 4 has allowed for talented fans to create from slight tweaks to total overhauls of the game.

Might be wise to also add such mods as Sevomod, Rise of Mankind, and the like.

Since the creators of Civ 4 made it geared towards customization, I think they would also be behind the addition of a Mods section to the page, as that is now the "official" draw for the game ... well except for intense ladder people >< ... but there is certainly a potential gain for Firaxis, for the added knowledge for what Civilization truly is today.

heck, you can use my above words, copy and pasted (with credit to me) as part of your argument or whatnot. I may edit it myself in the near future.

8. thomas.berubeg

Thank you, that is a good idea.

unfortunatly, i'm not going to be near my computer (or even a family computer) for the next week or so, as I am moving to my university.

So, i'll get cracking on that once I have a steady location, again, unless someone does it in the mean time.

9. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Chieftain

Well, there's already mention of FfH in Beyond the Sword entry
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_IV:_Beyond_the_Sword#Modding